SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vanillafields

How do I arrange big living/dining/play space?

vanillafields
12 years ago

Hello All, a newbie here :). I spent the last few days reading past posts, the forum surely is a mount of information and helpful knowledge.. Here's my dilemma: big and long, open living space in our new apartment. We recently moved from a small 3 bedroom apartment to a 3 story house and we're having a tough time organizing the place (well, I am, husband would just throw in the couch and a tv and call it a day ;)). The living area now is probably 3 x the previous space, but not that ideal of a layout though. Once you open the front door, you walk straight into the long living room with windows on almost every wall. It's furthermore divided into 2 spaces (columns and the different floor colors - we rent so not much to be able to change here). The first area has 2 big windows, the second area has a fireplace and a window across, wide entry to dining room.

The previous tenants setup was: couches, chairs, coffee table and TV in the first space, dining table with chairs in the second space (with the fireplace) and playroom in the third space. I'd ideally want to keep the dining table close to the kitchen, which leaves the divided living space for parent 'adult' living area and my daughter's toy heaven ;).

I had a thought about putting the dining table behind the sofa, and relegating toys into the blue room and making a designated playroom, but then the dining area is all the way in the front of the house, kitchen all the way to the back... And once you open the front door, you see the table as the first thing. Now you trip over the toys, not ideal, either.. I'd really like to keep the couch where it is, love that fireplace, right now the sofa is slightly slanted.

Attached is also my idea for a coffee table, the round one was a temporary (free) CL replacement for our coffee table that got damaged during the move. The glass is not great with a active 2 year old. I already have the hairpin legs, need the tabletop and a warm day to make the table - it'll fit the space right? Hope so.. Please help me brainstorm ideas how to finish up that space! Should we switch dining/place spaces around? I know the place needs wall decor, curtains, maybe another small reading chair. The white bookcase can be moved, it's anchored to the wall, and it seemed best placement for it.. Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Living room pix

Comments (7)