SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomatobob_va7

'Best meatballs I ever tasted' ? for LOU

tomatobob_va7
14 years ago

"The best meatballs IÂve ever tasted." ThatÂs what my wife said about this recipe. I made this dish last weekend. It took most of Sunday morning, including 2.5 hours in the oven. In a thread about his own meatball recipe, Lou asked me for this recipe, so here is a summarized version of it. If you want the full version, you might try your local library for CookÂs Illustrated, Sep/Oct 2009.

Hearty Italian Meat Sauce (Sunday Gravy)

Sauce

2 T olive oil

1 side of baby back ribs, patted dry, salted and peppered, cut into 2-rib sections

1 pound spicy Italian sausage

2 medium onions, sliced

1.25 tsp oregano

3 T tomato paste

4 garlic cloves, minced

2 28-oz cans crushed tomatoes

2/3 cup beef broth

¼ cup fresh basil leaves chopped

Heat oil in large dutch oven and brown ribs and sausages. Remove.

Add onions and herbs and cook until onions begin to brown. Add tomato paste and cook until it darkens. Add garlic, then canned tomatoes. Put meats back in pot, cover, and cook in 325 oven for 2 and one-half hours. [I found that this time cooked the sausage and ribs too long and would add meats to cook for a total of 90 minutes.]

Meatballs

Begin to make meatballs about an hour before the sauce is finished.

2 slices white bread

½ cup buttermilk

¼ cup flat leaf parsley

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 egg yolk

½ t salt [I would add more]

¼ t red pepper flakes

1 lb meatloaf mix [I used 1 lb ground beef + ½ lb bulk breakfast sausage]

1 oz thin sliced prosciutto, chopped

1 oz Pecorino Romano, grated [I couldn't find PR, so used Asiago]

½ cup olive oil

Put first 7 items in a bowl and mix well. Add remaining ingredients [but not olive oil] and mix again. Make into large meatballs [I used a medium ice-cream scoop]. Brown meatballs in hot oil, and add to sauce in dutch oven to cook for 15 minutes.

Dress cooked spaghetti lightly with the sauce, plate, and add a meatball, a sausage, and a section of ribs to each plate. Serve remaining meats and remaining sauce at the table for those who want them.

If you try this, I'd like to hear what you think of it. Tomatobob

Comments (11)