SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Meatballs and more meatballs

annie1992
14 years ago

I have been promising my girls I'd make meatballs, so I broke down and made them tonight after work. I went home at noon and took ten of these out of the freezer:

{{gwi:1484917}}

When I came home at 6 pm, it was still frozen, I decided I could turn the heat up just a little bit more. (grin)

Anyway, that 10 pounds of ground beef made 16 dozen meatballs. I bake them, I don't fry them, and I can get 4 dozen on my aluminum half sheet pans, so if I use both oven racks I can bake 8 dozen at a time. After they are baked I freeze them and use them for meals later:

{{gwi:1484918}}

I've never really liked meatballs but this is one recipe that I'll actually eat and the girls love them. I used Rocco DeSpirito's Mama's Meatballs, a recipe that was posted here a couple of years ago and got very popular. They are not at all dense or heavy, the mixture is very wet and the meatballs turn out kind of "fluffy", if a meatball can be light and fluffy, LOL:

{{gwi:1484919}}

Elery and I are supposed to make appetizers for 300 people in May for his son Ben's wedding, so next weekend we're going to make several different recipes and let Ben and his fiancee sample them so they can decide what they'd like. I'm going to bring some of the meatballs and make a couple of different sauces, I'm thinking maybe a BBQ sauce, a sweet and sour, maybe a creamy swedish type sauce, we'll see.

So now my freezer is well stocked with meatballs until Amanda comes to visit, then I'll come up "missing" a few, they're packed 2 dozen per bag and the grandkids love them just plain.

Annie

Comments (58)

• canarybird01
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow those look really good Annie! 16 dozen OMG.

I'm making some today ...I think....I have the meat defrosting but they may turn out as patties instead. But I'm just making one pound's worth for today's lunch.

That would be some job to make them for 300 if that's what they'd like for the wedding. But then you and Elery are such a good team at cooking up for a crowd!

SharonCb

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Once again Annie is not content to make just a little of anything! LOL! Appetizers for 300 is just a walk in the park for you and Elery. I think it's time for me to make meatballs again. 'Course, I only make 3 lbs. worth at a time.

Teresa

• Related Discussions

Meatball shrubs

Q

Comments (4)
    that usually brings to mind .. the poodle like shrubs... meatballs on sticks ... either can be cut to 3 to 6 inches.. and totally renovated into a more natural form.. right after bloom.. or now.. its jsut whether you want of confirm ID .... some might suggest a 3 year program of renovation ... but if the only other option is death.. cut them down after bloom [and you can ID the second on such.. and see if what you get back by fall.. leads to reprive.. or death ... i doubt you could kill either of them.. thru pruning.. so let your inner psycho free ... ken
    ...See More

That's a Spicy meatball

Q

Comments (9)
    Josh I love spicy Italian type of meatballs and I make some once in a while. Now that I am reminded, defrosting some ground beef. Tomorrow is the day. This time I will make it SOMWHAT spicier, like adding equivalent a 2 Habanero, into 2 lbs meat. I also blend the garlic and onion RAW. I love Italian herbs. So I add my own herbs to plain bread crumb. I pan fry /saute the meatballs instead of cooking in the oven. But this time I am going to do it in the oven. Getting hungry already.
    ...See More

Frankie Pelligrino's meatballs

Q

Comments (22)
    Rao's Marinara Sauce makes approximately 7 cups from Rao's Cookbook - page 5 2 twenty-eight ounce cans imported Italian plum tomatoes with basil (preferably "San Marzano") ¼ cup fine-quality olive oil 2 ounces fatback or salt pork, optional 3 tablespoons minced onion 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced salt to taste 6 leaves fresh basil, torn (optional) pinch dried oregano pepper to taste 1. Remove tomatoes from can, reserving juice in which they were packed. Using your hands, crush the tomatoes, gently remove and discard the hard core from the stem end, and remove any skin and tough membrane. Set aside 2. Put oil in a large, noncorosive saucepan over medium-low heat. If using fatback, cut into small pieces and add to the pan. Saute for about 5 minutes or until all the fat has been rendered. Remove and discard fatback. 3. Then add onion. Saute for 3 minutes or until translucent and just beginning to brown. Stir in garlic and saute for 30 seconds or until softened (see note). Stir in tomatoes, reserved juice, and salt. Raise heat, and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to a very low simmer and cook for about 1 hour or until flavors have combined and sauce is slightly thickened. If you prefer a thicker sauce, cook for an additional 15 minutes. 4. Stir in basil, oregano, and pepper, and cook for An additional minute. Remove from heat and serve. Note: Take care when adding garlic to hot oil, as it will burn and turn bitter very quickly. If this happens, discard oil and vegetables and start again. If you have leftover sauce store it tightly covered and refrigerated for a day or two. Freeze for up to 3 months.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Swedish Turkey Meatballs - low fat

Q

Comments (6)
    Here is another low fat one. Sunset magazine first suggested making these to take camping, so the instructions are geared to travel. I just make 'em and eat 'em. I use very little oil because I hate frying... Thai Turkey Sausage From Sunset magazine Perfect for campouts, you can cook up a big batch of patties at home and freeze. Heat them in camp for a great breakfast with eggs or hash-browns (Wilderness Cuisine author Carole Latimer uses sweet potatoes), tangerine juice, and papaya wedges. Notes: It's easiest to mince lemon grass in a food processor or minichopper. For best texture, mince the remaining ingredients with a knife. 1 pound ground turkey 1/4 pound green beans, ends and strings removed, minced 8 green onions, ends trimmed, minced 1 stalk (5 to 8 in.) fresh lemon grass, tough outer layers, stem end, and coarse leaves removed, minced 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh serrano chilies (2 or 3), stemmed, seeded, and finely minced 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam pla) 1 large egg 2 tablespoons cornstarch 1/4 teaspoon sugar About 2 tablespoons olive oil 1. At home: Mix turkey well with beans, onions, lemon grass, cilantro, chilies (lesser amount for mildest flavor), fish sauce, egg, cornstarch, and sugar. Divide into 16 equal portions and shape into 16 patties, each 1/2 inch thick. 2. Pour oil into a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add a few patties, without crowding. Cook until brown on each side and no longer pink in center (cut to test), about 7 minutes total. Remove as cooked and drain on paper towels; add more patties to pan. 3. When patties are cool, freeze in a single layer in a metal pan until hard, then seal airtight in plastic freezer bags. Transport in an insulated chest. 4. In camp: Place frozen patties in a 9- to 10-inch nonstick frying pan over low heat, cover, and cook until warm, 3 to 5 minutes; turn at least once.
    ...See More
  • caliloo
    14 years ago

Okay - now I have a meatball craving. This look awesome Annie and even if I cant be there in person to help you cook, you know I am there for you in spirit. Congrats to the happy couple.

Alexa

• arabellamiller
    14 years ago

Holy cow - I feel like I deserve a medal after making 2 lbs. into meatballs! That is work!

AM

• eileenlaunonen
    14 years ago

We love Meatballs...I put at least 40 in our Sunday Gravy every weekend. When I put it up in the morning now that the family expanded i use a 16qt pot! I also agree that Roccos mom meatballs are terrible IMO...Im very picky with Italian food I been spoiled for many years! Annie yours look very moist and yummy nice job!

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Those look really yummy, Annie!

But you know, posting a picture without the recipe? That's not kosher!! LOL

I'm NOT going to make 10 lbs. at a time but I do like making meatballs for parties, they are wonderful appies! I like to bake mine as well since it takes much less standing-up-in-the-kitchen time. I usually just wing it and throw in whatever spices and ingredients sound good at the moment but it sure would be nice to have a T&T recipe!

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Those look really good, Annie!

I have not been able to find a meatball recipe I like, other than Ann's Swedish Meatballs.

I prefer meatballs a little more dense, also. I am working on perfecting a braised meatball in mushroom gravy recipe. Maybe I'll work on that this weekend.

Linda

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

I shouldn't have opened this thread since I've already been craving "Mama's Meatballs." I'm snowed in and can't get to the store to buy the meats. Ship south please.

• lisbet
    14 years ago

Annie.....Those meatballs look great!

I would like to ask what the oven temperature is, and bake for how long?

I have always pan-fried, but think oven baked would be much easier and much better, healthwise!

• susie_que
    14 years ago

Annie, they look spectacular!!
    I only use Rocco's Momma's recipe. Depending on volume I may pan fry or bake.
    For Christmas I did as Annie and baked but alas I only made 4 dozen (grin).

I know we've had countless meatball threads but for me Momma's meatballs are extremely close to how Frank's Nanny made them and so it is the recipe I use exclusively now...its rich and eggy and yields a very light meatball which we rather enjoy.

I guess its a matter of taste.

Anyways all my meatballs are gone so if you are willing to ship to woodie, throw a few dozen a few miles south to me!! LOL!!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lisbet, I bake at 400 for about 20 minutes because I do like them to brown. I do NOT like fried meatballs at all, so baking is the only option for me.

Beverly, I made them with all beef because I won't eat veal and I forgot to take out a chunk of pork to grind, LOL. So, if you have ground beef, you're set. Oh, and I do grind meat in the food processor, it works pretty well, so there's an option.

Peppi, it's OK, you can have all my dense and heavy meatballs, I've sure made enough of them in my life. Come to Michigan, we'll experiment with other meatball recipes! Or maybe I'll come there and Dilly and your Dad can be guinea pigs. Can I bring Cooper? He's a good taster and he likes you.

Eileen, your family expanded past four kids? You'd have to make 40 meatballs! It's a darned good thing I'm not Italian, though, because I don't much like meatballs in any form, no matter how they are sauced. I'll eat these, but it's not my first choice. I also don't like red sauces, not even "sunday gravy", don't care for white pasta and I hate and detest pizza. I especially don't like those "dense and heavy belly bombs fried in grease" kind of meatballs. You know, the ones that are the size of ping pong balls but weigh half a pound each, LOL. I've made a few of those, can you tell? Yeah, I'm picky, I know...

I make them in huge batches because they are such a mess to deal with and such a PIA to make, if I'm gonna mess the kitchen up that much I'm going to make it good. They go pretty quickly because Ashley likes to take out a package when she has friends over and just warm them up and dunk them in catsup or canned spaghetti sauce, and Amanda will alway "borrow" a couple of bags for quick suppers. I will probably end up not eating a single one of them, LOL.

Actually, I made that many because I wanted to see how far 10 lbs of ground meat would go. It made 192 meatballs, with enough "mix" leftover for one good sized meatloaf that Amanda can bake this weekend, so it would probably make another 2 dozen, 216 total. I figure meatballs for 300 would require at least 2 meatballs per person, or 600 meatballs, so that's 30 lbs. of ground meat. Do you think two are enough, given that we'll be making other appetizers too, or should I figure three?

May, here's the recipe. I think it's the parmesan cheese that makes them acceptable. Oh, and I use homemade bread crumbs, this batch got crumbs from the beer/cheese bread that I made a couple of months ago and stuck in the freezer. I think it made them even cheesier. Hey, it's kind of like cleaning the freezer. Sort of...

I followed instructions through step 4, LOL, then all bets are off. Baked instead of fried. There's no way I'm simmering mine in marinara, but I might do a portion of them that way for the wedding.

Chef Rocco Dispirito's Mama's Meatballs

1/3 cup chicken stock
    1/4 cup diced yellow onions
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped fine
    1/2 lb ground beef
    1/2 lb ground pork
    1/2 lb ground veal
    1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    3-6 cups of your favorite marinara sauce

1. Place the chicken stock, onion, garlic, and parsley in a blender or food processor and puree.
    2. In a large bowl, combine the pureed stock mix, meat, bread crumbs, egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, red pepper flakes, and salt.
    3. Combine with hands until mixture is uniform, do not overmix.
    4. Put a little olive oil on your hands and form mixture into balls a little larger than golf balls.
    5. Pour about 1/2 inch of extra virgin olive oil in straight sided, 10-inch-wide saute pan and heat over medium-high flame.
    6. Add the meatballs to the pan, working in batches if necessary, and brown meatballs, turning once.
    7. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
    8. While meatballs are browning, heat the marinara sauce in a large pot.
    9. Transfer the meatballs to the pot with the marinara sauce and simmer for one hour.
    10. Serve alone or over your favorite pasta.

Elery will "sample" some this weekend, he likes pasta and marinara, poor guy, and doesn't cook it because I don't like it. So, he'll be happy and I'll smile and eat a little pasta and explain that I need to lose that 12 pounds because my blood pressure is up, LOL.

Annie

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

They look great, Annie.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Excellent, thank you. I'm definitely going to make these next time.

• skeip
    14 years ago

I love Rocco's meatballs, but I'v never made that many at once, I don't think I'd have the freezer space!! For something different but really delisious, try Rachel Ray's Turkey Meatballs.

Rachel Ray's Turkey Meatballs

1 Box Frozen Spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1 1/3 Pound Box Ground Turkey Breast
    1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
    3 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
    1 Large Egg
    ¼ Cup Milk
    ¾ Cup Bread Crumbs
    ½ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
    Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste

Combine all of the above ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Form into 12 large balls and place on a nonstick baking sheet. Drizzle with Olive Oil and bake in a 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes, until golden. Serve with Cheese Sauce on the Side.

CHEESE SAUCE

2 Tablespoons Butter
    1 Small Onion, finely chopped
    2 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
    1 Cup Chicken Stock
    1 Cup Milk
    1 10-ounce Bag Shredded Italian Style Cheeses
    Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to taste

In a small heavy bottom sauce pan add a drizzle of Olive Oil and melt the Butter. Sauté the Onion until translucent, but not browned. Add the Flour and stir for one minute. Wisk in the Milk and Chicken Stock and bring to a boil, wisk in Cheeses and stir until smooth. Taste to correct seasonings.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

skeip, now THAT sounds like something I might actually eat, thank you!

Annie

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Annie, if the meatballs are going to be appetizers, I would proably make them much smaller, yielding more per pound of meat.

I have made those turkey meatballs and they are quite good!

Linda

• User
    14 years ago

Annie , they do look good. That's my favourite meatball recipe too. I always make a big batch when I make them. Might as well, it's not a whole bunch more work. Mind you I normally only make about 80 or so!

I want to caution you about using this recipe for making appetizers. I find the mixture too "soft" to stand up to various sauces, longer hold times and people "spooning" them out. I end up with broken up pieces of meat in sauce, not great for appetizers which I want firm and "spearable".

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Sharon, for that warning. You may be right, they are relatively fragile for a meatball. You are right, it's not much more work to make a lot than to make a few.

Elery says we should just buy a bunch of meatballs from Gordon Foods, the bride/groom/attendants are all in their 20s and don't know the difference anyway. I told him that I'D know.

So I need those heavy, densely packed gut bombs that I used to make?

Annie

• User
    14 years ago

To be honest Annie...I'm with Elery...buy them at Costco! After a few hours in the sauce (both guests and meatballs) know one will notice. Meatball appetizers are one dish I don't think is worth the effort to make home made for a large group...I'm just saying : )

However if you are determined, best you go for the densely packed gut bombs!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No sauce for the guests, Sharon. (grin) The groom is a music directo at a Methodist church and has a second job as radio announcer at the local Christian College radio station. He's not "allowed" to drink.

Bride came from, I think, Christian Reformed stock. She's a music teacher at that same Christian College that the groom works for. So, I doubt that there'll be "sauce" for any of us.

Annie

• User
    14 years ago

LOL but I'd still buy the meatballs!

PS: but you better think of stashing a bottle of wine for any kitchen help that may show up!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kitchen help can bring their own, I'll have to stash a bottle for ME before this is over. (grin)

Annie

• lowspark
    14 years ago

I'll have to make some of these to test them out in advance and see how soft they are. But I usually don't have them literally swimming in sauce when I serve meatballs as appetizers. I usually just have them sort of coated in sauce, so that you can use a toothpick to serve yourself rather than a spoon. They might be too soft for a toothpick though, huh?

I'll probably use a pound or less of meat as a test run and make some in the next week or so. Thanks for the warning.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

May, mine are firm enough to pick up with a toothpick and dunk into sauce but if I had a big pot of them and tried to stir them several times in the sauce, I think Sharon has a point, I'd probably break them.

Annie

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

Annie - I know you don't need me to suggest sauces, but here's one that a friend always makes, couldn't be easier, and she uses Costco meatballs. After all this time she's embarrassed to still be making them, but everybody asks for them...

Sauerbraten Meatballs

5 cups beef broth
    8 T lemon juice
    1/2 c brown sugar
    1/2 c ginger snap crumbs

Bring broth and juice to a boil, add sugar and snaps, then simmer meatballs. She said she simmers for several hours before transfering to a crock pot and taking to the party.

(Told you it's easy!)

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

Annie, my neighbor bailed me out one time when I had to take something to a meeting and was told at the last minute. She gave me some meatballs that she makes for appetizers. They are delish!

MEATBALLS
    From Dianne

1 and half pounds of ground sirloin or ground round
    bread crumbs or Ritz crackers crushed ( about two-thirds C)
    ginger - 1/4 teaspoon (to taste)
    minced onions
    egg
    green pepper - diced
    1 can drained pineapple (crushed or tidbits)
    1and 1/2 teaspoon salt
    Make into ball shape
    Brown in olive oil
    drain grease

MEATBALL SAUCE (for about 50-60 meatballs)
    1 to 1 and 1/2 Cups water
    1 bottle Heinz Chili Sauce
    1 middle size bottle of Heinz ketchup
    2 Cups (plus a few tablespoons more) of brown sugar
    slow simmer at low setting in Crock pot

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, FOAS, I've never seen anything remotely like that sauce, and I love gingersnaps, so I'm going to have to try it whether the "happy couple" says yea or nay.

Thanks to you too, beachlily, that's a little different than the one I have, mine takes catsup, brown sugar and some balsamic vinegar. So the water is just to make it thinner and "saucier", I suppose, and the chili sauce would make it less sweet...

I've also had the grape jelly and catsup stuff, which the kids love but I don't so much.

Does anyone have a good creamy style sauce?

Annie

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

Here's a really good meatball to make small and eat with tooth picks. It's Beatrice Ojakangas recipe that has become a Christmas Eve tradition the last two years.

Mormor's Meatballs

* 1/2 cup bread crumbs -- dried
    * 1/2 cup milk
    * 1/2 pound ground beef
    * 1/2 pound ground pork
    * salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    * 1 small onion -- chop fine
    * 1 egg -- slightly beaten
    * 6 tablespoons brown sugar
    * 1/2 cup beef broth -- concentrated
    * 2 tablespoons butter -- melted

In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and milk; let stand a few minutes until milk is absorbed. Add the beef, pork, 1 teaspoon salt, allspice, ginger, onion, and egg and mix until blended. Shape mixture into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan and add 2 teaspoons of salt. Drop the meatballs into the water and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, broth, and melted butter; stir and heat until the brown sugar is dissolved to form a glaze. Drain the meatballs and place in a single layer in a 13x9" baking dish. Spoon the glaze over the meatballs and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, turning the meatballs by shaking the pan after each 10 minutes of baking.
    Recipe from "Christmas Memories with Recipes" (Beatrice Ojakangas)

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

Annie, the wine is for religous purposes and there better be more than one bottle or a really big one. Jesus did turn water to wine at the feast of he wedding at Caanan after all. And it is only old grape juice.

And listen to Elery on this one. GFS is not that bad for 300 guests. We would stash yours in the kitchen with the medicine for the help.

• pkguy
    14 years ago

Hi Annie, one of my favorites, simple food. I made some for a pot luck only a few weeks ago for mom to take. I also bake em, found that it's much easier and this last time I put parchment paper on the cookie sheet to help with the greasy cleanup. I haven't tried that recipe, I usually just wing it with oregano, rosemary, salt, garlic etc and some bread crumbs.

What I made for the pot luck a few times for her was sweet and sour meatballs. They must be ok because they seem to disappear off the table pretty fast. Again I sort of wing the recipe but its so simple a child could do it

1 can (14 oz?) of pineapple chunks or tidbits
    1 can of water
    3/4 can of brown sugar
    1/2 can of white vinegar
    Optional: sliced or chopped up green pepper, I always put it in near the end so it doesn't go too soggy and I also save a bit of the pineapple chunks for near the end so they stay a bit crisper

bring it all to a boil and taste add/subtract depending on how sweet/tart you want it.. Throw in the meatballs, if they're frozen takes about 10-15 minutes in the simmering sauce..

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Peter!!! I am so happy to see you here again, how the heck have you been.

Actually that sweet and sour sauce sounds like something Amanda would love, and I'll have several good "sauces" for the bride and groom to try, I knew I'd find help here!

Annie

• pkguy
    14 years ago

Hi,, things have been good for the most part, better than they were for awhile LOL just haven't been so much into the cooking this past year really.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I've missed you and I hope things are all straightened out and you get back to cooking!

Annie

• blueiris24
    14 years ago

skeip - how obvious is the spinach? I always make my meatballs with ground turkey, it would be great to incorporate spinach if my kids weren't wise to it

• eileenlaunonen
    14 years ago

Annie: I did NOT repeat NOT have another child...but my family are all in the same town and my nephew now has 2 babies sooooooo the table is expanding!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the explanation, Eileen, I didn't THINK I'd miss anything as obvious as another child, but you never know.

Actually, I thought maybe you were caring for a parent or something along that line. Congrats to the nephew on the new additions.

Annie

• skeip
    14 years ago

Blueiris24 - the spinach is pretty upfront visually - what's that green stuff? I'm not eating that!! - but once they tried it mine all thought they were pretty good. I think it was the cheese sauce that sold them.

Annie1992 - you are amazing!! I read you on some of the other forums and you always have good insightful advice coming from what seems like a wealth of experience. Keep posting!

• bcskye
    14 years ago

Annie, your meatballs are beautiful. I agree with you, if you're going to mess up the kitchen, make a lot of what you're cooking. I made Lou's meatballs a couple of months ago and it was the first time I ever baked instead of fried. Loved them and its so easy to grab them out of the freezer for a quick dinner. In fact, we had spagetti and meatballs with homemade Italian garlic bread last night. Might give your recipe a try the next time. Variety is the spice of life.

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Congratulations on the new baby, Eileen..I didn't know..LOL

The meatballs look good, Annie ...dh is making them as I type. I used to be the meatballer but he told me mine were not all perfectly round..so I gave the job to him..less work for mother! :)

• lowspark
    14 years ago

My favorite meatball sauce for parties is just a mixture of plain ol' ketchup & beer. It's surprisingly very good.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, Kathleen, are they SUPPOSED to be perfectly round. I never knew.....(grin)

May, thanks, I'll try that for the happy couple but I hate beer and I don't like anything with beer in it. Plus, they are teetotalers, as noted above, so probably not. It might be fun, though, now that you've mentioned it!

Annie

• User
    14 years ago

Hey PK! Glad to hear from you.

I make a sweet and sour sauce very close to what PK makes. I use it for sweet and sour pork but it would be great on meatballs now that I see Pete's recipe.

1/2 cup salad oil
    1 clove garlic
    2 green peppers, quartered
    1 1/2 to 2 lbs pork tenderloin, cubed
    2 eggs
    3 TBSP flour
    1 tsp salt
    pinch pepper
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 can pineapple chunks, drained
    1 TBSP corn starch
    3 tsp soya sauce
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1 TBSP molasses

Parboil peppers for 5 minutes. Saute garlic in oil. In separate bowl, beat flour, eggs and seasonings. Dip the pork in the mixture and brown in the oil. Pour off excess oil add broth, pineapple and peppers. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Blend remaining ingredients. Add to pork. Stir until thick.

For meatballs forget the pork, flour and eggs. Dice rather than quarter the peppers so I would forget the parboil part. Continue from the broth part on. I've talked myself into trying this I think it would be yummy!

Maybe it's too much but I'd go for a Sweet and Sour, a Marinara, a BBQ and a Swedish style, actually a Mexican sauce could be could too.

That's it !! Have a meatball station! LOL

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now there's an idea, Sharon. Just big piles of meatballs and dishes of various sauces. Works for me!

Elery's oldest son had a "dry" reception too, of sorts. They hired a company that brought in all the equipment for various coffee drinks and hired barristas. All the coffee anyone wanted, in any number of variations. Everyone was so wired on coffee that it was as funny as watching the drinkers at other functions. No one peed on the DJ, though, darn it....

Annie

• User
    14 years ago

Not what I was thinking Annie darlin' ;)

I was thinking 3, 4 or 5 different types of meatballs in sauce lined up in some of those divided, heated, serving trays, thingies. So people could sample.

Now I do happen to have one with three hot dishes and another with two.......and I'm just down the 401! LOL

• bunnyman
    14 years ago

Annie you must be related to the Energizer Bunny. I get exhausted just thinking about all the work you do.

Why has Jessy not made some comment about your 10 lbs of beefy balls? Almost need a salty sauce of some kind just to tease her.

When I was young there was a polka that would play on the radio about there being no beer in heaven so we have to drink it here. LOL... now that my memory is tickled the guys at work will have to put up with me whistling polkas today.... they are so lucky I can't sing in german.

: )
    lyra

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

I went to an interesting restaurant last night (Tre Dici, NYC) with a few clients. Had wine and a dish called Inside-out Meatballs.

Obviously I could not tell what's the recipe. All I can say is that those were the best meatballs I have had and they had cheese inside.

I don't mind committing a serious crime to get the recipe from the chef. LOL

dcarch

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Man, those inside out meatballs sound good! According to the website I've linked below, they are "made of beef, pork and veal and stuffed with fresh mozzarella, then fried and topped with homemade marinara."

I bet with a little bit of experimenting you might be able to come up with something similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: tre dici review

• sowngrow (8a)
    14 years ago

blueiris24- I made the turkey meatball recipe skeip posted, tonight, without the spinach and it still tasted great! I would have loved the spinach, but the picky eater in our family would have turned his nose up at it. Thanks for posting that recipe skeip. That's the first turkey meatball recipe I've made in which the meatballs didn't taste dried out and the sauce is very good too!

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

Annie, M wants to know if you will deliver to Ohio?!!! I make them under protest. I don't like them, but will eat them without garlic if I HAVE to!

Tami

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional