SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Frankie Pelligrino's meatballs

lindac
14 years ago

Any of you watch the Today show? Well Frankie Pelligrino owner of the famous Rao's restaurant gave a demo of making his very famous meatballs. Never thought I would be having a yen for Italian meatballs before I had even one cup of coffee...but I did!

Here's the recipe....Frank admonished Meredith and Matt not to over mix, to keep a light hand and not pack the meatballs too tightly.

TODAY recipes

updated 1 hour, 3 minutes ago

If you're looking for a hot and cozy fall recipe, look no further than RaoÂs. Known for their exclusivity and esteemed reputation, New York CityÂs RaoÂs restaurant has been serving up authentic Italian food since 1896. Steal their famous meatball recipe for an easy-to-make and delicious dinner:

RaoÂs meatball recipe

Rao's

Makes 14Â16 meatballs

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 lb beef

1/2 lb veal

1/2 lb pork

3 large gloves garlic, minced

Salt

Pepper

Parsley

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups water

1 1/2 cups grated Pecorino cheese

1 cup plain breadcrumbs

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, place the meat and rub the minced garlic into it. Press the meat down in the bowl, then add, in this order, the salt, pepper, parsley, 2 eggs, and the water. Then sprinkle the cheese over the top as if you are going to cover the water. Finally, sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the cheese.

When you start to mix it all together, mix from the outside of the bowl to the middle and fold it in. After the ingredients are mixed, start to roll the meatball in your hands, about 6 ounces per meatball.

After your meatballs are rolled, take a frying pan (a 10 inch sautee pan is best), add your oil (2 cups) and heat. Place a clove of whole garlic in the frying pan; when the clove of garlic starts to brown, the oil is ready.

Fry the meatballs, cooking and flipping each side until golden brown, about 4 1/2 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove the meatballs after cooking and put on a plate with some paper towels to absorb the oil. [If you want, you can bake the meatballs in an oven on a lightly greased tray at 350 degrees  the taste is totally different than frying.]

Add the meatballs to your tomato sauce and finish cooking them up in the sauce. Serve with the sauce.

I found the large amount of cheese and water to be amazing...but as they were doing it it appeared to be a good texture....and parsley...Frankie put in easily 1/2 cup or more fresh chopped parsley.

When I make meatballs I use the 3 meats when I can get veal, but I don't add water...maybe some tomato juice or milk....and I never add much cheese, nor that much parsley....and I always add oregano....but with all the success of Rao's it's gotta be good!

Have you ever made Rao's meatballs? Or any other Rao's recipe?

Linda C

Comments (22)