SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

Oreo Fridge Cake (Pics)

canarybird01
16 years ago

I was going to post this over on the Recipe Exchange but they seem to have had a major blowout over there. I was following a thread which was looking for a copycat recipe for making those Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers.....the ones that we used to use in the 60s and 70s, slathering them with whipped cream and standing them in a row overnight in the fridge, slicing them on the diagonal so they made a great looking little dessert with little effort.

As we don't get those wafers over here I thought to try using Oreo cookies and using the recipe I posted from the tasting sample we had at a restaurant recently where the cook used quark, whipping cream and ladyfingers, which I posted here on another thread.

Anyway I got the ingredients together and made something similar using Oreo cookies and it turned out really well:

Here's the recipe:

1 3/4 cups whipping cream

1 lb quark (just under 500 grams) or use ricotta or substitute

2 TBS sugar (or more to taste

2 teasp vanilla "

1 teasp grated lemon zest

32 Oreo chocolate cookies (not split)

- loaf pan measuring across the opening: 9" long(23 cm), 5" across(13 cms), 2 1/2" high (6 cm)

- tin foil to line loaf pan

1. Beat cream and add quark, sugar, vanilla and zest, beating until thick but not overly done.

2. Spread a layer of whipped mixture onto bottom of lined pan and add 8 cookies, evenly spaced. Add more whipped mixture.

3. Continue until you have made 4 cookie layers. Top with more whipped mixture. Save a couple of tablespoons of the whip mixture in a closed container for retouching the cake the next day.

4. Cover loosely with a foil hat and refrigerate overnight or longer.

5. Turn out onto long plate or platter, carefully removing the tin foil.

Retouch any bare spots with the saved whipped mixture, using small spatula.

6. Decorate if desired with a sprinkle of cocoa powder shaken through a sieve and a few chocolate shavings (use potato peeler on a bar of chocolate). Pink icing rosebuds would be nice for a special occasion too.

7. Slice downwards and use pie server to carefully separate each piece when serving. Serve very cold.

Before retouching with extra cream.

If you can't get or make quark, I think sour cream or creme fraiche or ricotta would substitute.

This recipe is dead easy! (But DLundin please look the other way LOL!)

SharonCb

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro