SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janjan212

Can you elp me with wool rug/decorating advise please?

janjan212
14 years ago

Long story short- due to some poor customer service by an employee of their store, I was awarded a free in-home visit by the store owner who is also an interior designer. (this is normally a service they charge for) I had originally visited the store to get help with a brand of sofa I was interested in for my family room. After her visit she developed a layout, came up with a good sofa/loveseat combo, fabric & pillow suggestions. She also suggested a wool rug that she thought would look great with the whole thing. I really liked the rug but have never owned one, know nothing about them and hadn't figured it into my budget. She told me if I didnt care for it for any reason, she would be able to return it within 2 weeks, so we decided to go for it, since it was really at no risk to us. I think I will love it since I had already pointed it out to my husband on the showroom floor before she suggested it and it seemed to go perfectly with the other fabrics we ordered. Unless something unforseen happens, I think we will want to keep this rug.

The advise I need is twofold. First, after looking up the rug online to show a friend, I found that by ordering online, I could save about 400 dollars. This is due to an offer of 20% off all rugs on the site and the savings of sales tax. I am hoping to find the courage to ask her if she can price match for me. I feel weird about it since she did the lay-out gratuitiously and she is a local B&M operation, but on the other hand I did not haggle at all on the sofas so I'm sure she is making a very nice profit on those. The rug is an unexpected addition, so the 400 bucks would really come in handy towards other needs in the room (coffee/sofa tables etc-- down the road when I build up my savings account again) Would you ask?

Secondly, I have 2 other areas that could really use rugs. I've decided I want nice wool ones for those spaces too. There is NO WAY I could afford the same rug in these other rooms. BUT- I've noticed some nice rugs for much much less on Craigslist. Granted I have not seen any of them in person, and I don't know anything about wool rugs....yet....but most look very nice in the pictures. One would be for an entryway that you can not see from the family room, the other for the hallway that seperates the rooms. You can see the hallway from the family room. Can I just look for the right size and similar colors and not worry so much about the pattern? I have no idea how it will look if they aren't the same patterns/colors Help! I would LOVE to see pictures of anyone that has different types close by.

Comments (8)