SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
comkow_gw

Professional Painters...Cleaning Utensils, Where?

comkow
15 years ago

We are having our 2-story foyer painted by a crew from a franchise paint company. The team leader came to me yesterday afternoon and asked me where he could wash his roller, brush and small paint container. I told him my husband always washes them outside by the spigot. He started giving me an attitude telling me it was too cold outside and he would get sick. It was 45 degrees here yesterday, not warm, but not too cold. I told him we did not have a utility sink and our kitchen sink is a "special" sink with a special coating on it and we can't put any thing that might leave a cloudy residue behind in it. I told him if he must, he could wash the brush and small pail in the powder room sink, but the roller absorps too much paint to clean inside. Our sinks are your very typical builders grade sinks....small. He then told me if he knew he could not wash his brushes/rollers inside, he would not have taken the job and he won't do any work at our house in the future. I didn't know he gets to choose, I thought he was assigned based on his boss's (franchise owner) assignment, but we had actually requested this guy based on a neighbors recommendation...won't be asking her for any names in the future..lol.

Anyway, today it is going to be 60 degrees. DH stayed this morning to meet the painters and go over a few things. DH mentioned that he hooked a hose up for the brushes since it will be warmer. The painter again started with his attitude about he always washes the brushes inside and my husband told him how he always does it outside, regardless of the weather. Are we not the owners of our house and the ones paying him?

We have had several painters amoungst the three houses we have lived in and never has any painter asked to wash the brushes inside. They either washed then outside or threw them in an empty spackle bucket and brought them home with them to clean.

This is the first time we have encountered a painter that MUST wash his paint utensils in the owners home. We will discuss with the franchise owner AFTER the job is done.

What is typical for the painting profession?

Comments (7)