SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samr_gw

Professional Ranges are not for home kitchens

samr
15 years ago

The so called restaurant or restaurant-like professional ranges are simply not meant for home kitchen. These are like buying Mac trucks to drive to work or go on a family vacation. From our own experience with pro-ranges for several years, we found these are nuisance in the kitchen and they truly belong in a restaurant kitchen for a variety of reasons. If someone really needs one for reasons other than cooking breakfasts and dinners, it will be best to buy a real restaurant range because those ranges are more powerful and fairly cheap.

We had a professional range for several years. We have friends who have professional ranges. Everyone had some serious technical problem(s) with the range. In addition these ranges are incredibly difficult to keep clean. Consume enormous amount of gas and most of the produced heat that goes to heat the kitchen. The lighting mechanisms are defective in most and cost $250-500 to fix; close to impossible to get proper service. The most fundamental problem with these ranges is that no home kitchen needs four or five 15-22 KBTU burners. We had difficulty cooking rice, heating milk, heating or making soup, making tea just to name a few. These burners are so big that they are only good for large (18"or more) fry pans, very large pots but not regular utensils. They are certainly good for restaurants for chefs with assistants but not for home cook who needs to do a number of different cooking, not just stir-fry, in a home setting. Regardless of the manufacturer's claims, they cant simmer unless you use a several gallon pot and not a home saucepan.

Consumer reports gave a very succinct recommendations about home ranges. We found the recommendations are right on the money. In particular, they recommended that a perfect range should have two high powered burners (like 15 or 18 KBTU) and one or two medium (9 to 10 KBTU) and one low (5 KBTU). That is a perfect combination. New ranges with such combination are coming to the market.

We sold our restaurant-style pro range and bought an electrolux stainless steel range for $2199 from Loew's. It is simply outstanding. It is stunning looking range with all five burners from 5-18 KBTU, two ovens with timers and controls. The convection is about twice as fast as our ex-pro-range in baking potato, pizza etc. It fits with our Thermadors extremely well. My gas bill is down almost 50 Therms.

In summary, the restaurant-style (or true restaurant) pro-ranges are gimmicks and inferior. Basically these are cheap restaurant ranges marketed with hype to unsuspecting consumers. That is the summary of our experience with pro-range. I know many company reps in the forum would vehemently oppose this post. Those of you seriously thinking of buying these pro-ranges, regardless of the cost, should seriously consider all aspects before buying.

Pictures of my current range could be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27775932@N08/

Good luck with your purchase!!

Comments (150)

• edlakin
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

where do i find diamond sauce pans please????

OMG! you don't have the diamond saucepans??? how do you even manage a grilled cheese?

oh and i have a pro style sewing machine. it cost thousands and i'm not a professional sewer. if i'm reading right...that means i've lost some family values somewhere along the line...or morals or something

nah...i think it means you're a poser.

• friedajune
    15 years ago

Igloochick - Here is a "Diamond" saucepan for you. :)) They also make Diamond fry pans for the aforementioned grilled cheese.

• Related Discussions

American Range vs Blue Star..Round 1!

Q

Comments (24)
    Those video's on Eurostoves are a good view. They sort of put a bit of "science" behind what I have been preaching all along. Not only does the Bluestar have class leading BTU output, but it is also the efficiency. Some people on here like to give gas burners a "blanket" efficiency rating, which is total nonsense. There are at least three things that contribute to Blustars efficiency. 1) Open Burner 2) Star Design 3) Ported on top, not on the side of the burner. I always like to compare it to a home furnace. Very simple question, with a very simple answer; What would put more heat into your home? A 100,000 BTU furnace with an efficiency rating of 60? Or an 80,000 BTU furnace with an efficiency rating of 95? Same goes for burner design, except in this case your cooking vessel is your "home", and where you want to heat to be directed. My only small gripe about the Eurostove video's is that they tend to drive home the fact that the reason the Bluestar burner is superior is that it is an open burner. But I think the star design and ported on top are equally or more important. I had an open burner Viking, and although the flame did not spread out to the outer edge of the vessel as much as it did on the sealed burner, it still spread out much much more than a Bluestar. On the topic of Eurostoves, I'd really like to thank Trevor Lawson. I have never met you or even talked to you, but all of your free help to the people on this forum that did not even buy a stove from you shows your true colours!! I know you truly believe in the product, and if I lived near Eurostoves (or anywhere in the US for that matter :)) I would definitely buy from you.
    ...See More

Professional Ranges are not for home kitchens - Part II

Q

Comments (4)
    That thread is soooo 4 months ago. Plus everything said in the OP of this Part II was already said in the other thread. Gorilla X, I appreciate your righteousness, but frankly, I think the consensus was we were glad for that thread to end finally.
    ...See More

input on "professional"/"high end" range/cooktop

Q

Comments (54)
    You may also want to consider a Lacanche. The Lacanche quality is excellent and so is their customer service. The range contains fewer electronics so there are less components to break. They come in many different designs and sizes including 36". The ovens can be configured based on the oven size, number of ovens and the type of fuel that is used. For example, I have three ovens, a gas and an electric and an electric warming oven. They also offer convection. You can also design your cooktop to suit your needs, options including adding a griddle, grill, French plate or even a couple of induction burners. The units are solidly built with cast iron grates and are also very easy to clean. They come in a large range of colors. After looking at many different range brands, I decided on the Lacanche for many reasons, including the many positive reviews on this site and the old Gardenweb site. I've owned mine for just over three years and I've been very pleased with my decision. Please let me know if you have any specific questions.
    ...See More

Wolf or Thermador 36” professional range?

Q

Comments (4)
    In my opinion the primary difference between Wolf and Thermador is the under-hood capture area. Wolf has a deep, sufficient space to capture bursts of effluent that may outpace your blower, thus rendering the hood more effective. Thermador has varying angles to the under-hood baffles, so it depends on which model you get, but as a general rule, the Thermador under-hood capture area is not as deep as that of Wolf. I purchased a used floor model of a Wolf hood and got a nice discount. All Wolf distributors should be giving you a discount off list price, so just ask. . . . Just realized you are asking about ranges, not hoods. The same pricing discount system would be in effect for Wolf ranges. You may learn more about that here: [How Wolf Pricing Works[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/wolf-vent-hood-pricing-dsvw-vd~5585453?n=15).
    ...See More
  • igloochic
    15 years ago

if i'm gonna be a poser....and i'm gonna make grilled cheese in a diamond saucepan...akchicago...that darned saucepan better have some bling going on (otherwise how will people know I'm such a poser) :OP

eandhl...oh dear...the faucet thing...you know, that reminded me...I have a professional style faucet!!! ::smacking hand to forehead:: I'm ruined now!!!!! Ruined!! (but we make the best steaks north of ed's house so at least i'm not going down hungry) :oP

bake-sale? when did the business world become pure and unadulterated evil? seriously, i know i'm making fun of your silly statements above, because they're silly...but really, why do you think that the profesional world is a straight trip down to ruination?

one of the great things about today's world is our ability to bring some of the conveniences of the business world into our homes. ten years ago if i wanted a latte...a really good, hand pressed bean latte, i had to pay five bucks for it at starbucks. no one had easy access to machines that did all of that work. now, i walk into the kitchen and literally push one button to receive a latte made exactly to my specifications.

making a steak with a perfect finish was impossible without the ability to get a surface up to a very high temperature...we like steak, we like it cooked by ed...umm well and we love being able to do that at home!

i make silk drapes and silk quilts for the pure love of textiles. working with a professional machine allows me perfect control so that my fabrics are not ruined by tension issues (and it sews sideways) how is that a bad thing???

oh and berry berry...i won amateur chef of the year in ummm well back many years ago, and ummm I ummm hate to admit it...but I still can't manage rice LOL (Some mental block) :OP So don't hold that against the OP...(but the fact that he can't boil water or heat up milk...well that does make him an idiot) heh heh

• ya_think
    15 years ago

holy sh;+ antss, we are over 100 is the limit 150?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Yes 150 :Op keep yapping LOL

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I-chic, you're a quilter too? I should have figured it when you joined in the pendants-off-center-by-two-inches post! :)

• berryberry
    15 years ago

Igloochic - I like the understated approach you take in your posts :)

• Cloud Swift
    15 years ago

Performance isn't only about BTUs. Before we bought our Bluestar rangetop, I tested burners on several that we were considering. If any of you are concerned about whether the machine will be a good fit for your needs, I recommend that you try this yourself. We don't all cook the same things. I arranged for the test drives, packed my pans, utensils and groceries and gave the burners a try on foods that were important to me.

To track down a demo Bluestar, I called the distributer for my area and they were able to tell me a couple of stores that had ones available for demo. East Bay Restaurant supply was very accommodating.

I tested the Dacor and Miele cooktops as well as the Bluestar (an odd combination you may think - originally we were hoping to do a drop in cooktop to have the space to do a shallow drawer plus two pot and pan drawers below - but after we finished testing we concluded that the burner performance was more important to us than the extra drawer). With the sealed burners on the Dacor and Miele, the flames come out of holes on the sides of the burner ring. As a result, when you turn up the burner the flame spreads much wider. Also, regardless of how high you turn the burner, there is no heat applied directly near the center of the pan. With this burner configuration, even the 18k BTUs of the Dacor were not equal to the stir fry I did on it. I put the chicken in half at a time and still didn't get the sear I wanted.

That was the experience that caused us to track down the Bluestar. Led astray :^) by the appliances forum, I saw pictures of the Bluestar burners - a burner that has a circle plus star configuration with the holes on the top instead of the sides. With the grate removed so the wok is cradled in the burner bowl, it has flame delivered to the whole wok bottom - when the burner is turned up, the flame goes higher instead of just wider. It was very hot weather when we went to try out the Bluestar and we had another stop to make on the way so my DH got a bit over-zealous packing the chicken into the ice chest. He had so much ice in there that the chicken was partially frozen when I took it out. If it was going to be given ~7" of depth instead of the ~3" that cooktops want this beast had better really perform so I dumped the whole recipe of chicken in at once. Even with it nearly frozen it was sizzling right away.

We have had the Bluestar installed for over a year now. The performance difference is related to the burner shape as much as due to the high BTU. When we do more than one stir fry at a time, the 15K burner works just fine too - maybe not capable of quite as large a batch, but it does loads better than the 18k Dacor or 15k Miele burners that I tried.

ya_think, I could make a good stir fry even on my very old pitiful flat top (not that all flat tops are terrible but this early model was awful). You don't need great burners to produce a good dish. But I couldn't get the flavor elements that I do when I stir fry on the Bluestar - the sear just wasn't there even if I kept the amount I put in at a time small - taking out one vegetable to put in the next. With the right burners, it tastes significantly better - great rather than good. I wasn't drawn to this because I wanted a restaurant set up in my house. These burners are the closest thing I see to the heat to wok arrangement I saw when traveling in China.

I live in a hot weather area and find that the efficient delivery of heat to the pan of our Bluestar means that the high BTU burners heat my house less. I can do a stir fry with the burner only being on for a few minutes - much shorter cook time even at high BTUs means my house doesn't get as much heat dumped into it. And of course the sooner I'm done cooking, the sooner I can play with my granddaughter.

As far as reliability, we did get an igniter that had to be replaced on the Bluestar - no biggie, Prizer-Painter sent us the part and we did the swap. On the other hand, my regular KA microwave had to have its front panel replaced - segments on the display had failed. And we just had a guy out to replace the controller and panel boards in our Miele ovens because they had developed an odd intermittent problem (good thing we had an extended warranty on that one).

I'm not a professional chef, but I have some experience with true-restaurant Wolf burners from some volunteer work I've done. Those things are huge and much less user friendly - just the heat from the pilot lights is a lot.

I like having the rangetop and ovens separate - that allows things like me making a curry at the rangetop while my son cooks the nan in the oven (slap a few in at a time, they take a few minutes to puff and then come out for the next ones to go in so a lot of oven door opening and closing). But for those who want a range and don't want all that stainless steel, Bluestar now comes in color for the front without an upcharge. If the Bluestar wall ovens were out when we were doing our kitchen, maybe we would have used them, though I do like the self-cleaning. I love my Bluestar but I'm a little ambivalent about the Miele. I like the even heat and stable temperature control but there are features of the controller that I find annoying, like the timer working in minutes and seconds instead of hours and minutes.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

heh heh yup...i quilt (ok actually I piece and pay someone else to quilt) :OP

and i'm shy and retiring and stuff too :oP but i can boil water :oP I'm jut too lazy to do so :) berry...really i do refrain on occasion. i often want to post things like "are you always this stupid or are you just making a special effort today?" but i almost always hold back...sort of :oP unless i'm inspired with a particularly interesting idiot...then i just can't stop myself :oP

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

The real reason I love these fora is the humor! My kids complain that I am too sarcastic -- I say nonsense, they get 100% of the recommended daily allowance of sarcasm!

Back to the subject at hand, what I'm wondering about is the BTU-as-yardstick. For years the BBQ fanatics would be raving about BBQs with ever-more-BTUs (insert joke about macho men here). They finally realized that there is a point of diminishing returns. Are we there yet or not indoors? I'm finding edlakin's (among others) comments on stirfries to be fascinating, although I do end up feeling like an ignoramus -- you mean I was doing it wrong all those years?

And I-chic, not only do I quilt but I hand-quilt...two weeks to piece, two years to quilt...not that I'm OCD or a control freak or anything....

• Cloud Swift
    15 years ago

By the way, my theory is that samr is really a shill for Bluestar. He posts his negative rant and then all the Bluestar owners pile in to say how wonderful the Bluestar is. If it hadn't been for his posts around 2 years ago, I don't think I would have known about Bluestar. The Bluestar No. x posts just looked like some cult so I didn't pay attention to them, but the flames he created drew my attention to the flames I have in my kitchen now.

• cooksnsews
    15 years ago

Well, you can add me to the list of quilters! Do you think my desire for a pro-style range can be in any way related to my fascination with industrial sewing machines? Power and response. What can I say....

FWIW, my friends think I'm nuts for spending this much $$$$ on a 36" AG, but it is still less than a current TOL household sewing machine, which many are surprised that I don't have.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

blue...some day we must ditch our children and meet :) Just think...a banker, a lawyer, a bottle of wine and a couple of sewing machines...there's a joke there somewhere LOL

I must admit I fell in love with crazy quilting specifically because there is no actual quilting LOL It also allows me to indulge a terrible obsession with textiles since i can purchase a yard or two and play with it in several different quilts (ok i've purchased more than a yard or two LOL)

cooksnews....I hadn't thought of the cost of my machine against the cost of my range. What a funny thought. I have a Lacanche at home, but at the rental we have an Aga...and oh dear...I think that darned machine is pretty darned close to what I paid for that lovely Aga :)

Now sewers...sit down...you want to hear the really sad part of this story. I purchased that beautiful machine because it does hundreds of embroidery stitches and designs, is computer compatible, blah blah blah oh and it sews sideway (this fascinates me) and two years later...I haven't sewn with it yet :o( I purchased it when DS was very young and I had a lovely dream of returning to my beloved career, and playing at my quilting again (believe it or not, I was often paid to quilt at work LOL) Since he's been ill...I just haven't had the time!

I hope our range is used more than my darling sewing machine! And the good news is, I finally am able to sew again since DS is doing better..so the beauty will finally be used again.

• amirm
    15 years ago

Epensive sewing machines, eh? My wife just put in the order for her longarm machine. I think its cost is more than most of our kitchen appliances and we can't even cook eggs on the darn thing! Heck, the thing costs more than the first two new cars we ever bought, combined! :D

Sadly, the best is always expensive....

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I also have a high end embroidery/sewing machine and a fantastic serger...Covered with construction dust and no time or room to use them yet!

Interesting that this thread has moved toward high quality sewing machines, since I see a relationship here. We have a limited budget, but because DH is a shop/construction teacher and woodworker, he knows that accurate, adequately powerful, quality tools can make a big difference in the end result, and, particularly, in the experience. Thankfully, he believes this not only for himself and his projects, but also for me with my sewing and cooking, which is why he supported and encouraged the purchase of a great rangetop and versatile sewing equipment. He respects and appreciates what I do and doesn't want an inferior tool to discourage me developing my skills to the fullest, or diminish the joy in serving my family in these ways.

OT for Igloo: I also love to piece tops, but am not so much at the quilting part! I did a few months of enforced bedrest with pregnancy number 3. The only time in my life I embroidered, and our older 2 kids (then 2 and 3) and I did a lot of reading together. My dh took pity on me and kept me supplied with my favorite peanut M&Ms and lemonade...Not a good plan, since I got off bedrest just in time to be diagnosed with my only case of gestational diabetes! :-\ Best wishes!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

A lot of quilters are married to either engineers or high end contractors, ie people who value precision, so that does not surprise me in the least, rhome. Bill V's wife quilts! I joke about my two favorite quilting measurements are the tad and the smidgen, but truthfully we KNOW what happens if a block is 1/16" bigger than the block next to it...16 seams in a row, you've got a serious problem!

Now that you mention it, I am seeing how people in this forum discuss their machines much as the good quilters discuss theirs. I'm going to abandon my faithful Kenmore/Jenome for a Bernina very soon so that I can learn to machine quilt, but nothing too fancy, as hand quilting is my first (masochistic) love. For some strange reason, between the dust everywhere in the house and kitchen crap spread out all over my quilting areas and the 100 degree heat wave, I'm just not enthusiastic about quilting right now :)

I-chic, I will look you up if I ever go to Alaska...with quality Cal wines in hand so I'll be assured of a welcome!

Ya know, I like this thread better than when it first started!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

lol rhome that last line did make me laugh out loud in earnest :) sadly things aren't going to go well there for us. the only good part of this is that i've enjoyed my 2 year old actually snuggling with me on occasion (he's a BUSY BOY). lifes little treasure are to be cherished when we can i guess :)

• samr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

New Pictures of my Elctrolux are here:

http://flickr.com/photos/27775932@N08/

It is doing a great job.

• friedajune
    15 years ago

Wow Samr, your backsplash is really great! I love the way it goes right across the soffit to the ceiling. But I respectfully have to agree with the posters who would expect the placement of that range's control panel to be problematic. What happens if you have tall pots on the burners - how do you access the panel? Or, might you have to reach across, say, a frying sizzling hamburger or something like that? And it does seem awfully close to the flame, but maybe that's just the photo that makes it look like that.

This is such an interesting thread!

• edlakin
    15 years ago

It is doing a great job.

cool. glad you're happy with it!

• samr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ak,
    Thanks!

The big 18K (not so big for many!!)that we use for big pots is in the front and the panel has a stainless steel lip in the bottom that does not allow even hot air to go upto the panel. It does not get hot. The touch points are at the top of the panel and very visible. We liked it better than on the side like in Dacor where you have to bend down to figure out the display. Here the display is very bold blue and clear; decision making is very quick and unambiguous.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

Glad you enjoy your range Samr - but I am curious - did it come with an instruction book on how to cook rice, heat milk, heat or make soup and make tea ? Or do you still struggle with these tasks? I ask since you said you had difficulty doing this on a professional style range (one of IMO your faulty basis for this thread), which quite frankly is mind boggling.

So what does the Elextrolux do to allow you to make better tea? Does it have a voice inside that screams at you - turn the heat up, turn the heat down, add the teabag, etc, etc. Does it have an idiot proof control panel (ie push this button and tell it what you want to make, and it will guide you from there), or does it come with a basic cookbook and intro to Cooking 101 classes?

• edlakin
    15 years ago

nah, the tea's probably just that much more satisfying because of the extra four grand in his pocket!

it is kind of funny, though, that you said that stuff, samr;

We had difficulty cooking rice, heating milk, heating or making soup, making tea just to name a few. These burners are so big that they are only good for large (18"or more) fry pans, very large pots but not regular utensils.

fess up, dude. now that this thread's gone on a while...you were just exaggerating for effect, right? i mean, you didn't really "have difficulty" making tea on your viking, did you? really?

and, jooc, how big are the burners on your electrolux? can you measure them for us and report back? just so we can compare the difference between your current range and what some of us reading have?

i mean, i don't even own an 18" fry pan. in fact, i don't know if i've ever even seen an 18" fry pan.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

blue...how did you know i'm married to an engineer LOL and he's a contractor as well (oil and gas, but still a contractor). i guess that meant i had to take up quilts LOL

berry berry...you're obnoxious :op heh heh and ya crack me up

ed...i'm ordering my 18" diamond fry pan as we speak :oP i want to be the first poser with one on the block!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Igloochic, Once again you have turned an intense set of forum postings into a hilarious read! Just love you for it. I think the GW is such a wonderful place and having you in it just makes it that much better.

• Cloud Swift
    15 years ago

18" is pretty huge. The place where I volunteer has some stock pots about that big for using on the real restaurant stoves. It's what you need if you're going to do things like boil pasta for pasta salad for two to three hundred people.

I have a Calaphon 5 quart saute pan at home and the 7 quart sauteuse pan. I think those are each around 12". They are a handful even when empty and quite heavy when full. Actually I don't use them much on the Bluestar. I got them when I had my old flattop because it only developed good enough heat to approximate stir fry with pans that had totally flat heavy bottoms and I needed something that big to do a stir fry for the whole family.

With the Bluestar, I like to use a pow wok for those tasks.
    I have 14 and 16" woks, but usually I'm only cooking in around 12" of them - the rest of the sloped side just contains splatters and keeps the food in place as it is tossed around during stir frying. I do love the way a big wok keeps things from flying out.

For smaller jobs, I find my 1 to 3 quart sauce pans work just fine on the Bluestar as does my 8" frying pan. The flame area on the burners is about 6" wide so that's no problem.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

well thank you plucky :) Honestly, I was thinking of not responding to the post, and instead starting a new thread that was more reasonable....here's a few ideas:

Toasters are not for home kitchens!

or Steam Irons, evil in the laundry room....

or maybe Tires! Only posers have them on their cars...

Now back to your regular programing...Cloud, I used to make eggs at a restaurant in a huge pan (I think it was 18 or 20") the thing was a monster! You know...that might be the OP's problem...they are trying to make one serving of rice in an 18" pot...and they took the stove back when all they needed to do was find a smaller pot...so sad!!!

• JohnnieB
    15 years ago

Can't comment on most of this but I agree 100% with Samr on one thing:

"The high BTU burners in professional range only tell you how much gas is being burnt not how much cooking it is doing. What I mean is very little of that heat is being transferred to the cooking pot and its contents. Most high BTU (>15K) burners are large, 5-10" dia., and when a pot is put on these, flame and heat is spread over 18". As a result, most of the heat is going around the pot of regular size, as well as burning the sides of the pot."

I've cooked with both electric and gas over the years and this is something I've noticed about gas many times. After having cooked with gas for 7 years I'm currently cooking with electric, while living in an apartment during a major home renovation project. I'm amazed that this cheap electric range can boil a large pot of water faster than any gas range I've ever used, and the handles of my pots don't get hot. Very little of the heat goes up around the pot; most of it stays under the pot where it belongs. But with a gas range, much of the heat goes up and around the pot--which makes perfect sense, as it is being forced out from under the pot by the gas coming out of the burner and by the combustion products. So unless you are using enormously oversized pots and pans, cranking up the heat under them just means more gas and heat being wasted.

Yet I'm replacing a gas range with another gas range--because I've gotten used to gas, I like cooking with gas (despite the heat waste) and I'll even admit to a certain snob appeal! But I will NEVER tell anybody that gas is better than electric--they are different, and you certainly need to adjust your cooking techniques, but a good chef will be able to cook perfectly well on either one (with a bit of practice).

• Retroactive
    15 years ago

What a thread! I've just spent about half an hour reading the whole thing.

A couple of comments, I think the quality control problem is not just restricted to high end ranges, it seems to be everywhere, and when we're spending a lot of money for appliances, we'd hope they'd at least not break down very much. I had an old '50s Wedgewood gas range that worked like a champ, and if it ever had a problem, a handyman (or clever hubby) could fix it. Now you need computer experts, electronics geniuses, etc. for so many things. So it is an issue, and it helps to do homework and listen to customer feedback while considering it with a large grain of salt.

I have a '20s home with a small corridor kitchen. I've been suffering with an electric smoothtop range for 10 years I've owned it, nat'l gas (other than propane) is not available here and I'm not currently piped for propane. For years I've been drooling and craving over the pro gas ranges and cooktops because I love to cook and have been so frustrated with how unresponsive the elec. smoothtop has been. Plus they just look so damn cool. Well, now I'm in the middle of remodeling the kitchen and after carefully considering all factors (price, cost of permits and piping for propane, size of kitchen, the fact that it gets hot in there if you even run the toaster, lol...) and doing a bunch of reading, I decided to get an induction cooktop. It was installed last week and I have to say, I really love it more than I thought I would.

I live in a climate where I can cook outside year round, and built an outdoor kitchen with a nice grill. To this, I've added a really cool gas burner (none of those wimpy side burners that come with the grills) that I found at an Asian grocery and kitchen supply in Miami. It's designed to hold a wok or be used without the wok part of the burner to accommodate regular pans. It's very high BTU. So if I need to get my gas fix, I can use this outdoor propane burner and it also works great.

I guess my advice here is that if you can afford a good pro range and have enough kitchen for it, go for it! Just do your homework to pick a reliable brand and get an extended warranty just in case.

If you are limited by budget or size but still are a cooking freak who wants the heat and the control of gas, look into induction. The induction cooktop wasn't cheap but it does everything I wanted the gas cooktop to do. It also offers another side benefit for me, it affords me a little more countertop space when I need it in a tiny kitchen, and three roomy drawers beneath it for all kinds of stuff. (Oh, I also got an Advantium built-in wall oven for the other component. I don't need a large oven and this one oven will provide me with a good combo of resources.) Certainly none of this is as impressive or status-y, but I didn't really care about that, I just want to make good food yet be practical given my personal circumstances.

• samr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Folks,

First, thans for all the comments. I hope this thread is helpful to people who are in the market for appliances.

I thought I add few more pictures of my kitchen. The design is all mine. Most of the material, except stones, came from local Home Depot and Loews. I hired a very gifted customs cabinetmarker for assembly of the cabinets, a tile man for glass tiles, plumber, and an electrician.

Appliances are mostly from a local appliance store. Includes Thermador (fridge and hood), Wolf (convection micro), Dacor (Warming Drawer), Bosch (DW), and Electrolux.
    I am quite happy with all of them and recommend.

-> http://flickr.com/photos/27775932@N08/
    Thanks

• berryberry
    15 years ago

ed - old Samr seems to be ignoring us. Perhaps his problem with "We had difficulty cooking rice, heating milk, heating or making soup, making tea just to name a few. These burners are so big that they are only good for large (18"or more) fry pans, very large pots but not regular utensils. " may be related to this forum and missing our posts. Perhaps samr has a problem with his eyesight. Maybe he and Mrs. Samr got their eyeglasses mixed up by mistake - so those burners on his old Bluestar - you know the ones that are 7" wide - somehow seem to be 18" wide to his eyes. And maybe his eyesight was so bad he was putting the tea kettle on a burner he hadn't lit? No wonder he had problems cooking.

Or perhaps Lowe's (where someone noted he works) business is so bad (now that I think about it they have been sending me tons of coupons lately and running lots of promos to stimulate sales) he just wants to drive some business their way

I don't know - but since he doesn't seem to want to fess up any details to support his claim, we can only assume.

Oh, and FWIW - maybe he does feel the tea tastes better with a few more $ in his wallet (although the difference could have been just a couple thousand if he shopped wisely). Personally, I would have no problem if his whole premise was - you can be satisfied with a $2200 range. People make trade offs for economic reasons all the time. But to make the claims he did in his original post just makes him come across as silly

• igloochic
    15 years ago

the most valuable lesson i've learned in this thread..is that ed probably makes one heck of a steak :oP and i think you're right berry...samr is blind, and desparate for sales heh heh he makes me want to run out and buy a washing machine or some flooring or something :oP

and honestly...bake sale queen...i really did want to know why you think that all morals and values would be ruined by having professional style appliances in the home? that's confusing me to no end :oP now i'm gonna go make a latte and try to figure it out...samr...follow me, while i'm at it, we'll have a "boil water" 101 lesson...in my diamond saucepan...

• mary_in_nc
    15 years ago

Regarding the OP, I think it's kind of funny he knocks the high end ranges then blows money on a Wolf convection MW. Talk about a waste! He already has convection cooking in his Electrolux!

• bruce_allen123
    15 years ago

Retroactive,

I don't know, but temperature control on my smoothtop was never an issue. It takes a minute or so to cool down, but when I need to crank her up, the response is quite amazing, at least to me... My smoothtop is the BEST range I've ever owned/used, and I've been cooking for years. To each his own I guess. Gas to me is dirty and simply not worth the bother. I still think induction is a little pricey, but I figure by the time I'll need a new range, they will have come down in price enough to make them a good deal.

• asolo
    15 years ago

I'm with bruce allen123 on this one. If I was running a restaurant, of course I'd have gas. For my own home, however, I much prefer this smooth-top. Lot's better, faster, more controllable and convenient than the gas range it replaced. Very pleased.

I can cook well with anything but livability-wise, this one's a winner. Smooth all over. No knobs, nooks, crannies to collect gunk. Easy, intuitive touch-pad controls that anyone can figure out and use effectively. Excellent, consistent oven.

• thull
    15 years ago

Goodness- saw the title and thought someone had managed to resurrect something long dead. Guess someone got tired of cooking and felt he needed to come back and stir the pot here.

• Retroactive
    15 years ago

"I don't know, but temperature control on my smoothtop was never an issue. It takes a minute or so to cool down, but when I need to crank her up, the response is quite amazing, at least to me..."

Many times I need the cooldown immediately, and induction gives me the control of gas. A smoothtop basically gave me the same control as the old fashioned ring electric ranges. The big advantage of smoothtop electric is that I found they cleaned easier and looked better, but really they don't have the control that gas or induction has, but that's only important to those who want it. Sure, for fast cooldown on a smoothtop you can pick the pot up and move it to a cool part of the top, which is what I did for ten years. But it's just not the same. And my induction top boils water in 90 seconds. It's really amazing. Smoothtops are fine, I just found that for what I do I want more control. If you're satisfied with yours that's all that really matters.

• asolo
    15 years ago

"....boils water in 90 seconds."

Um....how much water would that be? Starting at what temp?

Something tells me you're not talking about 6 qts at 72F.

• ya_think
    15 years ago

The same amount and initial temp that Kelly Ripa boils on her Electrolux of course.

• Retroactive
    15 years ago

"Something tells me you're not talking about 6 qts at 72F."

Four quarts at tap temp. in a Meyer commercialware saucepan, actually. My contractor and I timed it with his watch. And I really wonder why people feel a need to be so snotty here? I have no idea what Kelly Ripa has to do with anything. My cooktop isn't an Electrolux. Are you suggesting I'm making this up?

• asolo
    15 years ago

Pretty impressive! So much so, that I think I'd have to witness it personally to accept it.

Before this report of yours, the fastest I've seen reported was from non-scientific poll taken by site below. The test was for mere 90F rise in temp for four quarts. The fastest reported was 4' 35" for one induction stove. Your report indicates many times faster than that. This was source of my skepticism.

Sorry link is not direct-to-page. Couldn't get it to cut/paste. You'll have to poke around a bit. At top of page click on "pro/trade". Next page on the left, click on "cooktop testing".

• Joe Blowe
    15 years ago

Do I think 'retroactive' is making this up? Nah... I just think his definition of "boiling" is different than ours! ;-)

• ya_think
    15 years ago

retroactive - Kelly Ripa is in Electrolux commercials making the the very vague claim that it boils water in 90 seconds. That was my reference and it was not meant to be snotty or disbelieving.

(But it is interesting that you got to boil about 4 times faster than the fastest induction on the Appliance Advisor's test raised temp just 90 degrees. It begs the question: Did your contractor wind his watch that day?)

• asolo
    15 years ago

I'd be curious to know brand of range, pot-type, water-temp, altitude, burner wattage, etc. I can't accept this claim as-stated. I don't think ANY commercial range of any fuel type has the capability of raising a gallon of water's temp 140F (approx.....if starting from 72F tap-temp) in 90 seconds.

• samr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Electrolux EW30GF65GS is doing a great job. Thought many of you wanted to know.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

um, yeah, you said that already.

just a few days ago:

http://flickr.com/photos/27775932@N08/

It is doing a great job.>

y'know, the way you post the whole model number when you talk about your range, it almost seems like you're spamming or something.

are you going to answer any of the questions that were asked of you upthread? about your "experiments"?

• ya_think
    15 years ago

Yeah samr why not answer some questions. This thread is almost full and I hope no one will start a "Professional Ranges not..., con't" thread. This is your moment to shine.

Will you finally going to come clean about your supposed Bluestar issues? Can you elaborate on your "tests"? Does the University have some testing equipment not available to the masses?

• edlakin
    15 years ago

like rulers to measure the 18" frying pans you need?

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I'm trying to be the 150th poster just because I'm annoyed with this thread -- one too many electrolux promotions out there.

• rethree
    15 years ago

Yeah... a little late to the game here for the original posters, but it's just a fundamental difference in opinion between the actual "cooks" out here who have the desire and or skills to make use of features in high performance pro-style ranges, and the other camp who more-or-less just use ranges to "reheat" foods and boil water for pasta, frozen veggies, etc. Apples and oranges. Any poster who uses an electric cooktop or (gasp) flat surface range and is content with it does not in any way intend to use a range/oven to produce professional-type cooking products. Baking perhaps... but not cooking. Find a thread posted by amateur chefs and/or professional chefs who cook at home if you want informative opinions on pro-style ranges ... IF you intend to use them as they are intended to be used.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!