SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Where/how to store my KA mixer in this kitchen?

breezygirl
13 years ago

My cab maker started making my cabs this week! I've been so focused on bathroom, plumbing and rat issues that I forgot this exciting fact!

Anyway, I need to figure out where and how to store my KA mixer. My baking area is on the peninsula in this space:

Here's the view from close to my front door. It'll look like this, except with a white island instead of dark wood. Peninsula/baking area is on the left:

The only way I can think to store my commercial KA mixer (very heavy) is to put it in one of those mixer lifter gadgety things. I can't imagine I'd use the mixer on the stand. I'd probably lift it up to counter height and then transfer it to the counter. That kinda sounds like a PITA, but I don't want the ugly white thing left on the counter all the time as you'll see it as soon as you walk in the front door.

Ideas?

Comments (36)

• melissastar
    13 years ago

I'm putting mine on one of those mixer lifter things. I haven't yet had the chance to use it there (because the dratted cabinet maker and contractor made the base for the gadget too short and too high up, so the mixer hits the edge of the counter when it rises). BUT, I have been able to see how it will work and I WILL use it on the stand. That's in fact the point of these things and I think I'm going to love it. They rise to counterheight and allow you to use it right there. Mine is in my peninsula which is where my baking stuff is too. BUt you'd have to substitute out a drawer base. It needs at leats an 18" base with a door..

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

The only two options I can think of is an appliance lift, as you said. They hold at least 66 pounds.

Or, how about an appliance garage instead of the large blank side of the cabinet?

• Related Discussions

Do you have a KA 6 qt mixer? Xpost

Q

Comments (1)
    I have the 610 from WS. It is loud. The pitch is a bit lower than the previous Artisan I had, but I make pizza dough every week on setting 2 for approx 10 minutes and it is loud enough to be annoying. Whipping egg whites on speed 10 is not louder, just different pitch, but still annoying. Works great though and much more robust than the Artisan model.
    ...See More

KA mixer better way to make my bread?

Q

Comments (12)
    This is the method I have used for many years when making bread dough in my Kitchenaid stand mixer. The source is Betsy Oppenneer's The Bread Book. Mixing and Kneading Bread in a Heavy Duty Electric Mixer 1.Put dry yeast and proofing water into mixer bowl; whisk, proof yeast. 2.Fit mixer paddle on. 3.Add rest of liquid ingredients (milk, eggs, butter) to the yeast/water. 4.Add half of the flour amount of the recipe and any other dry ingredients. 5.Turn mixer on medium speed (#4 on KA) and beat 2 minutes. 6.Reduce speed to low (#1) and add rest of flour ü cup at a time. 7.Remove paddle, scrape well. Attach dough hook. 8.Scrape down sides of bowl, turn speed to #2 and add more flour 1 TB at a time (dough will cling to hook then spread back to sides of bowl). 9.Increase speed to #4 and knead 5 minutes. At the end of this kneading time the dough should cling to the hook and clean the sides of the bowl. If not, add flour 1 TB at a time, until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl. 10.Remove the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with a towel, let rise per therecipe ��" or ��" turn out dough, knead by hand a few times, form into a ball, drizzle a little oil in the mixing bowl, put dough in, swirl in bowl and turn oiled side up, cover, let rise.
    ...See More

Where to store Kitchen Aid mixer

Q

Comments (10)
    You would have to make sure you have enough headroom clearance on the stairs but my house has a bathroom with recessed cabinets over a stair landing so it's not unheard of. If you are going to have counter in front of the wall you are talking about it is going to be hard to pull the mixer out of storage because you will be reaching, not pulling straight on. If you don't use a stand mixer much have you given thought to using only a hand mixer? DH bought me the KA 9 speed Architect series mixer and it's very nice. I use my stand mixer at least once a week so mine is on the counter, space or no space. But if you only use yours infrequently maybe it's time to move on.
    ...See More

my 'thrift store' KA stand mixer!!

Q

Comments (17)
    Don't usually brag... but I will about some of my thrift store finds. A Cuisinart food processor, bought in hopes of just having an extra bowl, ended up being larger/stronger model... $8! LeCreueset square grill pan, blue enamel outside (NOT chips or cracks), non-enameled cast iron inside (tiniest bit of easily removable schmutz in ridges... $5! Cuisinart burr coffee grinder & ice cream maker (wish I always had ROOM in freezer for insert)... at website about $50 or more... at thrift store maybe $5 each. BRAND NEW KA digital (7 speed) hand mixer... $69.99 on box... $5 for me. Spend a HUGE amount (for me at least) on a BIG lot of Fiestaware at a yard sale. A dozen dinner plates, salad/sandwich plates, mugs, probably 20 bowls (soup/cereal) and a few extra items... $50. If an item looks CLEAN, barely/rarely used... in box with manuals... and CHEAP... I'm interested. Bought a bread machine at a yard sale... cuz never had on, was curious, and it was still TAPED in plastic in box. Used it for a while, got bored with it, cleaned it up REALLY well, and donated to one of favorite thrift stores. Like they say, one WOMAN'S trash is another WOMAN'S treasure!
    ...See More
  • celineike
    13 years ago

Hi Breezy - here's what im doing ... i have one set of cabs that sit on the counter (like yours on the right) and in the bottom will be my mixer and other heavy appliances that can be sort slid forward to use..like in this pic...
    I really love those lifty thingys - what are they called? i wonder if i can still do one... anyway, if i can't i'll do this...

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

You have enough counterspace to sacrifice some. Put a garage under the uppers right of the sink. You could build in the microwave on countertop here also--a niche next to garage?

• natschultz
    13 years ago

I'd definitely put in an appliance garage for it (facing peninsula, back against fridge).

I don't have a mixer lift, but I've read MANY times that they do not work - that they wobble like crazy and you cannot actually use the mixer on the lift. Can't remember where I've read this, but I'd bet it's on here - do a search for Mixer Lift or Appliance Lift.

I don't know your whole layout, but if you can do it I'd have that peninsula extended an extra 12" in length and put in an 18" deep appliance garage on the counter. Then you'll only lose 6" of baking prep space on the counter. Either put a glass cabinet above the garage or exposed shelves. Extend the base cheaply by keeping your two base cabs as-is, but put a 12" deep bookcase facing out on the end; that'll look good from the front door too. You can keep it square or do half-round base shelves / counter, but that will probably increase the marble fabrication cost.

Honestly I think this will look much better from the front door as well - that blank fridge end panel is VERY stark with no shelves or anything on it. Maybe it's just me, but I hate seeing the sides of cabinets, end panels or not. I much prefer putting decorative shelves there.

• natschultz
    13 years ago

Oops! I'm an idiot - you posted your whole floorplan!

OK, it appears that you have about 4-1/2 ft. between the end of your peninsula and your fireplace now. That means you'd have to keep it straight (half-round shelves on a 4 ft wide pen = 2 ft protrusion) in order to have 3-1/2 ft. walking space. That's enough clearance. Even with the 18" appliance garage that will give you 4'x4' baking space on a 5-1/2 ft long peninsula.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Are you willing to give up some of the deep drawer space on the peninsula? I knew that the KA had to have a reasonably accessible home when we redid the kitchen, so I planned for it. Our solution was a 15" full-height pull-out with optional internal pull-outs above it. We actually did two of these on the end of the island run. One holds the KA (trivets in the small upper pull-out) and the other holds the pet food bins (pet medicines, etc. in the small upper pull-outs). Our cabinets are Ikea, so I'm sure a cabinetmaker could duplicate or riff on the idea.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Melissa--I know the point of those lifters is to use it on the lift, but I watch my mixer walk around the counter sometimes. I don't want it falling off the lift. Plus, I have the same concerns as Rhome for using it on the stand. I have an 18" cab planned right now next to the fridge for the lift. Anxious to hear how you like yours when it's done. Thanks.

Celine--I would like to keep the mixer near my baking area on the peninsula. I wish I could have found a way to just snuggle mine away on the counter like your pic. I love that look.

Rhome--I used to lift mine from a base cab around the corner in the family room and waddle into the kitchen around the toy box and kids play table. I couldn't use a mixer on a lift either. I just thought it would be easier to get out if I didn't have to lift it up. The commercial ones are very heavy.

I don't think KAs are ugly in general, just my commercial white one. Although it would go with my cabs and marble. ;). The easiest solution would be just to leave it out. It would look lonely there by itself. Oh.....and I need an outlet there somewhere to be able to plug the darn thing in! Thanks!

Florantha--Do mean the uppers to the left of the sink? The MW will be a drawer in the island across from the ovens.

Nat--since my drawing, the fireplace was installed wrong so my aisle b/w it and the peninsula is just less than 48" now. I do not want to go less than that. Putting an appliance garage there does make sense, but the counter there will serve as buffet space during a party. As it is, I don't have enough space for food now. I really don't want to go less, but I'll consider your suggestion. Thank you.

Jakabedy--you sent me those pics a few months ago. Thank you! That's what made me think of the lift. As I noted, I planned an 18" cab next to the pantry for this purpose.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nutsaboutflowers--sorry I missed your post there. An appliance garage there does seem logical. I gave my reasons above for it not being the perfect solution for how I'll use my space, but I'll definitely consider it. Thank you!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I'd make a swift adjustment to 2 top drawers under the peninsula - to be a pull out to house the KA. then you'd just have to lift it up a bit to set on the peninsula for use.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi steph. I'm not sure I follow your suggestion. Do you mean that the cab should have two shallow drawers on top and a pullout on the bottom for the mixer?

• bellacucina
    13 years ago

Hi breezy, I put one in my new reno --it's in the island, and I'll post a pic for you tonight if you want. In the old kitchen, I had it on the counter in the corner. I didn't mind it there, and used it a couple times a month at least, but wanted to have less stuff on the counter. I didn't want an appliance garage for the same reason, so I found room in a base cab. There's also an outlet in the island for the KA.
    The pro's, imho:
    It's hidden, and it's easier than lifting it out of a cabinet onto the counter. It also makes it easier to lift onto the counter, b/c it brings it up to counter level for you. The mixer lift is strong enough to hold the "pro" series KA (which I think I have); there may be different sizes/ratings so if you put one in, make sure it will support your machine's dimensions & wt. The lift barely wobbles even when kneading (but I wouldn't leave the room while the KA is on); I made several batches of pretty stiff marshmallow fondant on it last week using the dough hook and since it was the 1st time on the mixer lift, I was very careful.

The cons:
    It will take up an entire base cab - I think mine is in an 18" base, and there's no room for a drawer on top. But there IS room underneath the lift for KA accessories.
    Yes, it can be messy. Just as messy as the KA on your counter, except the stuff can fly onto the floor, and in your cabinet too. Depending on where you put the mixer lift, it CAN be a traffic hazard. I don't think I'll use mine on the lift unless I'm by myself in the kitchen, b/c I didn't put it in the best spot. Mine is on the island, across from my CC range. When the mixer lift is up, the cab door has to be open, so you need enough room to get around it.

Good luck with this (one of many) decision!

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Would you be okay with having your mixer on the counter, if it were better-looking? If so, you could investigate having it powder-coated. This is a process used for automotive and sometimes architectural applications. It produces a painted surface, any color you like, that is harder that typical sprayed-on paint. Look in the yellow pages.

If you don't want the mixer to be visible, and can't lift it from a base cabinet drawer or shelf, then an appliance garage or mixer lift will have to be squeezed in somewhere. I don't see a natural spot for a counter-level garage, so you might be stuck with the lift. Or can the mixer live in the cabinet to the right of the sink?

The other solution would be to give the mixer a small counter inside what looks like a corner pantry by the refrigerator (right? It doesn't show on the plan but does on the picture). Use it in there.

You have a layout where everything in the kitchen is immediately visible from the front door as well as from anywhere else in threee ''rooms''. Not just mixer, but dirty dishes, food packages, bread crumbs, etc. It is a layout suited for an antiseptic neatnik (or an unrepentant slob, but that's not you). Is there such a thing as a chrome professional KA?

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Oops, I overlooked natschultz's suggestion of a garage on the side of the refrigerator cabinet. That sounds good, maybe with glazed uppers above.

• natschultz
    13 years ago

Ok, you should keep the KA with the rest of your baking stuff, not across the kitchen - that kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a baking center to begin with.

I am assuming that your cabinet maker (local person?) has not yet made those 2 peninsula cabs, so I think what desertsteph said makes the most sense. Basically, it would be the REVERSE of what jakabedy has: Instead of a 3-drawer cab, you will have one normal drawer on the bottom and one TALL drawer on top - measure the KA, add 2-3 inches for clearance and have your cabinetmaker build it that way. Kind of like a tall breadbox drawer. Because it will be the top drawer it will be easy to pull open the drawer, pick up the KA and put it on the counter. Just make sure he uses super heavy-duty Blum glides rated at least 200 pounds (to be safe - lots of dead weight) and a MINIMUM 1/2" plywood drawer bottom. I'm assuming each cab is 24" wide, so the KA will not take up the entire width of the drawer (but 12" (half cab) would be too narrow), so maybe he can add some narrow slide-out shelves to one side.

I'd put this cab next to the fridge and leave the regular 3-drawer on the end.

This is a much better solution than a mixer lift if you plan to use it on the counter anyway. At least you don't waste a base cab - you still have storage space in that tall drawer, even if you just put stacking containers next to the KA. And it shouldn't cost anymore either - only need one set of super-heavy duty glides rather than two normal sets, and he only has to make one large drawer and drawer front instead of two.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Continuing my string of confused out-of-context suggestions - if you install a 1/2'' high ''fence'' on the perimeter of the mixer lift platform, the KA will not be able to commit appliance suicide. Go to San Francisco and check out the anti-jumper fencing on the Golden Gate Bridge for ideas. Oh, wait, the bridge has none. Your mixer would still be able to fly to SFO, take a bus to the bridge, and join the queue of jumpers. So make sure you keep it firmly plugged in and don't let it make any airline reservations. I guess your mixer could still walk to The City By The Bay - but it would take a long time, and a lot of dough. Why is your mixer so despondent? Because his mistress considers him too ugly to be seen. Have you, and Ugly Mixer, considered couples therapy? You can't just let him mope around and eat cake. Look what happened to Beauty and The Beast.

• melissastar
    13 years ago

Hey Breezy: Although mine isn't quite done, I think I can give it a try this weekend. The platform it's on is a bit too small, so that would be a REAL test! I'll give it a try and report. I'm thinking that a lip, as Johnliu jokingly suggests might help, if it is a problem or maybe just a layer of rubbery stuff under it...like an antislip rug mat.

In my case, the lift platform is "suspended" above the floor as someone suggested, but it's directly at the counter I'd be working at and not in a traffic pattern. So using it right there should prove easy. And I typically use a spatter shield on my KA, since I don't like cleaning stuff off the counter or walls nearby any more than I like cleaning it off the floor.

I'll make a cake this weekend and report back on how it works. Frankly, even if it DOESN'T work, I'd still have had to find a place to put it, and at least it'll be easier to move from the lift to the counter than from the bottom of a cabinet. No possibility of an appliance garage for me, though that's where it was (quite comfortably) in my previous home.

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I won't use my mixer on the lift. While I have no trouble moving the appliances around, I can't "lift" them up or down easily because I have a bad knee and a bad shoulder (both from different stupid stunts attempted on horseback when I was younger).

And I have the added complication in that I've got more than one of them - so I have a "sort of" garage and a lift. when the mixers are used, they are moved to the counter-top adjacent to them.

Do you do a lot with dough? if so you may not want to cut into that big open peninsula with a garage. I'd be looking at the end of the island - seeing if something could be put in there. The lift does need some extra room for the sides, but if you have face framed cabs, most of that would fit inside the frames and you'd have most of the use of the opening. My KA is 10.5" at the widest, so I could have fit it in a cabinet with about 14" internal space with an opening of about 12.5". (the other mixer is shorter but wider - and 1.5lbs lighter too)

I got my lift from Rockler for about $105. The reviews on the cheaper models were horrible.

• motodetroit
    13 years ago

You could hide it under a David Smith workshop box and keep it on the counter (though if it lived in johnliu land it might not be happy there and would escape to S.F.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Nifty boxes

• calimama
    13 years ago

I have an appliance lift in the island, and for the most part I do use it on the lift stand. If I were going to be doing an all day baking affair, I would probably move it to the counter (which would be an easy move)so I could close the doors, which as bellacucina mentioned can get in the way. Regardless of whether it is on a lift or counter, mixers can "walk" of the edge- so you can't leave them anyway! At least on the lift, you could strap it down so it doesn't jump to it's death!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

breezy, I was looking at the black object on the elevation and thought it was a microwave. A t.v.? Anyway, that is the corner I'm discussing. Is the window at the corner already installed?

If the uppers came down to countertops like a hutch you would sorta echo the opposite corner of the countertop run In the corner you won't miss the space on countertop, you'll be using it.

• willtv
    13 years ago

Regardless of where you store your KA, you'll want to put an A/C outlet at counter height in the panel between the fridge and baking center so you can plug it in. Another consideration is to leave the KA on the countertop next to the fridge and find a mixer cover that will compliment your decor.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

"Do you mean that the cab should have two shallow drawers on top and a pullout on the bottom for the mixer?"

no, I'd use the upper drawer(s) for the KA since it is so heavy. depending on how you want the design of the 2 banks of drawers next to each other - you could keep the fronts of them looking the same, just have the 2 top drawers on the right bank be actually 1 drawer/pull out. and keep the bottom drawer separate. I'd assume you'd want the KA closest to the 'wall' area for a plug in.

use the bottom drawer for attachments / extra bowl - or whatever.

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

I use my KA so infrequently, that I didn't want it sitting on the counter in the new kitchen. I had the cabinet guy make one bottom cabinet the right width with a pullout shelf for the mixer. I will just lift it up on the counter whenver I need to use it. I use the KA hand mixer most of the time. And I mix by hand quite a bit, too. I thought about a lift, but had heard they weren't real stable. But most everyone here loves them, so they must have improved alot.

• kashmi
    13 years ago

The ideas below probably are not what you are looking for, BUT I really think they are cooool!

We leave our KA (plain white) out almost all of the time. When we need the space, I just move it somewhere else. Those few times, for us at least, are worth it for the convenience of having the KA there when we need it.

Having said that, my mother would never leave an appliance out. Holidays at her house are a riot, with people waking up at different times, making toast. Then she puts the toaster away. Then someone else gets up, pulls it out .... you get the drift! It's become a family joke, so I'm sure when we are all home for holidays that she puts it away more quickly just for the reaction.

Sorry for that digression. In any case, here are the options I wanted to suggest. I have no association with any of these folks. Just have coveted one of these. The problem is deciding which one: paralysis of analysis.

The first is from Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/63952814/kitchen-aid-mixer-decals-vinyl-wall-art

The second is from this blog: http://www.etsy.com/listing/63952814/kitchen-aid-mixer-decals-vinyl-wall-art

And the third is via the link below. These, I think, are what Alton Brown used to have on his mixer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flame decals

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

I also just leave mine out. Awhile back, I tried storing it and found I didn't use it.

I also have a 70 lb espresso machine, and a big burr grinder, that I leave on the counter too.

Despite all that gear, dh and I were able to comfortably cook and do prep together no prob, and we don't have as much counter space. My vote is to leave it out too! I have the 500 series and I personally love the look of it!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bella--I'd love to see the pics of yours, if you don't mind!

John--I like the idea of painting the thing. I've had old vintage garden chairs powder coated. Sometimes I think my KA must have a passport it uses to mix a large batch of thick dough the way it shimmies for the door! I thought a commercial kind like this was supposed to be for heavy use. Now I'm considering something like Kate's mixer thread was discussing when I start baking bread again. It might not want to leave me the way my KA does.

Nat--I like the idea of it in a pull-out on the top instead of the bottom like Jakabedy's.

Melissa--Mine doesn't have a splatter guard. I know what you mean though about having to store it anyway.

Macybaby--I don't want to cut into that peninsula space for two reasons--baking and buffet service. I NEED that space. Yours looks great! Thanks for the sourcing tip.

Calimama--Yeah, I don't leave the kitchen with the mixer on.

Florantha--That black object is my Gaggia espresso machine. The windows were put in a couple of weeks ago. I had considered an appliance garage/hutch there before (I think maybe you suggested it on another of my threds) to hide the Gaggia and still may do that. Putting the mixer there won't work as the baking area is on the opposite side of the kitchen.

Will--I need power on that peninsula somewhere. The fridge panel is just that--a cabinet panel--so I can't put an outlet there even though that's the perfect spot.

Desertsteph--Thanks for explaining. That makes sense.

Joyce--A pullout sounds like a good way to go.

Kashmi--I forgot about the decals! So cool, but I don't think it's really me. I like the toaster story!!

Jill--Mine was stored a distance from the kitchen before so I don't think I used it as often because I didn't want to drag it out. I can see that if it were really handy, I'd use it more often. Your espresso machine sure dwarfs mine!

Motodetroit--That could be the answer for me!! Some of those boxes are much too country for me, but I'm sure I could find the right one. I could leave it on the counter covered. Easy to use when necessary. Keeps the dust off. And then I could tuck it in the pantry when I need the buffet space! Perfect!! Thanks!

Thanks for all the great ideas and experiences. It comes down to:

Visibility/Accessibility--leaving it on the counter with a possible cover. Not my ideal, but easy to use and it doesn't take up base storage.

Storage/Accessibility--using valuable base storage just to get it out of my view but having to lift it out to use, either with a lift or brute strength.

Sounds like another form vs. function problem for me! ;)

• blfenton
    13 years ago

I keep mine out tucked in a corner and move it to my baking area when I need it and put it away when we have company.

This is a little out of left field - but if this was my kitchen the peninsula would not be my baking area. I wouldn't want to be that far away from a sink,range or ovens.
    I can see you baking either on the island with the little ones on the stools "helping" you or between the range and the other sink. For my baking I like to be near the clean-up sink so that I can easily put the used measuring cup, measuring spoons, spatulas, wooden spoons etc straight into it. I use way more utensils cooking than I do prepping so like to be near the clean-up sink.
    My 2cents worth.

• melissastar
    13 years ago

The quick and dirty: It's a success. I would make the decision to buy it again.
    The details: I have the heavy duty Rockler appliance lift. The platform attached to it (on which the KA mixer sits)
    is a 1" thick piece of butcherblock securely attached to the lift apparatus.

My mixer is one of those big old (about 20 years) white kitchen aids that the bowl lifts up on rather than
    the head tilting down. It's either a 5.5 quart or 6 qt. bowl.

I used the mixer on the lift today to make a tunnel of fudge cake...nothing heavy duty like bread dough,
    but I did have to cream 1.5 cups of very cold butter, which usually makes the mixer womp around a bit.

The verdict: It did NOT move an inch on the platform. It was easy to lift the platform and return it with
    mixer on it to the cabinet. I didn't get any more splatters anywhere than I usually do (and I didn't
    use the splatter guard) Of course, it wasn't a particularly splatter-y recipe.

As for location, it is similar to where I think you would end up putting yours Breezy. It's in the end cabinet
    (18") of a peninsula that extends 4 feet from the counter against the wall. I found it easy and convenient
    to use it standing on the left side of it (facing the peninsula counter), so that I was in effect standing at a corner...
    with my ingredients on the peninsula and the mixer at 90 degrees to it.
    I had been slightly concerned that I might feel confined standing and working in what is essentially a 32" wide
    cul-de-sac, between the wall counter, the peninsula and the appliance lift...but it didn't feel that way at all.
    The appliance lift just doesn't stick out far enough to feel confining.

Hope this helps you make a good decision. I can tell you that I'm really glad not to have to lift
    that sucker up onto the counter.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Back again (I was doing some stuff in the kitchen) If I was at your peninsula I'd be walking all over the kitchen when baking. On your island you are right next to a water source and almost across from your ovens,near the DW and probably right beside a trash can, same as on the perimeter between range and sink.
    Another 2cents worth.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was googling around and found some fabric mixer covers on Etsy. This one is actually kinda cute!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mixer cover

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Melissa--Thanks for the review! I'm suprised that the mixer stayed on the stand. I'm glad yours is working. No more bending sounds so good to me!

Blfenton--You've brought up something I buried deep down inside when drawing this plan. Originally, the ovens were on the peninsula and the prep sink was at that end. The baking area on the peninsula made sense then. After I changed the layout, the sink got bumped farther into the island. I tried to gloss over the issues it caused with the Baking Zone and pretend like I could still bake there.

In reality, I wash/rinse/wipe my hands off a zillion times during cooking and baking. Having the sink so far away will cause problems for me in the long run. And I use a ton of little utensils, measuring spoons, etc too.

Oh boy.....((((deep breath)))) I admit it. I need to move the Baking Zone. I'll need to re-inventory my storage now for both the range area and the peninsula. The cabinet maker has only just started my cabs so if I can come up with changes by Monday I should be fine.

THANKS! Said sarcastically! And thank you sincerely too. You saved me a major PITA later.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

You could move the baking center to either the island area or the space between the range and clean-up sink. Whichever area is easier to reorganize.
    If you move it to the island, the pantry is closer and the drawers in the peninsula could maybe be used for baking bowls, reconfigured to have a slotted cupboard for cookie sheets/cooling racks, a drawer for parchment paper/tin foil/wax paper. Flours, sugars, rolled oats,nuts, dried fruit, etc could either be in your pantry or in one of the drawers in your peninsula as well. On the right side of the island (when facing it) you could have your ingredients placed out on the right side of the sink, while on the left side would be your baking area which is right by your DW and clean-up sink giving you easy access for dirty things.
    I like the idea of the island. Now, as for where you are going to put that danged KA mixer (bet you wished you had never asked) can you put it on a lift in the island?

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Sorry - I'm really doing things in fits and starts today. It's beautiful outside and I don't really want to be doing laundry and I'm watching the cats chatting to the birds on our lawn. However it's really windy and too cold still to be doing any gardening. ANYWAY-
    If you put your baking center between the range and clean-up sink there is lots of room for laying out ingredients and your mixer. Your upper cabinets could house your spices, and things like vanilla, cinnamons, baking soda/powder, salt and maybe measuring cups(?). Flours, sugars, oats, etc either pantry or lazy susan right beside you, and bowls,papers etc beside you as well or in the island behind you. The cookie sheets, baking pans and cooling racks don't have to be right near you although it be nice. Utensils either in the top drawer to the left or right of the range.
    Now as for that KA mixer maybe leave it out in the corner with a pretty top?
    What is the black square in the far corner?
    You have lots of space and a myriad of options for planning your cabinets. Good Luck. (Always glad to help)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Blfenton--It's nice weather here too, a bit warmer than you. DH took DS so I'm thinking about driving to the house to get the stroller for a brief walk with the baby.

I'm thinking the Baking Zone should not be in the island I have very limited storage there for my prep items as it is. The right of the range seems better. There's actually some decent storage space there with the lazy susan, 39" drawer stack and uppers. I have a lot to think about tonight when the kids go to bed and DH is at poker!

The black thing on my plan is my Gaggia espresso machine. It lives on the counter.