SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funcolors

Wallpaper Removal Solution

Lori A. Sawaya
16 years ago

I would officially recommend Safe and Simple wallpaper remover. Thanks to Homeprotex for the tip. Only order ONE bottle, however. Good gravy, the stuff goes on forever! Two ounces to one gallon of water is all it takes.

Peeled off the top layer of paper as they recommended. Spritzed on a generous layer of Safe and Simple. It drips like mad, have towel handy.

Per the new tip I read from Faron, I covered it with Saran Wrap so it didn't dry out while it sat for the required 15 minutes. Peeled back the plastic, gave it another quick spritz and using a putty knife it skimmed off the wall like butter. The last spritz helped the paper stay in sheets; it would still come off easy without the final spritz, but it flaked and made a bigger mess.

Gave the wall another spritzin' and went over it with a green plastic kitchen scrubby to get remaining paste. Washed down the wall with clean water to finish. Done.

I did hang this wallpaper myself, so there was Shieldz under the paper. I'm sure that helped.

I'll never buy DIF again. The safe and simple part was the best part of Safe and Simple. :D No odor, no VOC, not a harsh product to use in your home at all.

Comments (2)