SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

has anyone seen these or anything like them?

kateskouros
15 years ago

searching for squared lanterns like these. i'm also guessing these cost 2K or more since everything i like seems cost prohibitive. if you happen to have any info on these or come across anything similar (more on the spare side in both aesthetic and cost!) could you please let me know? i found this pic on a blog and there was no info. i'm going to need three lanterns for my island and i'd like to keep them under $600 a piece if at all possible. thanks!

{{gwi:1413349}}

Comments (27)

• trixieinthegarden
    15 years ago

They are beautiful! Do a search for outdoor hanging lights or outdoor hanging lanterns...there are many with that same styling. I just looked quickly over at Lamps Plus and found this one that is quite similar

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanging Lantern

• sergeantcuff
    15 years ago

Try googling "colonial hanging lantern". I'm seeing lots but many have too much metal or are too rustic. Good luck.

• Related Discussions

Has anyone ever seen anything like this???

Q

Comments (10)
    Looks like a beak - maybe a flock with my "sitting duck" potato? (My grandpa always called them "schmoo" potatoes.)
    ...See More

Has anybody ever seen anything like this?

Q

Comments (5)
    Sometimes when a plant/tree is severely stressed & "thinks" it's dying, it will bloom in an effort to reproduce itself. Your tree looks like an old one (redbuds supposedly don't live very long), so this may be its swan song. You might want to check this tree for stability/safety: I once had a redbud that got waterlogged & rotted & started to fall over. In an attempt to reduce the weight that was pulling it down, I pruned off all the lower branches. Even though it was late autumn, the tree bloomed gloriously. & died.
    ...See More

Has Anyone ever seen a tomato like this?

Q

Comments (7)
    If she wants a relatively organic option, spinosad is listed as killing thrips. She should spray every surface of the plants, including flowers/buds, the undersides of leaves, etc. Repeat 3 days later to kill the thrips that were eggs for the first spray or managed to hide. I would repeat again a few days later. Spinosad is a bit more broad-spectrum than most biologicals, so she should do it in the evening after the bees are finished.
    ...See More

Has anyone seen anything funny?

Q

Comments (31)
    Saw this on Twitter: My son kept saying he wanted “brownies” so I baked brownies and was still crying saying “no I want the white brownies” I had to call my husband and ask what he meant. Whole time he meant “hashbrowns”
    ...See More
  • boysrus2
    15 years ago

They do look like the kind of light that would hang in a covered portico or entryway. That's where I'd search.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

OK, this may be a bit of a wild goose chase but I saw a light very much like what you posted (even simpler actually) on the sfbay craigslist just last night. Can't look myself right now but if you do a search in household for "square light" it should come up. They mentioned the manufacturer of the light in their posting so you could take it from there.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

K I found it. It's probably a bit more modern than what you're aiming for:
    {{!gwi}}

Company is EQ3 the light is "boxy".

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the link

• shanghaimom
    15 years ago

Hi Kate,

Those are some of the nicest I have seen...wow. Agree that IF you find the source, they are more than likely very expeeeeensive.

I have also been searching, and the best selection/price I have found so far is Ballard Design's "ONLINE ONLY" collections. Several gorgeous pendants I have not seen anywhere else.

For what it is worth, (2 cents) this type of clear glass pendant has a lot of glare and not a lot of "glow" because of the naked bulbs. The look is so beautiful, but the glare is something to keep in mind.

• redroze
    15 years ago

These are from Turn of the Century Lighting. They look very similar.

Now's the part where you kill me. They are $3650 each!! But it is an antique (no idea if they even have more than one). TOCL does antique reproductions as well - maybe you can special order for a reasonable price?

Good luck.

{{!gwi}}

• emmatux
    15 years ago

You may want to check out Ballard Designs "Redon 3 Light"
    pendant.

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

I don't have any other suggestions (I was going to say the above) but I do want to add that those are awesome!! Keep us posted. You have such great taste - I can't wait to see your house!!

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago

Those lanterns are exquisite--I hope someone turns up the exact light bc I would be interested as well.
    Here's something fairly close from Circa Lighting without the seeded glass. It's $882.

{{!gwi}}

• blakey
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I bought one from Bevolo Lighting for my side entrance foyer. They are based in New Orleans so I was really happy to support their economy while also finding a beautiful hanging lantern. They have a website with photos.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hey, thanks everyone! i'm going to check out some of the links above but in the meantime allison (over on the building forum) suggested if i find similar without the seeded glass i could just get the glass replaced. another reason why i'm so grateful to have these forums. that is really a great idea since i can just focus on finding a lantern with the "right" shape/finish/size, knowing the glass could always be switched out. wanted to pass it along in case you didn't see the thread over on "the other side"! definitely something to consider in your travels.

• profrip
    15 years ago

this site has lots of different stuff
    attached version is customizable in terms of glass, size, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i looked at the ballard site and the redon 3-light and i'm wondering if it would be possible to alter these to a simpler form and add the seeded glass? i think i could probably find someone to fit the glass and dh could probably do a welding job ...unless there's something i don't know lighting construction (which would be everything). what do we think?

ballard designs redon 3-light pendant in original form:
    {{gwi:1413350}}

and kate's redone 3-light pendant, plus add seeded glass:
    {{gwi:1413351}}

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

or i can simply get this very well priced lantern from pottery barn ($268) and add the seeded glass. i give up the lines of the inspiration pendant but retain the square shape that i love. it's a very far cry from the original, but i think as long as i didn't have that photo slapped up right next to it, it might actually look very good. or am i delusional?

PB gothic pendant, $268
    {{gwi:1413352}}

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago

I like the PB lantern a lot. It's only 12 x 17 though. The lanterns in your inspiration photo look a lot larger than that. In my mind, their size is part of what makes them so striking.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes the sizes on all of the above seem much smaller. although i want to use three. this island will be 6x10... it's tough to find a sizable lantern at reasonable cost... the search continues.

• eventhecatisaboy
    15 years ago

Oooh! I love those lights! I'm in love with something similar. It is a light that was in a dining room from the Midwest Living's 2007 Idea Home. I love the shape and style of the light. It's not overdone. The info. source says it came from H. Kogan Antiques and Lighting. I could of sworn that I read that they took an outdoor light and had the seeded glass panels custom made. Can't find that info. now, but it makes sense.

Hope you find something you love and in your price range! Let us know if you find something!

I've added a link to the picture of the light that I love.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1413348}}

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

You could try calling Foundry
    www.Foundrylightinf.com

{{!gwi}}

or Julie Neill Designs
    to see if they know who manufactures something similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Julie Neill

• friedajune
    15 years ago

Kateskouros - give a look to Brass Light Gallery which I've linked below. It's best to download two of their catalogs called "Prairie Arts Collection" and "Classic Exteriors Collection", cause the individual pics on their website are not that extensive, but the catalogs picture everything.

Brass Light Gallery has tons of finishes to choose from (not all shown on the website). And they have all kinds of glass (e.g. seeded, frosted, opaque, clear, and many more) which may help with the glare issue noted above by Shanghaimom. You can even choose the overlay (overlay being the metal pieces you've removed in your "simpler" version of your lantern pic above). You will see in Brass Light's Prairie Arts Collection catalog how you can opt for Prairie Overlay, Foursquare Overlay, MacIntosh Overlay or No Overlay.

I myself liked the "Prairie Sunrise Fixtures" in the Exteriors Catalog, and in their Prairie Arts Catalog I like the Studio Lantern (more rectangular than you are looking for, but in their pic, it looks awesome if you have high ceilings), and the Chicago Lantern.

Brass Light Gallery's quality is really excellent, so is their customer service. I have three of their sconces, and I never get tired of looking at their beauty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brass Light Gallery

• beachmusic
    15 years ago

Williams-Sonoma has a fixture very similar to that in PB, but a larger scale. It's the Arch Top Lantern. Not sure if I can include the link below, so just in case, it's www.wshome.com

• salviastreet
    15 years ago

I bought the Circa Lighting/Visual Comfort equivalent to the Pottery Barn lantern above from this eBay seller for $199 .. with shipping it came out just a little cheaper than the PB one, and is bigger and I assume a little higher quality. I am thrilled with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Visual Comfort Chart House Lantern

• steff_1
    15 years ago

Found another option for you.

No price on this one as it's "to the trade only."

Here is a link that might be useful: Portico Light

• sturdy
    15 years ago

I saw a couple in the chandelier section of Lowes ONLINE (not in store) as well as in the outdoor section of Home Depot ONLINE. They seem to mimic the PB lights more than the inspiration lights but they were relatively cheap (approx $150). I think the table in the inspiration photo is approx 12-15 ft which is larger than your island length. So, lights as large as the inspiration photo are IMO too large and with approx 4 bulbs per fixture, too much light. I think something a little smaller than the inspiration photo would work well.

• sturdy
    15 years ago

This is round but nice $270 (World Imports 1663-89):

This one is by Troy Lighting $432 (TRYF9333OR):

• prestonbeary
    15 years ago

Not square but similar...from Ethan Allen

They are large 24" high

http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=390&categoryId=8051

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Look at this new thread -- doesn't his lighting look kinda like what you're after? (a little more frou, but close) He writes it's from Graham's Lighting. ???