SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawk307

What's for Dinner ? #251

hawk307
16 years ago

No Cooking Pics. Just some more colors for Fall cooking.

{{gwi:2070678}}

LOU

Comments (102)

• gardengrl
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Could someone pretty please repost the recipe for Pat's Perfect Buttermilk Biscuits?

• User
    16 years ago

OMG, what great looking and sounding food! Also love the Fall pics, just gorgeous. You'd think this was the Photography Forum you guys and gals are soooooo good. Have to say the one that put me over the top was Nancy's pickerel/walleye.....off to the fish monger tomorrow!

No pics here, actually Clive took one of our T-Day table but he has his camera with him at work.

We were at the cottage from Friday until this AM. We had to get Doug's cottage "put to bed", water turned off, docks and boats in/out etc.

Usually I have the whole fam damily at our cottage for T-Day so it was weird having just Clive and I. Did the full court press T-Day dinner anyway.....talk about left overs! LOL

Dinners were pretty tasty actually.

Friday was so gorgeous we grilled burgers out in the middle of the lake on the "party boat".

Saturday was Chicken Souvlaki with rice and a Greek Salad.

Sunday was Turkey and all the trimmings.

Sunday was Beef Stroganoff and homemade noodles.

Monday Pasta Putanesca and Chicken Parmesan.

Lunches were homemade Chile, French Onion Soup and Turkey sandwiches and Turkey sandwiches Dinner tonight turkey something or other....LOL

The occupational therapist is trying Sara on some pureed foods. She is less than impressed with hospital puree fare! . Tomorrow I'm taking her some left over mashed potatoes and turkey gravy, she lit right up at the sound of it! May see if I can tempt her with some puree of cauliflower topped with some cheese sauce. If we can get some nutritious food into her they can remove that darn feeding tube.

• Related Discussions

Echo PB-251 Blower

Q

Comments (4)
    I got an Echo a few years back, but I don't remember the model, but I paid about $30 more. I pretty much agree with your review. It always has started on the third pull. The fist two with the choke on, then when it sputters, take the choke off & pull again & it always starts. I always wear muffs or ear plugs, but it seems quieter than my old homelite. The only "problem" I have is that I've found a blower is handy in the winter to blow light, fluffy snow off the car & sidewalk. The echo won't run at full power I think because it won't warm up enough or the lean running carb can't handle the cold air properly. Leaving it on partial choke doesn't help. I might look into restricting the cooling air to see if it will warm up better.
    ...See More

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #387

Q

Comments (102)
    Shambo, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I know he had some health issues and you were cooking low salt and healthy meals for him. I'm sending hugs and strong thoughts and prayers to your and your family. Jack, we are kindred spirits, I swear. When I make twice baked potatoes I'll make a whole sheet pan full of them, mine usually just has cheese, butter and sour cream, occasionally I'll add bacon. I freeze them and then package them usually two per package, Mother loves them and they're easy to heat up. Of course someone is always digging through my freezer to see if I have any, all of the grandkids and the kids love them and they make a fast and easy supper. Jasdip, as you know, I love potatoes in just about any form, so being able to grab a package quickly is a luxury. They are quite durable too, LOL. Neely, I have a pile of butternut squash in storage, if only I had a pile of prawns too! sleevendog, that looks pretty to me! Delicious too. No pictures here, today we had hamburgers! Tomorrow we're making sandwiches and having cake and ice cream for Madison's 9th birthday. No party this year, of course, but we bought her a hoverboard, so she'll be happy, even with just her folks and Elery and I. I baked a strawberry cake too, with sea turtles on top, her choice. I'll try to remember to take pictures, and hopefully she won't break an arm or a leg, riding the thing around the kitchen island or something... Annie
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner 406 Summer 2023

Q

Comments (103)
    Wow, 4 years. Such a cute age. And a cute cake. We have 5 under 5 with another on the way via 3 nephews. I meant 'passive' haha. Meaning, "you do your thing vegetables. I have no time to babysit." Next day it had a lasagna vibe with the top layer of the pasta. I usually make a harvest lasagna every early Fall...right around the corner. Another pic of the shrimp salad lettuce cups fell from the clouds, A couple weeks ago i sous vide four small sirloins. An easy taco pulling two out of the freezer and thawing with a dry brine, then a cast iron sear. Tossed in kimchi. Next day made a sirloin Banh mi for DH. I had a sirloin salad bowl. Side bean/corn salad About to hit the end of the Summer thread...bummer.
    ...See More
  • User
    16 years ago

Everybody's food looks so yummy, would love the recipe for the Chocolate Pumpkin Loaf (hint hint:). Well I had a frustrating day of bread baking, yeast just would not act right.

I made AnnT's oatmeal bread, it turned out good, need to get some loaf pans so they would be prettier. My pans are so old they just don't bake well anymore, so I free formed the loaves.

I also baked some granola bread and made a pot of bean and squash soup, which I posted on my blog.

We are finally having Fall weather ... cool and raining !

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

Ann great to see your photos..so many going through terrible withdrawal~:)

Sharon..hope you got my e-mail..

Thinking of you..

Sol..Thanks for your mail:)

It's definitely fall here too:)

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Here they are garden..

PATS PERFECT BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    3 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup Crisco shortening
    1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450° F. In medium mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients.
    Using whisk, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal with some tiny bits of shortening still visible. Add buttermilk and stir with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a soft dough.
    Turn out onto floured board and toss dough to coat with flour until dough is no longer sticky. Shape biscuit dough into large balls with hands. Place biscuits onto ungreased baking sheet. Pat to flatten slightly. Bake for about 13 minutes or until biscuits are light golden brown. Serve immediately. Makes 7 huge biscuits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Lou, loving your beautiful autumn pictures with the vibrant colors. I do miss living in Vermont this time of year!

Michelle, Tinker is a very pretty kitty. I love the detail on your Maamouls and they look really nice on that plate. I just ordered some moon cookie molds, should be here Saturday or Monday. Would you care to share your recipe, probably better than the bean paste filling for the moon cookies?

Terri, what's not to like with your roast pork dinner. One of my favorites.

Sharon and Ann, even a non-turkey lover, couldn't find anything bad to say about your meals! Glad to see you both back posting.

Chase, so happy to hear that Sara is on the road to recovery and eating, even if it is pureed food.

Ohiomom, your oatmeal bread looks pretty darned good.....bet it will make wonderful toast.

Dinner tonight was meatball and sauce reinvented, a not very pretty, eggplant Parmigiana! I remembered I had bought a couple fairly small eggplants at the farmers market. I didn't feel the need for all the carbs that are in pasta seeing I made a large lunch for a friend today.

{{gwi:2070747}}

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don't have time for cooking.

Marigene: Here's another Pic. Nothing much, just some more colors.

I hate your pictures . I'm starving !!!!!!

{{gwi:2070748}}
    LOU

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Lou, so lovely...

Dinner tonight is nothing to talk about..a quick skillet chili. (not fab..because I used cubed meat, that really needs another hour or two to break down..but I ate some anyway. Garlic Parm Toast and a salad. And for the boys I toasted some hotdog buns and fried hotdogs in EVOO..

They've been eating cookies all afternoon night.

Pretty good..I'll see if I can find the recipe online, if not I'll post it. The filling is the best part..

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

WOW...Sharon, what a feast you had while at your cabin! Every day is an excellent menu!!! Too bad you did not take pictures, it would have been quite the pictorial like an entire edition of Gourmet Magazine!!!!

Linda, your Oatmeal bread looks so good! I've not made Oatmeal bread in such a long time and as I remember mine looked much heavier then yours. Hmmmm...I'll have to make it again to jog my memory.

Nancy, I bought a roasting chicken yesterday and it was not even on sale. But I just keep thinking of your chicken while I was pushing my cart around so could not resist. We'll have roast chicken for Saturday's dinner.

Garden, you will enjoy Pat's biscuits as they are excellent and I can't wait to try them for Chicken and Biscuits. I've never been able to reproduce my Mom's chicken/biscuit casserole and I'm hoping that Pat's recipe will do the trick.

Marigene....WOW, I've admired the chinese cookie molds for some time now and almost bought the fish and foo dog molds several times. But I held out for the tradtional Maamoul mold.

I will post the Maamoul recipe but I'm not sure you will like it. It is traditional and I think my Mom's Sugar Cookie recipe might work out and I will post it too.

I have quite a bit of date filling left over and am going to make date filled sugar cookies maybe today. The date filling, just chopped dates and butter, is DELICIOUS!

No dinner for us last night as Joe worked late again. However I did buy the mushrooms for Deanna's Mushroom Soup. No Chanterelles available so I bought Oyster, King and Button Mushrooms.

It is cold here, in fact VERY cold. I turned on the heat in the barn last night for the cats. Poor babies were all curled up in one bed and this morning they are all stretched out like it was FL!

Traditional Maamoul Cookies

Dough:
    2-1/3 cups flour
    1 cup Semolina Flour (you can skip this and just use 3 1/3 c. flour but it's not traditional)
    2 tbsp. sugar
    2 sticks of butter, cold
    2 tbsp. rose or orange blossom water (I used rose water or you can sub plain water but water is not traditional)
    Confectioners' sugar for sprinkling

Nut Filling:
    1-1/2 cups walnuts or pistachios, finely chopped
    4 sugar
    1 tsp. cinnamon (walnut filling only)
    2 tbsp. rose or orange blossom water

Date Filling:
    1 c. chopped, pitted dates
    4 T. butter

Cut the butter into the flours with a pastry cutter or your FP. It should crumbly and resemble pie dough. Add sugar mix well. Dribble rose/orange water and mix well. Dough should still be course but will form a ball when compressed.

Nut Filling: Just mix all the ingredients together.

Date Filling: Chop dates, I used my FP. Place butter in a sauce pan and melt. Add dates and stir until butter is completely absorbed by dates. Watch this carefully as it will burn easily. Remove and cool.

The recipe has a long process for forming the cookies in the mold and adding the nut/date filling but it does not work well. So this is how I did it.

The recipe advises to sprinkle flour in the mold before pressing the dough but I've never found this necessary.

Make a small ball of dough and press it into the mold so that the mold is filled to about 1/4 from the top. Then take a teaspoon and crave out some of the dough for the filling. Put some nut or date filling in the hole but don't over fill. Then take some more cookie dough and make a flat pancake with it and place it over the filling, taking care to completely over the mold, and lightly pinch the edges. If the cookie is not flat to the mold, just take a knife and shear it off. Then whack the mold on a cutting board, NOT the countertop, and the cookie should pop out. I usually have to whack the mold twice for my cookie to pop out. Place the cookie on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until LIGHTLY brown on bottom. When cool, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.

Mom's Sugar Cookies

1/2 c. shortening or butter, softened (I use butter)
    3/4 c. sugar
    1 egg
    1 TBL Milk or cream
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 1/4 c. flour
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt

I usually sift my dry ingredients for this recipe. Cream butter and sugar and add flour, salt, and bp mix well. Add vanilla and egg and mix. Chill for about 2-4 hours. Either roll out for cut cookies or use a cookie press.

When I was going through my cookie recipes I found my Shortbread Recipe which, I THINK, would also work but it is a large recipe. I would chill the shortbread dough a bit before trying it with a wooden cookie mold. But again, this is a huge recipe and making cookies with a wooden cookie mold is time consuming with a small recipe.

Shortbread Cookies

1 lb of butter, softened
    1/2 margarine (this is the only recipe I use margarine)
    6 1/2 c. flour
    2 c. sugar

Mix all ingredients and mix until smooth. Roll out until about 1/2" thick. Cut out shapes and prick with fork on top. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly brown on bottom.

Michelle

• riverrat1
    16 years ago

Oooh Pat, I copied and pasted your wonderful biscuite recipe and it's identical to the one I use from AnnT.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Country Biscuits

================

Edited/November 2005

2 cups of flour

1 Tablespoon of baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup shortening, lard, crisco or butter (I use butter)

1 cup of milk (cream) or buttermilk

if using buttermilk add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda)

Optional. Add a little sugar if you prefer sweet rather than savory.

Mix the flour with the baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening until

it resembles coarse meal. Stir milk or cream in to flour mixture. Mix

quickly with fork until dough comes together. Using hands gently pat

the ingredients together. Do not over handle. Pat out to about 1/2 to

3/4 inch thick on a lightly floured board.

Cut with biscuit cutters and place on a parchment paper lined cookie

sheet and bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes at 450°F.

If making cheese biscuits add the mustard and cayenne to the dry

ingredients and add the cheese after the shortening has been cut into

the flour.

(Note: to cut in shortening either use a pastry blender or put the dry

ingredients along with the shortening in a food processor and pulse

until the fat is the size of little peas. Do not over process. Pour the

mixture into a bowl and add the liquid stirring with a fork.)

(Options: For cheese biscuits, add cayenne pepper, dry mustard and some

shredded cheddar cheese) or add some fried ham and green onions with

the cheese)

Option for using Blue Cheese(s):

Add chopped green onion and Gloucestershire cheese or another type of

blue cheese. And black pepper to taste.

• User
    16 years ago

Michelle

I did make a couple of changes to AnnT's oatmeal bread. I used 2 cups whole wheat flour/2 cups all-purpose flour and I substituted buttermilk for whole milk.

The food critic approved :) He toasted it for breakfast this morning with his oatmeal.

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Michelle, thanks for the recipes.....anxiously awaiting the cookie molds so I can try them out.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Michelle, fish and foo dog molds??? LOL sounds like a pet store item!
    You ladies are amazing. I still haven't ordered my nut molds and you are fishing and fooing!
    Michelle, thanks for those recipes! I make a thumbprint in the shortbread cookie and fill it with melted choc. just a dab..good!
    Marigene, be sure to show us your mold...s....Busy little beavers!

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Ohiomom, you're welcome. The first time I tried the NK Bread, I used flour in the pot; the second time, I used cornmeal; the third time I just dumped the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper. Any of these will work fine, but I liked the plain, parchment idea, because clean up is minimal.

Lou, I especially love that last picture.

Ann, you know I'm not crazy about turkey, and yet, I could make that yummy-looking dinner disappear in one fell swoop.

Michelle, I love the imprint on your Marmool cookies, and Marigene, I'll have to check out those molds. The few that I have found locally didn't hold a candle to the ones pictured above. They would be great for so many things.

Jain, enjoy your vacation. May Godspeed.

Sharon/chase, I had no idea what had happened to Sara, so after seeing your post above, I did a search, using your name and the subject popped up on "Conversations." I'm feeling numb and a little speechless. And you know how often that happens. I'll email you.

Sorry I'm running late, or I'd post pictures of last night's dinner.

Hey Mme. M., I'm glad you got my instructions. I hope to see the alphabet cutters being put to good use. As if anything could possibly go wrong with the cutters in your possession.

Dinner tonight? No clue.

Sol

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Well we had a hectic day with two dinners Tuesday when my daughter came to Annapolis for the viewing of a friend who had died of an overdose. It was an exhausting visit but that's how it is when a 25year old dies. Dick and I did think with gratitude that we were not the ones planning a funeral...

But the food was good and my dd and the two friends who drove with her as company enjoyed it a lot. Just chicken in tomato sauce and garlicy baby squash. POOFed ice cream that was fortunately IN the freezer.

Tonight it's a boys night in and I'm not overly thrilled with the posole I'm making from an emailed Cuisine recipe. Oh well, these men know they're guinea pigs. Yesterday the one grocer with a usual good stock of cilantro had two yucky bunches. The Hispanic woman ahead of me picked one up and pitched it down in disgust. Her husband didn't seem to get why it wasn't good enough. I did!! Gotta run back today and check the produce I was told was coming in.

I'm making Karen's Apple cake and hope that helps make up for some so-so soup. Dick also peeled the last round of apples for another batch of Apple Maple Butter. This batch will go in pint jars for thems that love it.

(Michelle...I looked at your pics on Flickr and the molds brought back good memories of pastry in Iran. I think I bought my (now gone) mold in Syria tho. I never had luck with it. I don't have cool hands.)

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Those mamoul molds are so cool! There are 2 Iranian groceries nearby, and I'm just trying their goodies. I like the almonds in sticky honey, the chickpea cookies, the pistachio cookies, etc. Very different and good. Maybe I'll stop by later and see what I find.

I plan on making sweet and sour shrimp tonight, but I may change my mind as it's only 12:23 right now!

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

Marigene..I love those forms..I have the traditional Maamouls..But next time I am in the UsS I plan on ordering the ones you showed..May I ask which purveyor you chose? I would like to go w/ a tried and true..several sites had them..
    Maamouls are so much fun to make..Enjoy!

Sol..I laughed in my head at the word Lunacy today..:)

I am anxious to try! I'll keep you posted..not regarding lunacy..the cutouts of course~

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Maureen, Can I borrow Dick to peel apples for me?

(I had to re word it appropriately..LOL The first thought that came to mind was...I need a D!ck in my kitchen...But I knew Jessy or someone would have a field day with that! LOL)

~now that everyone has wiped their monitor~

Dinner tonight is BREAKFAST..so far I have AnnT's Buttermilk Biscuits and I took 1/2 roll of bacon sausauge and made patties and the other half I broke up and made sausage milk gravy.

I will also make some Chicken(or turkey) Maple Breakfast sausages (TJ's), and some scrambled eggs with cheese for everyone but me. I'll have a soft fried. And french toast for the boys..

Mmmmm...the smell of comfort..and after the rollercoaster I've been on emotionally for the last few days..I definately need it!

• User
    16 years ago

Sharon, I'm glad that you and Clive were able to get away for the weekend. Great meals. Cooking is a wonderful way to keep your mind occupied.

Terri, We had biscuits today too, but I made them for breakfast. And dinner tonight was also breakfast. Scrambled eggs with tomatoes and chives. Didn't feel like real cooking tonight.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Yummm Ann, those look good..I'll have try that variation!

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Linda, your notes to the Oatmeal bread on now included in my copy of the recipe. Thanks!

Maureen, You really just need to whack the mold a few times and the cookie pops out. No cool hands needed...LOL! NICE, that you got to travel to Iran and Syria. We thought about it as I have studied so much of the middle eastern art and architecture, but as always things got in the way of plans.

Sol, they carry the chinese cookie molds on amazon. I think I put them on my Wish List several years ago but never get around to ordering. They are fun!

I made Deanna's Mushroom Soup tonight and it was just wonderful. And even better with my sourdough bread as a dunker....YUM!! Joe loved it and even though I made a huge batch of soup, we ate every drop. I will definitely make again. Thanks Deanna!!

Also picked up some new things for my house. The pineapple symbol is very important in my family, so I saw this large pineapple and just had to buy it. I hope I can find a mate soon. Also picked up a large leaf vase and I love it! I wanted some small side dish bowls but saw this small lidded casseroles and could not resist.

Michelle

• woodie
    16 years ago

Oh Gosh - so many posts and I just can't comment on every single one! I'm always appreciative of the chat and the wonderful pictures and the great recipes and ideas. Msafirstein you got to me with your appreciation of the pineapple symbol! Its something we enjoy also. We have pineapples all over the place - and our cottage at the lake has a pineapple cut out on our shutters (homemade by our sil). One neighbor thought they were spiders, LOL, but we explained what they were - but he wasn't really convinced.

We had the best stirfy tonight - I poofed and pooped a great meal - shrimp, asparagus, onion, garlic, red pepper, Asian sweet/hot chile sauce, Tamari sauce, chicken broth, white wine - all served over brown rice with some green onion sprinkled about! We've been quite busy lately and have our Swedish friends coming to visit tomorrow - along with a few others to liven things up. Lots of menu planning and - OMG - thank God for this forum or I would never know what to cook for 'em all! Among the dishes I have planned which are from this forum are these favs - Roselin's Nutty Barley Bake, Rachael Ray's Sherry Cherry Tomatoes, Marilyn's Scalloped Pineapple, Marilyn's Turkey Meatloaf, Chase's Stacked Pizza - I think I probably left out a few :) The menu isn't finalized yet, so most likely more forum recipes will turn up at our table.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Oven fried sweet potatoes, chicken cutlets with sauteed apples, and red leaf lettuce salad, feta and bacon.
    I never made the sweet fries this way, and they didn't crisp..don't know why, but they wee tasty and we ate them.
    Ann your biscuits are mouth watering...
    Michelle, the soup and bowls/plate look beautiful, and I LOVE the lidded casseroles, perfect for you and dh!

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Computer has been acting up, so I never know if I am going to be able to use it or not.

Ann, those biscuits are to die for! I use your recipe every time I make biscuits. Thanks for sharing!

Michelle, I love this time of year, making soups; yours looks especially nice in your little cabbage leaf bowl. With all the cooking and baking you do.......you find time to go shopping, too! Very nice purchases; are those little cast iron covered casseroles?

Kathleen, I have never been able to get sweet potatoes to crisp up either. Is that a new plate? Very pretty!

Last night's dinner was chicken Marsala, one of our favorites.

{{gwi:2070753}}

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Marigene, I love chicken marsala, almost made that, but I had a lot of apples, so I decided to do the apples and chicken instead. I wonder what the tip is to getting the sweet fries crisp?? I asked on the sweet fries thread, but no one answered.
    That is one of the plates my friend brought back for me from the Christmas Tree Shop this summer. I found cute little ramekins in Target for 50 cents that picks up one of the colors!

• User
    16 years ago

Kathleen, the Parmesan-Coated Sweet Potato Fries come out crisp.

Kathleen and Marigene, both your chicken dinners look delicious.

Ann

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

Michelle or Deanna -

I hunted and couldn't find Deanna's mushroom soup recipe. I've never found a really good one, so would love it if you could post it...

Thanks!
    Emily

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Thank you , Ann. I'll give it a try.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Emily, Here it is:

"I really didn't use a recipe for the soup.
    I melted 1/2c. butter in a sauce pan, added 3 small shallots and one garlic glove finely minced.
    Then course chopped about a pound or so of mushrooms and added those. Covered and let simmer for about 10 minutes or so. I added about 1/4 c. of heavy cream and about 1/2 c. chicken broth, then pureed with my stick blender. Then dissolved 1/3 c. flour in about 1 1/2c. mild and added to soup to thicken. Then I added in just a few more pieces of chopped mushrooms for "chewiness", not very many, probably not even 1/4 c. Sliced crossways a cap of a mushroom for garnish and a few fresh chives. "

I not quite doubled Deanna recipe and it made 4 large bowls of soup. We ate every drop too. No leftovers with this one!

Michelle

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Oh Ann! That's quite a biscuit!

Kathleen, I organized my butler's pantry the other day and now I have 2 1/2 cabinets that are totally empty. So that makes a total of 4 1/2! Your chicken looks wonderful!

Marigene...time and time again and again just fabulous dinners! Yes the little casseroles are cast iron. I thought they'd be perfect for mac and cheese or baked beans. I am so tired of leftovers and am trying to cut down on so many leftovers and most just get thrown away.

Woodie, hope you have a nice time with your Swedish buddies! Make sure and take some pictures, I'd love to see the table.

No dinner tonight as I've have one of my bad headaches and just did not feel like it. But I kept busy decorating cookies. First time I've ever used frosting and not sure I would do it again. I prefer coloring the dough but it was fun trying somethine new.

I figure if fall is not coming to me then I making my own! Joe asked if my 4 years of art school influenced my cookies. What a butthead!

Michelle

• User
    16 years ago

Michelle

WOW !! Those cookies are very 'artistic'. Too pretty to eat :)

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

I can't beLEAF those cookies. They are beautiful!
    And 4 cabs empty?? Did you unpack all the boxes in the barn? lol
    You did a great job! Which recipe did you use for the cookies?? I know you posted 2.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Kathleen, it is 4 1/2 cabs, the 1/2 empty cab is important with a fetish like I have. I do think you are worse though....LOL! Yep, all the boxes for the kitchen are unpacked. In fact there are no boxes in the barn except office stuff and files.

Linda and Kathleen, Thanks for the thumbs up! I used my Mom's Sugar Cookie recipe and I should have made the cookies a bit thicker too. But I wish I had used the Shortbread Cookie recipe. I think it would have been better with the frosting. Sugar Cookie with Icing...oh so sweet. I don't like them much but I keep eating them so I guess they're not too bad. Kids would love 'em!

I think I am going to get more cookie cutters though as it was fun to cut out the cookies and I've not done that in years. Maryanne gave me the neatest thin cotton towels in a previous swap and they work out very well as a pastry cloth and I had no problem at all rolling out my dough.

Michelle

• san_
    16 years ago

good grief...i thought the molded cookies were beautiful and then saw your leaf cookies, michelle. THUD! as ms jessica would say...

last night was easy comfort food--leftover pot roast with some bread to dip into the porcini sour cream gravy and a small dish of roasted kohlrabi. the sox are on again tonight and think i need to figure out something equally easy or plan on eating really early...

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Oh, I don't know Michelle, you have things I have never heard of, and 2 cherry pitters, cookie molds, and so forth. I know I am bad, but some of my stuff is from the year of the flood! or inherited from my mom! And then there's that pot sticker mold, that was a big flop! LOL

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Michelle, you have the shopping addiction AND space to store it all? Lucky lady! I have the addiction but no room :( The cookies look fantastic!

I've come too late to comment on everything, but I am enjoying the pictures and descriptions! The dishes and the meals! All are really great!

Sent Larry out food shopping, armed with a list and hopefully I can come up with something good for dinner later on this afternoon. Right now I am just doing nothing. The windows are open, the day is gorgeous! Nice fall temps, cool and sunny! I'm ready for some comfort food! We had split pea with ham the other night. POOFed from the freezer. Now it's time to start cooking for the freezer again!

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Michelle, are you sure the shortbread rec will work with the cutters? I have the leaf cutters, and I want to try. Mix up a batch and let me know....only kidding!! I do want to try it though. I am not painting them though!!!
    Carol, hope dh comes home with what you want...or reservations!

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

Michelle..I am in awe and aaaaahhhhh of your fabulous cookies..

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Michelle, are you sure the shortbread rec will work with the cutters?

Yep, I'm sure the Shortbread recipe will work with cookie cutter. Why does every one doubt me here....ROTFL!!!!!!!!

I've made the shortbread recipe MANY times. Any dough that you roll out will work with cookie cutters.

I know the recipe says "Cut out shapes and prick with fork" just skip the prick with fork part which is just for a little decoration if you're using a plain round cookie cutter.

A sprinkle of course sugar would be pretty on leaf cookies. Sort of like a light frost.

My Aunt's Cream Cheese Cookie recipe would work too. Chill the dough and either put in a cookie press or roll out and use cookie cutters. These are my family's traditional Christmas Cookie and I make them every year....lots of them!

I have a Super Shooter, an electric cookie press which was discontinued years ago. You just pull the trigger and a cookie pops out. I love it and have 3 of them. You can still find them on Ebay and garage sales.

Michelle

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

I wasn't doubting you! I was seeking your expertise! Don't want to waste my butter. The shortbread recipe I make, you just roll into your hands, and then flatten..
    But I will try yours. And I am dipping one half of the cookie in choc. Or some with cinnamon sugar!
    I had one of those electric ones from years ago. When we moved I lost a piece. Then I bought a Wilton, and it split. I have one in the basement I still have to try..and then there's my mom's alum Ateco model, with a wood rack to hold all the diff designs. Very old!
    Go look on GB for the dishes I found...need your guess!!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I just made up a double batch of Pot Sticker filling...So I'll be clearing away my painting projects to have room to sit and make 'stickers'.

I think this time, I'll actually "hide" some in the freezer before cooking...

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Larry came home with bacon and some really nice beefsteak tomatoes! We had BLT's! and leftover Split Pea soup!

{{gwi:2070754}}

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Terri, you actually make pot stickers? If I ever find my pot sticker maker I will send it to you!
    Nice sandwich Carol! Had a relaxing day?? The dishes are so ugly you couldn't even guess???LOL
    I had a big piece of the roast pork left, so I made pork fried rice, and a rack of ribs, done in the oven.

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Kathleen, I am guessing the dishes were $8.99 and no they are not ugly!

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathleen: What Sauce did you use for the ribs ???
    LOU

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Kathleen, you have a press? Nah..I use my fingers..probably easier then to put in the press, fill, wet, and press..LOL..I just finished the first batch..took me almost an hour..batch number two is sitting on the table awaiting my return..
    I think I'll have some filling leftover..might mix in an egg or two depending on how much is really left over and then freeze in "meatballs"..to drop into a soup or something..

Put on a pot of Jasmine rice, and I'll stir fry some veggies.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Michelle, I have one of those old electric super cookie shooters also. I use it every year at Christmas. Love it!

Nancy

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Terri, it was so long ago that I used it I don't remember..obviously not a warm fuzzy memory, as I never made them again!
    Marigene, you are way off! And they are red, and you like red!
    Lou. I just mix ketchup, powdered mustard, pepper, hot sauce and duck sauce. I don't care for a smokey taste,so this has a little kick, but not smokey.

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

I haven't posted on WFD in a long time, but I have been reading, drooling, copying and pasting. And today I have something to share.

I have wanted to make the No Knead Bread for over eleven months now and finally did it today and took a few pictures. After reading a million posts about it and watching countless videos, I decided to do the most simple version , even though my week at bread camp would have enabled me to do a different one. This bread is mixed, given it's first long rise, folded and given it's second rise in one bowl - no floured board or towel here!

I used an oval bowl that was just a little smaller than the oval cast iron pot I baked it in. The mixing, folding and scraping into the preheated pan was done with a silicone spatula. I used a quarter cup of white whole wheat flour and the rest was AP flour, and I sprinkled a little semolina into the preheated pot and on top of the loaf.

The bread was moved to a maple board that was a gift from Ann T and behind it is a bread storage bag that was a gift from bread camp, it has a plastic liner and a velcro closer. I'm looking forward to trying the bread bag - you definitely cannot leave bread out unless it is well wrapped here.

The bread was good enough to BE dinner, but I thought I needed something else for Max, and since I spent the final two hour rise time looking at videos of No Knead Bread, I needed something quick and comforting for the cool, grey, drizzly day we had here. The rest of dinner was a favorite soup of ours, relatively healthy, nice and spicey and easy. Sausage, tomato, potato, chick pea and spinach soup.

I'm looking forward to toast for breakfast.

Lee

• san_
    16 years ago

congratulations, lee--it DOES look wonderful! and how WAS the toast??? perhaps you might want to post the recipe you used, please.