SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

DD's Vintage/Shabby room - mix white & wood or paint all?

Valerie Noronha
14 years ago

I bought another desk for DD's vintage/shabby bedroom and am now reassessing my vision for her room and next steps I need to take. First off, here is the new desk--the chair is a bit wonky so need to also decide what chair to use:

DH wants me to finish the room up, already, and DD has been pretty patient so far, but I know would like to have some working furniture--so I need to figure out a plan fast and desparately need some input. Original plan was to procure vintage furniture on CL and paint it all white for a collected, yet cohesive, brighter and more open feeling. I am revisiting that decision and am now considering mixing painted and stained furniture. In this scenario, the dresser and bookcase will be white and the desks and nightstands will stay mahogany. As the desks and nightstands are not in the best of shape they will need to be worked on either way--via a combination of Restore-A-Finish and refinishing (desktop).

As a recap, I am working with a very small room (10x10). Here is her furniture placement on all four walls going clockwise around the room:

I'm very happy with how her window wall turned out with her daybed and trundle centered below. The necessity to have clearance for the trundle has pretty much dictated where all the other furniture will go. While not ideal, it requires the placement of her desk next to her dresser. I've seen a few all white desks/chair combos. which somehow don't grab me--plus the fact it will be adjacent to the white dresser seems a lot of white.

Key decision here as either choice will involve significant work (thought painting obviously more) is do I paint the desk, chair and nighstands or restore them? By restore I mean use Restore-A-Finish everywhere, though most likely I will need to strip/refinish the desk top and possible one of the tops of the nighstands. There is a lovely inlay border on the desk top and in some places the varnish is worn completely away so I don't think Restore-A-Finish alone will be enough. Here are a couple of closeups of the desk that show the problem areas as well as the inlay top:

However, if I leave them stained do I loose that shabby chic/light/spacious/cohesive look? Certainly they still match in terms of the stype/period and the Hepplewhite pulls.

Also, for either choice what chair do I use?

Wonky matching chair:

Victorian chair (much sturdier, but I think this wood may be walnut):

I think my DH won't like it if I get yet another chair so best to work with what I have.

DD likes this fabric for the new seat cushion:

Lastly, to complicate this matter further, but before I put it finally to rest, here is her old desk that I was thinking to paint white and use vintage glass pulls:

It does however have a couple of places on the desk top where the wood separated and is a smaller/shallower desk.

These pulls:

Comments (23)