SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mabeldingeldine_gw

uses for sweet peppers

mabeldingeldine_gw
10 years ago

I had a fantastic year for sweet peppers in my garden this year. I still have a bit less than half a bushel remaining in my unheated barn. I've frozen quite a few, both roasted, sauteed and sliced, and have made stuffed peppers a couple of times, but I'd love some suggestions for more uses. Please share your favorite pepper recipes!

Comments (10)

• Lars
    10 years ago

I add roasted sweet peppers to my Habeneros when I make chili sauce so that it won't be so hot. They add a much better flavor than carrots. I put sweet peppers in a lot of dishes, including Migas, Cuban Black Beans, Spanish omelets, sweet corn, enchiladas, and I also add sliced fresh peppers to my sandwiches. If you make a sauce out of them, it is easy to add that to a lot of dishes. I do not have a recipe, but I simply roast the peppers (with hot chilies because I like hot sauce), sometimes with garlic, and then I remove the blackened skin, chop coarsely, and then put in a bowl with white Balsamic vinegar and salt and puree that with a stick blender. Then I force that mixture through a coarse sieve (or food mill) to remove the seeds and remaining skin and thin with more vinegar as needed. I add quite a bit of salt to it because I use it as a condiment, and I think the salt helps preserve it. If I want it sweeter, I add some sweet true Balsamic vinegar, but this changes the color. I never add sugar to it.

I go through a lot of sweet peppers but have not been growing them myself - perhaps I should!

Lars

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

I've had a similar bountiful pepper harvest :-)

-Along with the other things you mentioned, I like to dehydrate sweet peppers and use them in my homemade vegetable flake mixture which includes dehydrated sweet peppers, carrots, onions, peas, tomatoes, celery, green beans and parsley (or whatever I'm inspired to mix together). This mixture has a lot of uses including "instant" soup mixtures, dips and spreads, bean burgers, casseroles.....

-Place strips of sweet peppers (fresh or frozen) on the top of your next beef roast.

-The link below has a number of links to recipes (scroll a little over 1/2 down the article).

We had this recipe last Friday (vegetarian day). - Grainlady

PORTOBELLO BURGERS WITH BELL PEPPER AND GOAT CHEESE
    (source: Everyday Food - From the Kitchens of Martha Stewart Living - Fresh flavor Fast)

serves 4
    prep time - 30-minutes
    total time - 1-hr. (with marinating)

1/4 c. olive oil
    1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, quartered
    8 portobello mushrooms (about 1#) stems removed, caps wiped clean
    vegetable oil, for grill
    4 hamburger buns
    5 oz. goat cheese, cut into 4 equal slices
    Bibb lettuce, for serving

1. In shallow dish, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, garlic, 1 t. salt, and 1/4 t. pepper. Add bell pepper and mushrooms; toss to coat. Marinate at room temperature 30-minutes (or refrigerate, tightly covered, up to overnight).

2. Heat grill to medium; lightly oil grates. Grill bell pepper (uncovered), skin side down, until blackened, about 10-minutes; remove from grill. When cool enough to handle, rub off skins. Grill mushrooms, covered until lightly charred and tender, 3-4 minutes per side.

3. Layer each bun with bell pepper, 2 mushrooms, goat cheese, and lettuce. Serve immediately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bell Peppers

• Related Discussions

Using dried sweet peppers in canning

Q

Comments (1)
    If you re-constitute, do it in vinegar not water. Re-constituting in water would create issues with acidity. I am not sure how "sweet peppery" the dried flakes would be. Someone else may have an answer on that. Carol
    ...See More

Costa Rican Sweet Pepper

Q

Comments (5)
    Hey all, thanks for the info. I have been out of town and this is the first chance I got to GW in a week. My sister found one of these plants at a nursery in central Illinois. The store owner told her the peppers were delicious, but hadn't caught on yet in the USA. He gave her the plant for $1.00 as he couldn't sell it. I suspect people were afraid it would be hot. She has it planted at home and is looking forward to getting some peppers.
    ...See More

How to make confectionary pepper plants?

Q

Comments (8)
    Just for the record, I didn't do that picture up there. I don't own plates and silverware that nice for one. Just saw that pic where somebody else did it and went "I can do that...".
    ...See More

seed offer: Crunch Sweet Orange sweet pepper

Q

Comments (87)
    I was sick this season so I didn't get to keep the garden size I usually keep, but I do have a -very- limited amount of seed. I've already sourced over 1/2 of it locally. I have enough for 4-5 mailings of 4-5 seeds. I also have the spare postage from the earlier offer to send it out without a SASE. I'll hold 2 of these for ferret/bdan for a while. Email me at pepperdude@live.com and be sure to tell me your GardenWeb nickname along with it. I had issues with this past offer making other boards and getting a ton of requests from people who were only hording seed. It wasn't a big deal, but there's not enough to go around this time.
    ...See More
  • ValVal
    10 years ago

I had a nice boneless pork roast to cook a couple of weeks ago. I went out & picked a bowl full of sweet peppers & a few serranos, chopped them all up & threw them in the dutch oven with my seasoned roast. Used cumin, salt, ancho chile powder & black pepper on the roast along with a large chopped onion, several cloves of fresh garlic & a can of diced tomatoes. Cooked at 325 for about 2.5 hours & let it sit. That roast just fell apart & was great for burritos. Then last week I made a pot full of refried beans in the crockpot and threw in the last of my sweet peppers plus a few serranos. A whole chopped onion, lots of garlic & a little cumin, then let it cook several hours on high. Mashed with a hand masher, seasoned some more with salt & taco seasoning and life was good again.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great ideas! Thanks!

• craftyrn
    10 years ago

Are any of them red? This is one of the few relishes I have to make each year .

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Pickles, Relishes & ChowChows

Pa. Sweet Pepper Relish
    =======================
    12 large red peppers
    3 tablespoons pickling salt
    6 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
    2 large onions, chopped fine (about 2 cup)
    3 cups sugar
    1 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
    . Half, seed, and chop peppers. (You should have 9 cups.) Layer with
    salt in a large glass bowl. Allow to stand at room temperature,
    stirring several times, 3 hours. Drain peppers well to remove all
    liquid. (best to squeeze out moisture with your hands)

Combine drained peppers, tomatoes and onions in a large kettle ��"
    not aluminum.; stir in sugar and vinegar. Tie spices in
    cheesecloth and crack with a hammer. Add bag to kettle.

Bring to boiling, stirring often. Lower heat; simmer 30 to 90
    minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently near the
    end of cooking time to prevent scorching. Time will depend on
    juiciness of tomatoes but you want it nice and thick. Remove spice
    bag. Ladle into sterilized jars (1/2" head space) and process in
    hot water bath for 10 minutes. Makes 6 to 8 (8 oz.) jars.

posted by Ruthanna

Diane

• KatieC
    10 years ago

I had a pitiful pepper crop this year. Fortunately I had more than I knew what to do with last year. I can them with tomatoes for spaghetti, chili...whatever. Last year I made these marinated peppers, some with sweet Italian frying peppers and some Hungarian Wax. They turned out really good. We used them on sandwiches and in Mediterranean-ish dishes.

Marinated Peppers

Bell, Hungarian, Banana, or Jalapeno

4 lbs firm peppers*
    1 cup bottled lemon juice
    2 cups white vinegar (5 percent)
    1 tbsp oregano leaves
    1 cup olive or salad oil
    1/2 cup chopped onions
    2 cloves garlic, quartered (optional)
    2 tbsp prepared horseradish (optional)

Yield: About 9 half-pints.

* Note: It is possible to adjust the intensity of pickled jalapeno peppers by using all hot jalapeno peppers (hot style), or blending with sweet and mild peppers (medium or mild style).

For hot style: Use 4 lbs jalapeno peppers.

For medium style: Use 2 lbs jalapeno peppers and 2 lbs sweet and mild peppers.

For mild style: Use 1 lb jalapeno peppers and 3 lbs sweet and mild peppers.

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure:

Caution: Wear plastic or rubber gloves and do not touch your face while handling or cutting hot peppers. If you do not wear gloves, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face or eyes.

Select your favorite pepper. Peppers may be left whole. Large peppers may be quartered. Wash, slash two to four slits in each pepper, and blanch in boiling water or blister in order to peel tough-skinned hot peppers.

Peppers may be blistered using one of the following methods: Oven or broiler method: Place peppers in a hot oven (400úF) or broiler for 6-8 minutes or until skins blister. Range-top method: Cover hot burner, either gas or electric, with heavy wire mesh. Place peppers on burner for several minutes until skins blister.

Allow peppers to cool. Place in pan and cover with a damp cloth. This will make peeling the peppers easier. After several minutes of cooling, peel each pepper. Flatten whole peppers. Mix all remaining ingredients in a saucepan and heat to boiling. Place 1/4 garlic clove (optional) and 1/4 teaspoon salt in each half pint or 1/2 teaspoon per pint. Fill jars with peppers, add hot, well-mixed oil/pickling solution over peppers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.

Adjust lids and process according to the recommendations in Table 1.
    Table 1. Recommended process time for Marinated Peppers in a boiling-water canner. Half-pints and pints
    0- 1,000 ft - 15 min, 1,001 - 6,000 ft - 20 min., above 6,000 ft - 25 min

Here is a link that might be useful: marinated peppers

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

Jealous of that bounty!
    No mater the season, they just don't do well for me. I get a dozen hots and a dozen small sweets. I always try though.

A sofrito is good and freezes well. Sort of a roasted salsa.
    Cut in large chunks,
    A large onion
    4-6 red bell peppers, or mix of green and red, seeds removed
    a tomato or two quartered/ and or/ 6-8 tomatillos
    whole clove of garlic, top 1/5th sliced off

toss in a bowl with a bit of olive oil, salt/pepper
    in a single layer on parchment lined 1/2 sheet pan, roast for an hour or so at 325.
    cool, then blend in processor with a big bunch of cilantro with the tender stems or fresh basil leaves. Parsley would work also. Just needs something 'fresh' at the end grind.

Nice warm with beans or lentils, pasta, pork, steak, chicken, etc. or a cold salsa with chips and a soft cheese, goat or fetta salad w/ olives and cukes. Even could be added to a winter soup the last 1/2 hour of cooking for a fresh flavor.
    Usually has some dried spices but i wait and add later when a dish is decided.

I only have a scant 1/2 pint with peppers but dozens of others using the basic roast.

• ruthanna_gw
    10 years ago

You could make a big pot of Veal Cacciatore. Sautéed cubed veal, green and red sweet peppers, onions, quartered mushrooms, and minced garlic. When vegetables are softened, add tomato sauce, red wine, basil and rosemary and simmer gently, covered, until veal is tender.

Serve with pasta or on crusty rolls.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Fajitas & Swiss Steak.

We also like a salad of cut up tomatoes, sweet pepper chunks, a bit or onion or not, maybe cucumbers, black pepper, tarragon & a nice red wine vinaigrette. I like it best with just fresh tomatoes & bell peppers. You can eat immediately but I like to let it marinate for a few hours.

• HannahBananah
    10 years ago

When peppers are in season, we have fajitas almost weekly. I slice peppers and red onions, toss with olive oil and grill them on foil on my bbq grill. I grill some marinated chicken breast and cut up some avocado, add sour cream and cheese on flour tortillas -- heaven!

I also love Ina Garten's Orzo with Roasted Veggies. I could eat this weekly, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orzo with Roasted Vegetables

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!