SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nc_crn

seed offer: Crunch Sweet Orange sweet pepper

nc_crn
14 years ago

▓▓▒▒░░ THIS OFFER IS GOOD ONLY UNTIL FEB. 1st, 2010 and FOR U.S. RESIDENTS ONLY (sorry) ░░▒▒▓▓

This is a free seed offer for SASE (self-addressed-STAMPED-envelope...search for SASE at www.google.com if you need any more help with that). Email me at pepperdude@live.com and I will Email you back with an address to send your SASE to. The only info you need to give me in the Email that you send me is just a request for me to send you an Email on where to send your SASE. If you have any questions about the peppers ask them in this post rather than Email, please.

All seed requests will be held for a little while and mailed out in bursts every few days-to-week+ depending on volume. There will only be 4-8 seeds of each seed offered depending on demand. I want people to see if they like this, not to help anyone plant a bed of them. It is very easy to save your own seed if you like the pepper.

This offer will stop if the seed supply gets extremely low in order to allow the stragglers to get their SASE's in. If you requested seed early, but wait to too long to get your SASE in I can't help you too much...I only have a certain amount to give away and it's SASE's I care about, not requests. I don't want to keep track of who requested what...I get an envelope with a request, I put seeds in it, I mail it, end of transaction. Speaking of...I am not a business, nor will I sell your address to anyone, nor will I keep or record your address. I just put seeds in envelopes and mail them...very simple.

As far as any items you may want to "tip" me with (do NOT feel obligated by ANY means, seriously)...I would love any seed of low to medium heat non-jalapeno peppers with 3"+ pods or paste tomato seeds. A loose stamp thrown in for those people who send SASE's but "forget" the stamp on the SASE (it always happens) is nice, too. I'm currently and specifically looking for NuMex HERITAGE 6-4 (not the regular NuMex 6-4) seed as well as a very few (2-4 seeds) Diva cucumber seeds. Once again, do NOT feel obligated to tip anything. I am just leading those that may feel the need to tip in the right direction. My main goal is to get this seed out in the wild and see how people like it.

As long as tips are mentioned I guess I can offer up some Chimayo anaheim pepper seeds if you want to stretch your 2-stamps and 2-envelopes investment further. Note: These peppers are thin walled and VERY seedy. It is well beyond the level of seeds in the types of anaheims most of us are used to. It is a great low-medium heat drying/powder/etc. pepper, though. If you want some of these seed I can offer them on request and package them in the same SASE as the sweet pepper offer. Request this by written note included with your SASE, not in Email.

---------------------------------------------------------

This offer is for a sweet pepper I've been breeding a number of years (6th generation/5th generation offspring). There's nothing super-special about it. It's just good for what it is and honestly, there's not a lot out there this size with this quality of sweetness that you can grow from seed. I've selected out certain traits I like over the years and this is the end result (so far). For further explanation see the stuff below...

Crunch Sweet Orange pepper... The pepper is a cross between a plant grown from the seed of a medium-length/thin-walled orange frying pepper from Trader Joe's supermarket (female flower) and a friend's 3"-ish thick blocky/blunt-tipped "Romanian sweet pepper" (male pollen). Yes, I know that's a weird start for crossing material, but it's not like it required a lot of money or labor investment to do it. My only real expense was the garden space growing more peppers than I needed...especially in the first few selection generations where things were very variable.

General Qualities: very vigorous growth and fruit set, fruit 2.5"-3.5" long x 1"-1.5" wide, mostly two and three lobed fruits on the same plant, deep orange ripe color, dense/medium-thick walls (appx. 1/5"-1/4"), very small seed cap, very few seeds, noticeable sweetness, fruity (mild apple/citrus), no heat

Crunch Sweet Orange 2-Lobed Fruit

Crunch Sweet Orange 3-Lobed Fruit

Crunch Sweet Orange + Various Anaheim Peppers On A Cutting Board

I selected for many traits, but taste was #1. The "fruity" characteristic was weighed more than the sweetness, though it's still a very sweet pepper. The fruity taste isn't overbearing, but it adds an extra bit of character to the sweetness.

The motivation behind this whole thing is living in an area where specialty sweet peppers are very expensive and you pay $1-$2 for a ripe bell pepper in-season. I like using sweet peppers for cooking and salads (light use in both), but I don't really need a whole bell pepper most of the time. I end up using a single bell for 2-3+ dishes and hope I use it all before it loses it's quality. I wanted a smaller thick-ish walled small pepper who's flavor went beyond simply sweet (too many bells these days taste like pepper-flavored sugar water, imo).

I started playing with pepper breeding and at one time had 3 experiments going (I abandoned 1 after the 1st cross and 1 other only lasted 2 grow-outs before it was deemed a dead end because of lack of plant vigor).

The one I've stuck to the longest has had nice results on whole. It could use some work on the fruit lobe variability thing, but it seems to be very stable in taste and wall thickness. Those are the 2 main characteristics I am aiming for. 3-4" fruits would be nicer than 2.5-3.5" fruits, too. I'll leave it to whomever else wants to grow and keep growing this seed line to select their own lineage from here. This spring I'm reclaiming my garden and only 2 of these are going into my beds...it's really all I need.

Comments (87)

• buzz53
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yippie! The seeds arrived today! Thank you very much for making this seed offer. 8-)

• vic01
    14 years ago

nc-crn, I was going to let you know they still haven't arrived but may be delayed in the mail somewhere.

Jackie

• Related Discussions

Have: green, red, & orange bell pepper and sweet banana seeds

Q

Comments (1)
    I have mixed asters, violets(white w/blue throats), hardy geraniums (sanguinia- pink flowers) and scilla seeds. Would like to have some of your red, and orange pepper seeds. And would like to know about your Japanese red maples. Deb. DementedDeb1@aol.com
    ...See More

Crunch Sweet Orange (Revisited)

Q

Comments (8)
    Wow, these peppers look really nice. I love hot, but I also love sweet as well. They sound and look almost like an old heirloom Italian sweet pepper I grew many years ago which was passed down a family from Italy for generations before immigrating to the US in upperstate NY. I was fortunate to get a few seeds from a friend who knew this Italian family. The name of the pepper is unknown. The last seed I saved wasn't viable when I tried regrowing years ago. I've been looking for it ever since, but no success in finding a similar pepper. Your pepper looks very close and similar characteristics, only difference being mine had a slight tapered bottom and turned red when ripe. I'd love to try this pepper, for sure. Sending you email as requested.
    ...See More

Crunch Sweet Orange Accidental Cross?

Q

Comments (8)
    Hey, I'm the breeder of this pepper. I have never seen anything like the pepper on the right in my breeding lines when it comes to having heat along with the amount of seeds (the Crunch Sweet Orange is generally extremely low in seeds per pod). It may be an accidental cross...it probably is an accidental cross...but it may be a mutation, too. It's just something I've never seen and none of the parent genetics came from a hot pepper source. Also, I never stabilized pod variation on this pepper. Sweetness/fruitiness and many other qualities are very stable, but it's not uncommon to get 2-3-4 lobed peppers on the same plant. That said, high seed count is something I've not seen since early in the breeding line cycle and heat is something I've never seen. Thanks for sharing the pepper with others. Glad you enjoy it.
    ...See More

Crunch Sweet Orange Seed Offer

Q

Comments (24)
    rt, my seedlings are growing well. I'm also growing, for the first time, Ramiro Orange, which sounds like it might be similar. Looking forward to comparing the two side by side. Ramiro was sent to me by MarcV from Belgium.
    ...See More
  • nc_crn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is absolutely no problem to re-send seed to anyone who doesn't get their seed.

I've had to kick in stamps on a few people who sent insufficient or no postage on their SASE, but I've also received a small excess of stamps to cover for these "postal issues" too.

Vic01, if you haven't received your seed by middle of next week or so I can go ahead and send another round.

Also to everyone...thanks for making this very smooth so far and thanks to those sharing seed, too.

• vic01
    14 years ago

The seeds arived yesterday. Thank you very much. Jackie

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

I will email you.

Don (dem_pa)

• vermontkingdom
    14 years ago

an email is on its way. thanks for giving those of us who live in very cold cllimates (northern vermont) some hope for warmer days-

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Round 4" of mailings will go out either Fri/Sat for those who have gotten envelopes to me the past couple weeks.

• carsons_mimi
    14 years ago

I'm sending you an email re: seed offer. Thanks for the generosity.

• dusty314
    14 years ago

I received mine today! Thank you very much.

• jojox
    14 years ago

I got mine yesterday! Thank you so much and I'll let you know how they turn out.

• belly_burner
    14 years ago

I got my seeds today. Can't wait for January. I'd start them now but have no room to keep them in the house if they take off.
    Do they germinate easily?
    Thanks!

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's all fresh seed collected this summer/fall. They're no more tricky than most other pepper seeds.

I should be doing another round of mailings out soon. I got a lot of SASE's Fri/Sat/Mon.

• jolokster
    14 years ago

Just recieved my seeds.Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• tsheets
    14 years ago

I also received seeds earlier this week! Thank you! I'm really excited to grow them out!

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I sent out another batch of mailings. A huge stack of requests rolled in Wed/Thur/Fri so I stuffed and mailed those out yesterday (Friday).

There's still a decent amount of seed left, but I've definitely passed the 1/2 way mark and nearing 2/3rd the way through the supply.

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today. Thanks so much.

Don

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The next round of mailings will go out after the Xmas rush.

We have mailboxes here AT the postoffice that are over-flowing because of the late season volume. Also, I don't want these seeds laying around for days after the holiday in someone's mailbag in a 20-30 degree truck or whatever.

• steveb3
    14 years ago

I just got bit by the pepper bug and I would also like a few seeds as well, please send me your address and thanks in advance

• gardeningharpist17
    14 years ago

Hello! I was just wondering if bubble wrap is necessary to keep the seeds from getting crushed in transit. Thanks!

Laura

• vermontkingdom
    14 years ago

Dear NC,
    I received your seeds this week and thank you very much for sending both kinds. In Vermont, we often talk about real gardeners as having big hearts and obviously you represent that expression very well. You have provided seeds to many grateful gardeners and we are very appreciative.
    Merry Christmas and Happy Gardening--
    dave

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bubble wrap is not neccessary unless you want sure-thing protection. I package the seeds in a plastic bag then wrap the bag in a semi-thick layer of tissue. This method has worked for me for years without seed damage.

Also, I have 6 envelopes ready to go after the XMas holiday rush has ended. I didn't want to send anything out so close to pre-holiday because of the huge rush and volume of mail at my local post office.

• carsons_mimi
    14 years ago

NC,

I received my seeds this week. I can't wait to give them a try next spring. Thanks again for your generosity.

Lynn

• mrs.b_in_wy
    14 years ago

I received these today and am looking forward to warmer weather. Thanks very much.

• kathy645
    14 years ago

Thank you for the seeds I received today. I am looking forward to planting them this spring--well, maybe a little later here. I appreciate your generosity.
    Kathy

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's been a busy week/weekend.

Letters I've received from just after XMas until now will go out sometime this coming week.

• marcie_new
    14 years ago

Hope you still have seeds would love to have some Thanks Marcie_new

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

To everyone who's put an envelope in my mailbox since after Xmas:

Things will be slow going, but you should have your stuff before Feb. starts. I did stuff envelopes this week, but I only sent out 8 envelopes and I have another 15 or so sitting here waiting on me to fill this afternoon.

I'm just unusually busy. Part of the reason I'm ending the offer in Feb. is because I am going to be VERY busy in Feb/Mar.

The deadline is just for requests to my email inbox. If I receive an envelope after I give you a reply you *will* get your seeds even if I recieve your envelope in mid-Feb. or whatever.

• canadianchiliehead
    14 years ago

Hi, Are there any seeds left??? Let me know so I can send out soon :)

• canadianchiliehead
    14 years ago

Hi NC,
    Ignore my previous post. I just noticed that you are making these available to US residents only :(

Have a good one.

• genoprizebull
    14 years ago

I can't take it,I'd like to try these.E-mail sent

• danasplants
    14 years ago

Hi i think I made it in time maybe thanks Dana

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

▓▓▒▒░░ SEED OFFER IS OVER ░░▒▒▓▓

As of today (Jan. 22) I have received enough envelopes that push "critical mass" on the availability scale of seed.

I will stop answering email requests over the next day or 2 and start wrapping things up.

As of today I've sent out 92 (wow) mailings and I have another 8-10 sitting at my house. I imagine another dozen or so will be trickling in.

After all this I can honestly say there's a lot of people lurking that don't post. Also, everything went very very smooth.

**IF YOU HAVE NOT RECIEVED SEED BY MID-FEB. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME OR CONTACT ME ON THIS THREAD AND I WILL SEND YOU REPLACEMENT SEED AT NO ADDITIONAL COST/SASE/ETC.**

Thank you, everyone. Thanks a lot for the tips in stamps and the seeds I've received. It is/was a bit of work, but it was worth it. I hope everyone has great luck this spring.

• cheeze2002
    14 years ago

Hi, I am new to this forum just trying to find new peppers, you can look at my page and tell me if I have any you would like but I dont have many types yet but I have plenty of seeds in the few types I do have.

I see you said reply to this post not email so email me back when you see this if you would and i will send you sase and w/e seeds u what right away.

Thanks for your time hope to hear from you soon.

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cheeze,

I have ended the seed offer as of 4 days ago, but if you give me another week+ to figure out my final seed situation vs. requests I might be able to send you some. It's a supply issue at this point more than a time-limit thing.

After a week+ email me at the addy up there and tell me you're "cheeze from gardenweb" (or whatever) and see if I have any to send.

Sorry, but I can only send what I have.

• belly_burner
    14 years ago

Just to let you know my 5 CSO seeds germinated and are between 1 to 2" tall. They came up quick, they were planted 2/21.
    Thanks!
    Erl

• jeffinok
    13 years ago

picked my first orange crunch today!! very tasty pepper !!
    thanks for your hard work making these available to us .
    im gonna save seeds from them to see what kind i get next year . thanks again!!

• tsheets
    13 years ago

Yes!! My garden hasn't really done much this year yet, but, the GF's garden is moving right along and she had one ripe one the other day. It was a great really sweet pepper!

I'm hoping to get a branch bagged up soon to save seeds for future years.

Thanks for sharing the seeds!!

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

I'm sorry I missed out on this offer (didn't join forum soon enough).

I think it would be appreciated if a few of the people who received free seeds would come and tell us how the peppers are and how the plants grew. (thank you to the people who already did)

I suspect that this would be a good pepper to add to the collection. Congratulations NC-CM for breeding a winner of a new pepper.

• ferretbee
    13 years ago

I started 3 plants and they're doing very good. One is a new raised bed square foot garden and the other 2 are in small DIY SWCs. The plants in the SWCs are doing better than the in ground plant. We've gotten several ripe peppers and they are just as advertised. They seem similar to the 'Yummy' peppers I'm also growing, but the fruit and plants are larger and more productive. I really need to get these 2 caged before the upper fruits get heavy:
    {{gwi:1241144}}

• jojox
    13 years ago

Hello,
    I grew 4 of these plants this year and 3 were fantastic! The one side of my garden, though, didn't do so well so I was only 3/4. The peppers have great flavor, are a perfect size, and I had a very large harvest.

Unfortunately I didn't keep any of the blooms isolated so I don't have any pure seed to continue for next year.

• kentishman
    13 years ago

I've just found this thread. These peppers sound great. Has anyone saved some seeds they can share? Either add a post here or email me at tom@ncees.org. Thanks, Tom

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

I failed to germinate any (UGH) but if I have any seeds left, I'll try again next season, and share OP seeds.

• ferretbee
    12 years ago

I wasn't careful enough saving seed either and this year's crop was crossed with a hot pepper. I hope someone has some, I really missed it this year.

I have some Bhut Jolokia seed from NMSU and some other hot peppers to swap.

• BigDan1
    12 years ago

I didn't notice this thread was AGED (Sorry Pepperdude).
    I too was looking for something a little milder to plant next year.
    If anyone has any seeds let me know I can send some Bhut/Carribean Red Habanero in exchange.

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was sick this season so I didn't get to keep the garden size I usually keep, but I do have a -very- limited amount of seed. I've already sourced over 1/2 of it locally.

I have enough for 4-5 mailings of 4-5 seeds. I also have the spare postage from the earlier offer to send it out without a SASE.

I'll hold 2 of these for ferret/bdan for a while. Email me at pepperdude@live.com and be sure to tell me your GardenWeb nickname along with it. I had issues with this past offer making other boards and getting a ton of requests from people who were only hording seed. It wasn't a big deal, but there's not enough to go around this time.

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

***Out of spare seed for 2011***

I'm still holding a packet for fbee for a little while, but the extra seed outside of that is gone.

• orgogal
    12 years ago

Hello - this sounds like a keeper. If anyone has seeds of this pepper to trade - please let me know! Thank you!
    Best
    Kathy, orgogal

• kentishman
    8 years ago

I harvested my first pod this weekend. It was a great tasting pepper. Thanks nc-crn for all your effort developing it and sharing seed.

• tbonesny
    7 years ago

I also harvest my first CSO this year and have to agree, very tasty pepper. this is an amazing forum with very generous members.

• kentishman
    7 years ago

Since I liked the CSO I grew last year, I got more serious this year. I have three plants growing in the middle of the five containers in the picture. The plants are as tall as the Poblanos in the second container from the left, and they are producing a steady supply of pods. This is a great little pepper.

Sponsored