SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Help, Please, with Great Room Design (Longish w/ pix)

drjoann
14 years ago

Longtime lurker, first time poster, here. I posted some of this over in the "Building a Home" forum, but much of what I need help with has more to do with design, so I would love to have some help. This is our "forever" home and the style is derived from the Shingle Style (think much smaller version of a Hamptons house).

We're building a new home in the Greenville, SC area. We've finally selected a builder, so its time to get the last details of the plan worked out & I need some help with the great room. We did decide to flank the fireplace with built-ins. [This had been an issue I previously asked for opinions on from the other forum.] One of them will conceal a flat screen TV on an articulated mount.

The ceiling is at 10' with simple, low coffering. The quad French doors lead out to a deck. The barrel arch leads to the everyday living wing of the house (kitchen, breakfast nook, keeping room, etc.). The opening at the lower part of the plan is a cross hallway to the bedroom wing in one direction and the stairs to the lower level in the other. The foyer intersects the hallway not quite centered on the great room.

We needed help/advice/opinions on a few things:

1.) If we do a quad French door with 3' sections, I'm not sure there will be enough room to pull back drapes and not interfere with the built-in? The view is out to our woods, so I don't want to permanently cover the French doors, but there are neighbors who might be able to see in when trees have dropped their leaves, so we'd like some window covering for privacy. I'm not up on the latest in window treatments, but would like something "fresher" than pinch pleats on traverse rods. Any ideas????

2.) The plan calls for 8' doors, but we really like the look of regular doors with a transom above. The dining room which is just off the foyer will have 8' French doors onto a terrace. Opinions on which way to do the great room doors?

3.) The 18' opening obviously needs a header so the ceiling can be coffered. We just don't know how to treat that opening. Here are some picture from our builder's website that we think might work. Our trim won't be neoclassical but more like Shaker and the French doors are on the plan as a quad. Again, advice & suggestions are most welcome (& really needed):

Thanks for the help.

Jo Ann

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer