ornament ideas with postage stamps

ArtsyCraftsy

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has a real "thing" for pretty postage stamps, lol! I always tear or cut the stamps off all my cards & letters and save them.

Here are two cute ornaments I received this Christmas. On the left is a lovely stamp from my friend Barbara. She & her DH run an aviation art gallery in historic Gettysburg. It is framed very elegantly in a tiny matboard frame. The stamp is mounted to another piece of tan matboard. I just love this gray matboard!! Look closely at it and you can see it looks (and feels) just like velvety suede. I must get some for myself!!

The cool ornament on the right is a canceled stamp mounted on shrink plastic which I received in a shrink ornament swap. Denise covered the shrink with some layers of glittery embossing powder. You could easily use a light cardboard if you had no shrink plastic. I love the wire hanger and little tag embellishment!

I think either of these would look wonderful with the romantic postage stamps for a Valentine's card embellishment or ornament.

Here is a link that might be useful:

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Alice_sj

I love these ideas! In fact, I have recently been saving my cancelled stamps for projects. I now have a great idea for an ornament my Father would really like. Thank you so much for sharing!

Save    
Lia_SC

You're NOT the only one! I've always been ga-ga over any thing postal --stamps, cancellations, envelopes, etc. Last p.m. I had fun making faux postage.

Your ornaments are very elegant! The tiny frame is so cute!! With a boat or something like it, would be nice on a man's card. You might be able to make that kind of suede look with Liquid Applique...? (How much would a frame shop charge to cut an itsy-bitsy one like that? --from their scraps, no less!)

Save    
Gramof3

Karen, hate to sound like "shrink plastic for Dummies" but, would you put the stamp on after you shrunk the embossed thing so as not to compromise the stamp? I love the look. I'm always on the look out for something to use for the guys cards; plenty of fru-fru stuff out there for us!

Save    
minnie_tx

Those are great and your photos are so nice and clear too.

Save    
ArtsyCraftsy

Lia- I am sure Barb probably cut that tiny mat since she does a lot of framing for their gallery. It would be harder to cut such a small mat cause there is no room to hide your mistakes and it is so hard to work with such a small piece of scrap board. I just hated cutting mats in art school, but we had to mat most of our projects before turning them in. I never did get the hang of a bevel cutter so I just cut squared mats.
Cutting a mat:
Mark your frame opening on the back side in pencil. Then take a nice sharp needle and poke a hole in each corner from the back to the front. Flip the mat over & cut on the front side using the pinholes to show you where to start & end your cuts. The pinholes also "clear out" your corners so you do not have a tuft of uncut fibers from trying to line 2 right angle cuts up to each other. Have a fresh blade in the knife and use a metal straightedge. Put your item on a scrap of smooth matboard or a good cutting surface. Put the tip of the knife in the hole, line up the straightedge so it presses against the knife and touches the next hole, and cut firmly with the blade at a straight 90 degree angle. If you need to run a second cut to get thru the board, hold the straightedge firmly & be careful not to let the cut stray away from your first cut. If you need 3 cuts to get all the way thru then you probably need a fresh blade.
Gram- shrink first, then added some embossing powder, unless the powder is clear. If it is clear, you can glue down the stamp, then put the clear EP over the stamp which will seal it. Looks to me like she either used a template or decorative scissors to create the nice edges.
I know just what you all mean...it is very hard to find fresh ideas for men's cards!

Save    
lorraine303

What great ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Save    
suram

I am sooooo glad to hear that I don't have an abnormal obsession with postage stamps!! I too cut them off the mail I get and save them. Not sure for what exactly, but I really like these ornaments! Thank you!

Save    
meggiecat

I'm crazy for stamps too! I saw some pins that were framed stamps and the artist used mica as the "glass" in the frame. The diffusion and sparkle really did enhace the stamp.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Urban Gardens Postage Stamp Garden Delivers in Boston
A designer conquers an urban challenge with a private, green, modern space that honors New England tradition
Full Story
Holidays 20 Whimsical Ornaments for Everyone on Your List
Ideas for holiday gifts — or your own decor — that have a dash of personality
Full Story
Most Popular Holiday DIY: 25 Ideas for Make-Your-Own Decor and Gifts
We show you how to create cute and clever Christmas and Hanukkah gifts, ornaments, wreaths and more
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More