SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Question: Do You Add Extra Postage For All Non- Standard Envelop

lynninnewmexico
12 years ago

This is both a warning . . . and a question, actually.

I've just received DD's graduation announcements in the mail the other day, 50 custom-designed 5 1/4" x 5 1/4" square cards from a card company . . . and they arrived with a note saying, "These require extra postage". I just got back from our village post office to ask about it and the postmistress told me that each card will cost $.65 ($.20 more per envelope) to mail, just because they are not the standard rectangular, letter shape! And, she told me that this extra charge has been in effect for over ten years now! Good grief, I was thinking that it was something just implemented with this latest postage increase last week! I wonder if the USPS higher-ups are pushing all postal employees to start implementing this in order to increase even more revenue?

The reason she gave me for the extra charge is that the machines in the post offices that automatically cancel and sort all the mail, can mangle a non-rectangular, standard envelope and so they must be pulled out and hand-cancelled and sorted. Really???

Have you been adding an extra twenty-cent stamp to any birthday card, wedding invitation, etc these last 10 years? Lately?

Have you ever gotten a piece of mail back for extra postage because it was a square or a greeting card (I'm not talking those big over-size cards, just a regular birthday card size)?

I had no idea there was an extra charge and have never added extra postage to a simple birthday card . . . and have never gotten one back requiring extra postage either. Heck, I just sent out 75 Christmas cards in early-December and had no problems using only a $.44-stamp!

I don't know what to think at the moment, but am considering sending them out with just a forever stamp on each. If any come back, I'll add the extra postage.

What do you think?

Do you know anybody who works for the USPS that can tell us if they're now starting to (seriously)force people to pay more for mailing cards (versus standard letter envelopes)? The greeting card companies will take a big hit with that one, I think!

Thanks!

Lynn

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations