SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cliff_and_joann

Chelone, I think I'm going crazy~?!~

cliff_and_joann
16 years ago

I thought i saw a post by you asking if anyone has done pickling? Please tell me I did!

We put up tongue and groove cedar in our den in 1977, when we put in the big box window in three years ago, I said to the head carpenter around here that i wanted to take down the cedar. He said, over my dead body...So, we pickled them.

Using a beige water base paint (egg shell) we watered it down a lot. Soak a rag in the paint squeeze it out and wash down the walls. There were areas that came to heavy, so I took a clean rag soaked it in warm water, wrung it out and wash some of the heavy paint out.

The good part about using water base paint is you can wash out all your mistakes, you can even take it back down to the raw wood again by washing it off with warm water.

We did not put any other finish on the walls.

Around the new window I just painted it with the full strength beige paint.

The molding around the windows and the trim around the windows is poplar...Poplar pickles beautifully, you get to see a little of the grain under the paint. I did put a finish over the poplar, I think I just applied a coat of

semi gloss varnish with a rag. It has a soft luster. The ceiling trim is cedar as well, first I painted it white and didn't like it because it was too stark, so I went over it with the beige wash and it blends much better.

Here are some photos, it was hard shooting the window shots with the light coming in...

Here is the true color on the opposite wall from the windows.

The ceiling molding looked much better pickled the same color rather than painted stark white.

Comments (2)