SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geokid_gw

Converting sink to shower x-post with bath forum

geokid
11 years ago

I posted this in the bath forum, but this is also a design forum so you might be able to help me. Below is what I posted in the baths forum. TIA.

I know this is not technically a bathroom, but it involves bath plumbing so I think you guys can help me.

Our laundry room is dysfunctional and I want to make it more functional. I want to utilize the space better as well as add a spot to rinse off messy kids/dog/spouse/self after being outside. We live on a dirt road in the country and it's easy to get messy outside. The laundry is right next to the garage entry door which we use all the time. This entry is not near a bathroom.

Here is a scale layout of the room currently.

This is what I would like to do.

The current 24" sink would be converted to a 34"x30" small shower/tub like in this picture. The shower can be converted to counter by sliding out the extra countertop (hard to see in picture). Since my W/D will be stacked, I'd add a flip-up counter to achieve the same result.

Traditional Laundry Room design by Burlington Architect Smith & Vansant Architects PC

And for reference, the wall doors to master closet will be something like this.

Now to the bath question. How do I go about converting the sink to a "shower"? What does it involve? DH is handy with carpentry but we would have to hire a plumber for this and I would like to have a handle on what the project would involve before I talk to a plumber.

Forgot to mention: the area under this room is the mechanical room and the ceiling and walls are completely open there. Reaching the plumbing will be easy. And on the other side of the proposed shower wall is the master bath shower.

Thank you!

This post was edited by geokid on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 14:17

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH