SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

?Pocket Door for Bathroom? x-post on the remodel forum.

enduring
11 years ago

Help me determine if I can put a 2 pocket doors in the bathroom. I have 2 questions.

1) The first one is, I want excellent hardware for the doors. What is recommended? These will be doors that will be in a bathroom and carry wooden doors. I want to protect the finish from injury, as it slides back and forth over the coming years. I had planned on getting cherry doors with lumber core and mdf panels.

2) Second question is about the walls that will hold the door. One is in a non load baring wall and is drawn as a 2x4. The other one, on the left of the image, will be behind the shower wall. I had planned to tile this wall, so It will be sheathed in cement board, connected to the studs. But as I think about it there will be no studs because the cavity that is formed. There wont be electrical or plumbing in this wall. This wall may be a load baring wall as it was an exterior wall until the 70's when an addition was added. From the basement side of this wall, it looks like it sits on the original basement exterior wall.

Can I put a pocket door here?

I did a search on google about pocket door hardware and there was a GW post from fall 2012 where Brickeeye stated that there might be a problem "If you go up to a 'wet wall' (2x6) thickness things are MUCH better".

I have my wall drawn as a 2x4 currently, but I can make it a 2x6. Of note, this is an old exterior wall that is clad in diagional boards along the hall side of the bathroom. I have taken the lathe and plaster off of the bathroom side. The clad side is in the hall and is covered in drywall.

Here is my drawing with the 2x4 stud wall:

Here is a link that might be useful: post from sept 2012 about johnson pocket door hardware.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022