SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nativeplanter_gw

Window rehab - a couple questions

nativeplanter
10 years ago

We have been very, very slowly trying to rehab a double-hung window in our 1922 house. Hoping that we can get the hang of it so we can tackle other windows. In addition to needing the weights re-hung, there are so many coats of paint that sashes really stick or often won't budge. In addition, the last coat put up by the seller 5 years ago was likely done without prepwork so it's peeling off on some of the windows/trim.

So we started, on just one window with badly peeling paint, by stripping paint on the trim, removing the stops and lower sash, removing the interlocking weather stripping (which was nailed in such that it had to come out to remove the sash), removing the parting beads, and getting the weight pockets open. We sent the sash out to be dip stripped (to help speed things up).

So we got distracted a couple times along the way. Now it's winter, and we're trying to get the sash back in (we're in southeast Virginia, so it's not as cold as up north, but still I'd like more than just the storm window in). We've bought new parting bead and stop trim (the stop trim will need to be ripped down on the table saw to the right depth to match).

Hoping to reglaze on Saturday and rehang on Sunday (carefully, so as to not muck up the glazing while it hardens). I know that the glazing needs to firm up before we can paint, so I figured that we'd hang it, then paint in the spring. But now I'm left wondering about whether one is supposed to paint the side edge of the sash. Not the perpendicular side, I've got it figured out that it should be left unpainted, but I mean the very edge of the face where it rubs against the parting bead and the stop. Not such a critical issue inside if it's unpainted, but what about the outside? Won't rain get to it? I suppose if need be, we can reinstall then take it out again in the spring to repaint it, but I'd rather paint in place if it is a non-issue.

The other question involves rehanging the weights. The pocket doors are such that the parting bead overlaps them a little. How on earth does one tie on the weights and close the pocket door before reinstalling the parting bead without using six pairs of hands?

Thanks for any advice. I've poured through a lot of window repair threads on the forum, but haven't seen anything that addresses these particular issues. The learning curve has been pretty steep - it's taken us 6 months on this one window. Hopefully once we finish the first one, the others won't seem quite so intimidating.

Comments (19)