SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
binsb

Surprising Discoveries About Your Old House????

binsb
19 years ago

Whether an "eek", "OMG" or "wow" and "cool"?

Our community is in a resurgence but it was still a shock to discover some things about our house & the former tenants.

Two weeks before our house was put up for sale, the tenants had an altercation and a shooting took place on the side of our house (bullet scar still there). After pressure from the neighbors, the owners decided to sell rather than try to find new tenants. That's when we snatched up this house.

A little less than a year later, our handyman commented, "Cool...so your garage used to be a grow room!" What the heck is that I wondered? Turns out our garage was used to grow marijuana! That explained the vinyl flooring, super duper ventilation system, various hi-power electrical gee-gaws, false wall & super secure door.

Then...a few weeks later, we find out from a neighbor's handyman (reformed drug addict) that he used to buy crack at our house! THAT was a shock. This neighborhood in no way looks remotely like it supports crack houses. When he saw my consternation, he said reassuringly, "Oh! Don't worry - that was like 10 yrs ago."

We've had a few police officers over to help my DH (lift & assist after a fall - he has MS) and many of them have commented, "So glad you guys are here now. We used to have so many problems with the tenants in this house."

Thank goodness that in the year we've been here, no one's coming a-knockin' for illegal substances! :D

Comments (30)