SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
housekeeping_gw

Gutter Q: How strong is too strong?

housekeeping
18 years ago

Ok, so here's the story: Today, I'm up on my ladder which is sort of spiked into the sloping and icy first story porch roof installing new gutters on the second story fascia board on a 20F degree day in a thirty knot wind ..... (hey, it beats a dark and stormy night). And as I am intalling the last couple of umpteen brackets I start to think maybe I've made a serious mistake. Not, not that I shoulda done this is October; that's obvious. No, what I'm worrying about tonight is whether I've installed the brackets too well, and if we have a catastrophic failure it won't just be gutter crumpled on the ground, but fascia board and trim ....?

I live in northern NY, so I have significant snow slide issues, 9:12 roof pitch, Greek Revival, two-story slate roofed building facing south. This whole thing started with me finally getting the gumption to tear down the one-story full-facade porch. But first I had to change the gutters as they sloped towards the middle, right over the central door. (Have no clue why, but there it is). They were only in middling condition so it seemed like a good idea to replace them with new half-round. Fine so far: measured, calculated, bought, put together, consulted internet for info on pitch, support interval, etc,.

The new brackets (not nice like my old cast iron ones) have six screws apiece, and I selected nice beefy screws. Old gutter was supported every 36", or so, but that was sagging. Eighteen inches was frequently recommended for my area due to ice loads, but I decided on 24", sort of, as I wanted to make it eye sweet. Fascia board is 5/4 thick, and a generous, country, 160-year old, 5/4 at that. It's in fine condition, and well attached.

Anyhoo, I've installed all six screws in each bracket, but now I'm thinking it should have been a weaker joint so the gutter could tear away, and not take the whole mess down.

What do you think?

Molly~

Comments (2)