SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

Help with kitchen colors (pic heavy)

mary_lu_gw
12 years ago

We really need to paint our kitchen and laundry room this summer. My problem? I am torn between leaving the wainscot the color it is and only changing the wall and ceiling colors or going all out and changing the wainscot, woodwork and built in laundry room cupboard color too.

background:

The kitchen is on the north side with only 1 window, so somewhat dark. Current flooring is old pine plank. Current colors are wainscot=dark barn reddish color, walls=light tan/beige, ceiling darkish green. All other woodwork in house is a warm cream color.

Part of me would like to paint the wainscot the warm cream like the rest of the woodwork in house and perhaps a pale yellow for the walls. But as you can see from the pictures below, that would be a lot as the reddish color is carried into the adjacent laundry mud room as well.

In the picture below, the free standing cupboard is painted the same color as woodwork in rest of house.

kitchen

laundry room

So as you can see from the above pictures, if I change the trim color, it will be a major undertaking and not one that I would want to redo!

So...should I just paint and leave it basically the same colors(easier) or change it all?(much more work and uncertain outcome)

Comments (19)