SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buddy1114

Our 1910 Colinial Revival Mansion restored

15 years ago

We bought our circa 1910 Colonial Revival Mansion in Knoxville, TN in 1998 and it was in really bad shape. It was the third "Big House" built on the land purchased by the Sterchi Family in 1845. Locally known as the "Sterchi Mansion" the Sterchi's named it "Stratford Hall". It was their main house for the 1500 plus acre estate. They also owned the Sterchi Brothers Furniture stores all over the south east and headquartered in a 22 story building still in extant in downtown Knoxville, TN. We are the third owners and when we purchased the house it needed EVERYTHING done to it. My wife and I have restored many old houses (she says it is a sickness!) so there was nothing that needed to be done that we had not done before, it was just the sheer volume of what it needed that was so overwhelming. Anyway, after 11 years of nearly constant work and a whole lot of money, it is pretty well restored to its original state. It is truly a masterpiece of design and construction. The material used in the construction cannot be duplicated today. The main floor has cherry wood trim and 2 sets cherry pocket doors that work perfectly. The library has a beautiful mahogany fireplace surround. We remodeled the kitchen and breakfast room from a very small kitchen, a hallway and a butlers pantry. The original pedestal tub and commode were relocated to their proper location in the main 2nd floor bathroom and most everything else we tried to repair and put back like it would have been in 1910. We did add 2 heat pumps for cooling and light heating. We use the original steam radiators when it gets real cold, although we are planning to upgrade to a more efficient furnace asap. There was a walk up attic of about 1200 sq. ft. and we turned it into a home theater/hang out for our 18 year old son. I will post some before and after pictures. (All of my before pics taken before 2001 are not digital and will have to be scanned) It has been a real adventure and definitely worth the effort. We applied last week to have the house recorded on the National Historic Register. We are just beginning to restore the Carriage house!?!?!?!?.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (52)