SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

Foodsaver 101 - help me please

loves2cook4six
13 years ago

I've had my foodsaver now for a few years and I am tired of wasting bags.

The principle of the vacuum packer is great but in practice I find mine underwhelming.

Today I plan on doing my once a month cook. Of course this requires freezing and I always use my FS.

I want to love my FS, really I do. Right now it only works for me with pre-frozen food that is double bagged.

My normal routine is to make everything in 1 Gallon Ziplock Freezer bags, squeeze out all the air, freeze them, then vacuum pack the frozen food. DH is having heart palpitations at all the gallon bags being wasted.

So how do you vacuum seal chicken in marinade? Or soup? Or any other WET foods. It seems to me that if I get ANYTHING in the seal area the bags don't seal properly, even a grain of sugar or a drop of water

I looked on youtube and most of the videos show vacuum sealing fresh food or leftovers. There doesn't seem to be any pre-freezing. If I try that, they end up looking like astronaut food.

If I try sealing wet foods, the liquid is sucked out the bag and then the bag won't seal. Even happens with fresh chicken breasts.

Comments (78)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!