SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelellen_gw

Freezing questions...

rachelellen
13 years ago

My husband and I went to a "big city" this weekend (well, bigger than our town, anyway) where there is a large Asian population...SO, I got to shop in a store that reminded me of my old days, living near Oakland Chinatown, a real treat for me as I was able to stock up on ingredients difficult or impossible to get around here.

One absolute favorite is Chinese Roast Duck. I have actually had dreams about it lately, I miss it so much. Yeah, there are recipes, but they actually start with a different species of duck than is routinely available, and it's a fairly complicated process anyway.

Has anybody tried freezing this? I would love to be able to buy 2 or 3 next time to have on hand when I get the craving. Some cooked meats freeze better than others though, and I'd hate to spend $14 on one and ruin it.

Another item is Gobo root...burdock...it has a wonderfully earthy flavor, with a texture I'd best describe as being like a woody sort of carrot. I'm pretty sure I've seen it sold frozen, but wonder how the quality is. I don't usually care for frozen carrots, as they seem mushy to me.

I bought a package of fresh chow fun noodles, the wide, flat rice noodles eaten pan fried with meats & vegetables or in soup, and I would have bought several if I knew I could freeze them successfully.

Char Siu...Chinese bbq pork is another thing that I can make at home, but generally just buy if I have a chance...never tried to freeze it, though.

And, coming from way another direction, has anyone tried freezing refried beans? Does it work? How about tamales?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH