SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vjrnts

Pivot Doors

vjrnts
10 years ago

Our house originally had a swinging (pivot) door between the kitchen and the dining room. A previous owner took it out and replaced it with a cheap folding louvered door. I kind of understand the impulse, because I can see the swinging door being kind of in the way, but I still want to put it back. Sadly, the original door apparently ended up on the curb, because we haven't found it in the stack of other interior doors in the basement.

At a local salvage place we have located a swinging door (with an oval window, which makes me swoon!) that looks like it would go with our interior very nicely, once I get the paint stripped. The measurements on its tag say 29.5 in X 82.5 in. Our door opening is 30 in X 84 in. I don't know what kind of vertical clearance a swinging door needs for the pivot hinge assembly, which attaches to the top face and bottom face, nor the horizontal clearance it needs to swing properly. (The edge is already rounded.) Would this door look comically short in this opening? I'm assuming that the pivot assembly will hold the door up off the floor by some amount, but other than that I'm clueless. The door is a "steal," real nice solid wood with that fantastic window. I hope someone knowledgeable about there can give me some good news. Can this door work?

Comments (14)