SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

heavy cream substitute

3katz4me
13 years ago

In this recipe does it seem reasonable to think I could substitute evaporated skim milk for the heavy cream? I realize some people think it would be unacceptable but keep in mind that I just don't cook something if it includes a lot of cream. In fact I don't even use whole milk. I'm a skim milk gal and I'm used to eating light vs. rich food. So any reason this substitution wouldn't work?

Rosemary Pork Tenderloin with Harvest Apples

Preparation Time: 15 minutes minutes

Cooking Time: 40 minutes minutes

Yield: Makes 6 servings

2 pounds (about 5) Fuji or other sweet-tart apples, peeled and each cut into 8 wedges

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 (1 1/2-pound) pork tenderloin

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 small onion, thinly sliced

1/2 cup white wine or apple juice

1 cup heavy cream

3 tablespoons Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves

1. Preheat oven to 400�.

2. Toss apples with butter and lemon juice in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish or shallow ovenproof Dutch oven. Bake at 400� for 20 to 25 minutes. Season tenderloin with salt and pepper; brown in hot oil over medium-high heat in a heavy-bottom skillet 7 minutes. Remove apples from oven; place tenderloin in center of baking dish. Set aside.

3. Cook onion in skillet 5 minutes. Turn heat to high, and add wine; cook about 2 minutes, scraping bottom of skillet. Stir in cream, mustard, and rosemary.

4. Pour cream mixture over tenderloin, and bake at 350�, basting occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 155�. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes. (The pork will continue to cook.) Slice into 1/2- to 3/4-inch slices, and serve with apples and mustard cream sauce.

MyRecipes, SEPTEMBER 2004

Comments (25)