SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_li

What's for Dinner # 282

kathleen_li
15 years ago

Something for fall...oven baked pork chops with baked apple slices, roasted potatoes and butternut squash..

Annie the ravioli look good! I would like to try that...

Comments (53)

• sooz
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kathleen, your photos are always stunning! I love the Fall theme!

We had a Trader Joe meal--chicken tamales with melted cheddar, jack and salsa -- corn and peas also from TJs.

Brownies had melted TJ chocolate chips on top as "frosting" with TJ's cream whipped to a frenzy! :O)

{{gwi:2068016}}

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Shelley, Trixie and Sooz....that Brownie is calling me..
    Indi, thanks for bumping...and please jump in anytime! I have had eggs for dinner many times!!

Tonight I made something I have never made....I have had a recipe for a long time and inspired by Stacy and Chase gave it a try. It was tasty, but not my kind of thing, and I am Irish....I know it is on the menu in many Irish restaurants...
    Shephard's Pie... I used my new mini pumpkin cake pan for the biscuits...the cakes pick up the details much better...

• Related Discussions

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #398 Nov 2021

Q

Comments (100)
    Mmm cheese sauce and gnocchi sounds good to me Walnut creek. Jasdip, your salad and drumstick followed by your caponata look delicious. I did look up the difference between caponata and ratatouille and it seems caponata has the addtion of olives perhaps capers... did you add these to yours? We had a few cool days and while I‘m not in a real cooking frame of mind at the moment... I did cook up Fish and six veg. I had some red sauce left over from the pizza so I made a sort of patatas brava with potatoes and sweet potatoes
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner 406 Summer 2023

Q

Comments (103)
    Wow, 4 years. Such a cute age. And a cute cake. We have 5 under 5 with another on the way via 3 nephews. I meant 'passive' haha. Meaning, "you do your thing vegetables. I have no time to babysit." Next day it had a lasagna vibe with the top layer of the pasta. I usually make a harvest lasagna every early Fall...right around the corner. Another pic of the shrimp salad lettuce cups fell from the clouds, A couple weeks ago i sous vide four small sirloins. An easy taco pulling two out of the freezer and thawing with a dry brine, then a cast iron sear. Tossed in kimchi. Next day made a sirloin Banh mi for DH. I had a sirloin salad bowl. Side bean/corn salad About to hit the end of the Summer thread...bummer.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner?

Q

Comments (55)
    Dinner last night was a first -- I made a pot of chicken soup when it was 100 degrees or more outside (we've stopped watching). Special request of son upstairs with covid. I figure today to tomorrow will be d-day for me, so waiting to see. Tonight will be either leftovers of the soup or verde chicken enchiladas and spanish rice made the night before or whatever DH makes. Could be BLT's -- not really into cooking today.
    ...See More
  • wizardnm
    15 years ago

Kathleen, you are sure putting me into the fall mood. I was at Khol's yesterday and they had some of the cutest dishes and @50% off! I thought of you. I almost bought some but have no place to store them so I talked myself out of it.
    Thanks for sharing you wonderful decor...love it.

Tonight I tried a new recipe. A smoked pork chop type of dish. It had a mix of potatoes, onion and apple on the bottom, then swiss cheese. Set the smoked chops on top and bake halfway. Pour a white sauce with Dijon on top and finish baking. Pretty good but for some reason I wanted some cabbage in it too....maybe sauerkraut.

Nancy

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That sounds good Nancy, ...you are good at trying new recipes! I tend to do the same over and over...
    I have no room for anymore dishes either...dh is getting ticked off! LOL
    Thanks for the tip on Kohl's!!! I can just look...;(

• sooz
    15 years ago

Gosh, I'd LOVE to get in a Fall mood! The temp today was 97 degrees! It's 78 right now, and it's a bit after 8:00 pm. Difficult to get in a Fall mood when it's HOT. It's October, for goodness sake! It was raining last Saturday! Who's messing with the weather here? LOL

Beastly hot and sweaty...

Love the pumpkin plates!

Smiles (while sweating a lot),
    Sooz

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I agree, Sooz,that's too hot to think Fall. I only started to pull out my Fall stuff, it was still summery last weekend.
    I see I put an a instead of an e in shepherd, mea culpa...

• fearlessem
    15 years ago

Oh Sooz -- I'll trade you! It is definitely fall here - today was a grey and brisk fall day, with lots of color in the leaves and me wondering how long we can hold out before starting up our coal furnace!

Dinner was a Moroccan chickpea stew. It has chickpeas, lentils, brown rice, swiss chard, roasted tomato puree, and some yummy Moroccan hot pepper paste called harissa... Nice and warming!

Emily

• sooz
    15 years ago

Ahhh, kathleen, we "teacher-people" even catch our own spelling errors!
    :O)

My fave sub's last name is Shepherd. He says I'm the only one who spells his last name correctly. I said it was pretty easy considering the root words of shepherd--someone who herds sheep or cares for a herd of sheep. That's how I remember it anyway, although I have found myself swapping out an "e" for an "a" and then I usually catch myself.

Of course, there are all those other spelling demons that get me sometimes! lolam

Smiles,
    Sooz
    (it's still 78 degrees but now it's 8:30)

• User
    15 years ago

Everything looks and sounds delish! That pumpkin casserole is so cute! Kathleen I can't even imagine where you store everything but you are inspiring me to add a few Fall pieces.

Nancy that dish would cry out for sauerkraut to me too.

Last night we had Beverly's Parmesan Crusted Pork Chops and they were delicious. Thanks Beverly! Served along with braised cabbage, asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes.

• Solsthumper
    15 years ago

Kathleen, it's good to see you and your festive tablescapes once again. The little acorn vessels are very cute.

Annie, your ravioli is killer. I tend to only make the spinach/ricotta ravioli because Sam loves it. But I need to try something new. Who knows, I could stumble upon some new ravioli filling which might satisfy my heterogeneous group.

Hey Sharon, todav estoy esperando tu retorno, acompañado con las hermosas fotos del viaje a través de Canadá. Espero todo esté bién contigo y todos tus seres queridos.

Ann, did you get my email? If not, I'll resend it.
    Nancy, I'll email you in a few.

Dinners: Chili and Cornbread and our typical, fall favorite Shrimp and Andouille Gumbo. Desserts have been mostly fresh fruits, lots of Honeycrisp Apples and the atypical Guayaba, North Americans know it as Guava.
    The ones I found here looked a bit anemic, as opposed to the ones I enjoyed as a kid, which had a rosy, sweeter flesh. Not one to look at a gift horse in the mouth, I was tickled to've stumbled upon this tropical fruit, heah, in the boondocks, and aside from its appearance, it was still pretty damn good.

I'll dust off the kitchen to bake something before I leave for the shop today. I have a heap of apples and a few red pears - what to do? I'll chew on this while I read a few more threads.

Sol

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

Wow, your meals all sound and look so wonderful and comforting.

Indicanoe, nothing is more comforting than eggs and toast.

Sooz, your enchiladas look soooo good! As does dessert.

Kathleen I just love your pumpkin plates! Your shephards pie looks pretty darn good too. Sorry you didn't care for it much.

Sol, your meals are always amazing and beautifully presented!

Dinner last couple of nights have been, an ethnic type of meatball dish that contained cumin and bulgur and cooked in a red wine tomato sauce, served with brown rice and Sol's zucchini pancakes (which I just love). The first time I made them with a blue brie and tomato jam and they were heavenly. Last couple of times I have been topping them with feta before flipping, (hubby likes them that way better) I love the leftovers.

Last night was japanese pork cutlets, soy beans, gyoza, salad and chinese green onion cakes. Dessert was pumpkin whoopie pies.

Shelley

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Back again on the WFD. Nice to see everyone's lovely food photos and Sol....tus fotos y creaciones gastronomicos son tan bellos como siempre! Some of my travel pics are over in the Gallery but I will post some more when I am back on my own computer.

I'm fighting with my hubby's German keyboard cuz my computer is in the hospital and may need a new cerebral transplant LOL. Of course the ailment could be caused by the handfuls of cat hairs which were inside the workings! Our computer fixit man has taken it away in his jeep and will give it a good examination. However we may need to replace the innards and reinstall all my programs....a pain but it will then have more powerful new components. Thank heavens my photos are stored on a separate portable drive.

So here we've been busy with document renewals, as living in a foreign country requires an extensive paper trail entailing hours of travelling to and fro from office to office. But at last I've had time to get in the kitchen and prepare something decent.

I wanted to copycat a chicken teriyaki recipe with stir fried vegetables over rice that my sister and I had in Canada. I managed a near perfect copy and Wolf and I really enjoyed the result. I had to buy the teriyaki sauce but I hope to make it from scratch if I can find the Mirin (Japanese wine). It was also difficult to find spring onion for the garnish at this time of the year. I'll type out the recipe once I'm on my own computer.

Today I steamed a pot of seven vegetables and we had that with a fillet of herb and crumb crusted salmon. That also was good, and now I have lots of leftover veggies for something tomorrow....maybe an omelette or a fryup with bacon.

The weekend is coming again... have a good one!

SharonCb

• shaun
    15 years ago

Just popped in to applaud these photos..... my goodness!

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sol, I would love to see your table...your meals are just so beautiful!

Sharon, wonderful pics!

Shelley, don't worry..ny neighbor got the rest of the Shepherd;s pie and she loved it...so it was just me..I liked it, but didn't love it!

Hi Shaun, good to see you!
    Chase, there's always room for one more dish..get rid of one you don't like, LOL.

Tonight we had a simple meal, spinach salad with chicken...

• patricialynn
    15 years ago

Sol, your picture of Shrimp and Andouille Gumbo looks wonderful. I tried a search for the recipe and could not find it. Would you please post it?

Thanks so much, Patti

• Marigene
    15 years ago

A quickie as I am headed out the door....glad to see you back Sharon, along with your delighful photos. They have been missed.

Kathleen, your table settings leave me with my mouth wide open! Every night a different one; lucky Mike.

Last night was pork chops, cabbage/onion/apples, sweet potatoes, green beans and for dessert, freshly baked brownies.

• User
    15 years ago

So many mouthwatering meals. Sol, as always your dinners look spectacular. Your Shrimp and Andouille Gumbo, looks sooooo good.

Welcome back Sharon, your photos have been missed.

Sharon (Chase). I'll have to look for Beverly's recipe. I love Parmesan cheese in bread crumbs for coating chicken/pork and halibut.

Marigene, the perfect fall dinner. Everything on your plate is a favourite of mine.

Dinner last night was just toasted Canadian Back Bacon and fried egg sandwiches.

Dinner Wednesday night was grilled New York strips, baked potatoes and broccoli tossed with garlicly buttered bread crumbs seasoned with parmesan cheese.

I don't normally save leftover veggies, but I did this time. Yesterday morning I cooked up some pasta, tossed it with the leftover broccoli, added a little more parmesan and a little butter. Left some for Moe and took the rest to work for lunch. Perfect, just heated up in the microwave. Pasta was so good that next time I'll make it this way for dinner.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Kathleen your table settings are lovely! And I bet that chicken and spinach salad was delicious.

Marigene that sounds like an ideal fall dinner....I can't get enough of those yellow sweet potatoes. And I had the first brownies in years while in Canada. I see one of the local German bakeries here has started selling them.

Ann that's one of my favourite combos....pasta and vegetables. I think that's what I'll do with my leftover broccoli although I have basil outside in pots that's calling for me to make another pesto.

Today we were busy and were out for dinner. I had a craving for tortellini with gorgonzola sauce and Wolf chose a spaghetti carbonara. We shared a mixed salad which came garnished with pieces of white asparagus. Too full for coffees so we had them at home and later this evening we had bowls of sliced strawberries, frozen berries and ice cream.

Guess my computer is in the hospital for at least another 5 days. :-( Oh well at least I can use Wolf's despite the difficult German keyboard. I'll blame any typos on that!

SharonCb

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Beautiful plates/tables/photos everyone!

Sharon Cb, I eagerly await that chicken teriyaki and stir fried vegetables recipe! I had to laugh at the cat hairs in the computer! Mine usually has crumbs in the keyboard.

Nothing worth a Kodak moment here: last night was a chicken taco salad - second one this week! But it is pretty good if I do say so myself.

I just made the dough for a Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. I'll use what I have on hand for the filling: muenster cheese, mushrooms, homemade sausage, onion and those yummy 6-in-1 tomatoes. I bought a large shallow pie pan some time back at the restaurant supply store so that is what I'll be using to bake the pizza.

Have a good weekend everyone - stay cool or warm or dry depending on the weather where you are! ;o)

Teresa

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

Marigene, your porkchop dinner looks so good, as do your brownies.

Sharon, lovely photos as usual, great to have you back.

No photos here either. I always seem to remember after I have eaten. Gonna have to work on that more.

Made a king crab stuffed beef tenderloin with whisky peppercorn cream sauce to go over it. Potato latkes, lemon broccoli, and a crisp tomato flatbread rounded out the meal.

Last night was a tuscan bean spinach soup with homemade bread. Tonight will be leftovers.

Shelley

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sharon, the colors in that salad are amazing, and the other dishes look delicious too...

Marigene, you always have good dinners except when you have fish or too many veggies...:)!!!! Brownies are always welcome, and don't forget I have to have applesauce with my pork chops when I come!

Ann, you are weakening on your leftover rule! Sometimes, they are pretty good, and that bowl of pasta looks delicious..

Shelley, crab stuffed tenderloin, WOW! That sounds excellent. Yes, next time take a pic...that meal sounds very special!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Went to the farmers market last Sunday and among other things bought a couple of pecks of green tomatoes. I sliced and froze quite a few like annie does(thanks!). But I fried up the rest for dinner. I also roasted patty pan and zucchini, potatoes( nuked em first)onions and huge mushrooms after tossing them all with herbs de provence garlic and olive oil. I made cornbread with green chiles and cheese to go with it all. A little eclectic I think.
    Going to the farmers market again tomorrow morning. Making white chili tomorrow night for dinner.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Teresa lol......Oh I have the crumbs in the keyboard as well as the cat hairs inside the tower!
    I hope that's all that is wrong with it.

Shelley that sounds so good....king crab stuffed tenderloin yum!

Cooperbailey....farmers' markets are hard to resist aren't they. I went to the local one the other day....and as usual came back with more than we can eat.

Saturday we went to our little inexpensive Austrian place for lunch. Wolf had suelze...(head cheese or pork in aspic) with pan fried potatoes & onion and I had a chicken breast over salad. I was proud of myself for not having any chips or potatoes that day! :-)

Sunday today and I wanted to use up the rest of those market vegetables so steamed them and put them into a Spanish omelette. We had some sliced tomato on the side and then a slice each of an apple cake from the bakery for dessert.
    I love being able to buy cake one slice at a time. It does help to control the waistline.....I think.

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Sharon, I don't know which looks better, the Spanish omelette or the apple cake; I would eat both right now.

After a very busy weekend of fall cleaning I threw a couple pork cutlets and white gravy together.

• Solsthumper
    15 years ago

Wow Shelley! I dare say you and I have the same tastes in food, from the Potato Latkes to the King Crab Stuffed Beef Tenderloin with Whiskey Peppercorn Cream Sauce. But then again, who wouldn't he happy with those choices?
    Do you deliver?

Gracias Sharon, pasaré por la galería en un segundo. Your salads look so fresh; everything looks wonderful, especially that Tortilla Española. Wish I would've had that for breakfast, instead of oatmeal.

Ann, the colors of your Broccoli and Pasta dinner look pretty, but I'm willing to bet it was also delicious.

Kathleen, take my word for it, you wouldn't want to see my table settings. I don't have the patience, the talent, nor the inclination to do that on a regular basis. I typically plop the plates on the table, yell: "Come and get it!" Family quicksteps into the DR and proceeds to help themselves. Done.

We normally eat out on weekends, so I have no pictures to contribute today. But this morning -before getting Thumper ready for school- I baked a savory tart, and now, I'm working on a few loaves of bread. Tonight's dinner is still up in the air.

Sol

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Well since hubby called and said he was staying after work to play basketball..I can actually probably snap a picture of dinner..

I have wheat buns rising for hamburger. Kellan(#2) and I, sliced apples and filled the dehydrator with apple chips, then he chunked up some more and we filled the crock pot for applesauce I'll finish tomorrow.
    Oh and I made these for the Speckled Beast.
    {{gwi:1826107}}
    Think I can trick the boys to eat them? LOL See them next to the cookie jar..LOL

• User
    15 years ago

Terri, those dog biscuits look good enough to eat. You might be able to trick the boys. LOL!

Sharon, I love the picture of the apple cake. I'm having a problem with my computer too. It is making some noise that does not sound healthy. I have Friday off and I'll take it in then to get serviced. Hope if lasts until then.

We had our Thanksgiving dinner last night.

I roasted two turkeys. One was a fresh free range turkey that I presalted on Saturday night and wrapped well. Sunday I removed the plastic wrap and let it air dry in the fridge. The back up turkey was a small 11 pound previously frozen turkey. I presalted it just overnight on Sunday night and roasted it in the morning.

Check out how different both turkeys look after roasting. Both were roasted at 500°F. The smaller one for 90 minutes and the larger one for 2 hours.

Back up Turkey

Free Range presalted

I made the tuna pate with baked buttered pita triangles for an appetizer.

Sides were our traditional sides - mashed potatoes, gravy, rutabaga, brussel sprouts and cranberries cooked with a little orange zest and Grand Marnier.

Dessert was Apple Pie , vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.

• stacy3
    15 years ago

oh yum. Ann, your dinner looks amazing - makes me want to live in Canada and celebrate early with all of you! I haven't made the tuna pate in a while, I will have to.

sheesh, Terri - even your dog bones look good - LOL!

oh Sharon, that apple cake looks so good! And each time you mention tortellini with gorgonzola, you get me craving it.

I am too far behind to mention everything - I just love perusing this thread, though. Such delicious looking food with gorgeous presentations.

Stacy

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ditto Stacy! It all looks good..beautiful pie, love the scalloped pan!

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Dog seems to like them..LOL I bought that cookie cutter last week..just for her..but then I thought I might use to cut out Auntie Doe's shortbread and dip in white chocolate for Halloween too...

Here's lastnight's easy dinner.

Homemade Wheat Sandwich Rolls (new recipe)
    Homemade refrige pickles
    {{gwi:2068047}}

• maggie2094
    15 years ago

Everyone's meals look and sound amazing!

I have missed this thread! Tonight we had Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower, Parsley, and Breadcrumbs. It may look like a white blob in the pic but it is one of those simple things that are so good - it looked more appealing in person - LOL. We are doing vegetarian once to twice a week now. It would be a great first course, too. Also, a pic of the Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes I made for Andrew's class. I am so not good at this stuff! LOL It wasn't this week but it's my one other food pic recently:) Happy late Thanksgiving to all the Canadians!

• shaun
    15 years ago

Love all the pictures!

Here's my lunch today -

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Some really, really nice pictures since I visited last. Everything looks and sounds wonderful!

In the last week we have had Italian Subs. ordered out from the new place up the street. I could have made them myself but had not been feeling well so these worked and were good. Chicken soup that I had in the freezer along with bread or whatever. Shrimp Scampi, salad and bread was next. I got an Eye Round Roast on sale and cooked him up at high roast temp. for x number of mins. per pound and shut the oven off. Came out excellent. We ate sliced with mashed potatoes, gravy and steamed broccoli. The next night I sliced the eye into thin strips and turned into Beef Fajitas along with Mexican style beans and salad w/fruit & poppy seed dressing. Very good. Used the rest to use as steak salad for hubby for work.

I need to get caught up on the board. I miss being here.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Plenty of good food since I was last here mmmmm....turkey...pumpkin pie and so much more!
    I had to rescue this thread from page 2. I'm another who has been too busy the last days to do much cooking, although one day we had bacon & eggs with oven chips and it just hit the spot.

Today we were out for a fish dinner....battered hake with tartar sauce. Wolf had his with German potato salad and I had mine with bratkartoffeln....panfried potatoes, onion & parsley. Two pieces of fish each, together with a glass of wine, 1/2 liter sparkling water and a local beer, the meal came to around $US 17.50 total for the two of us. We're lucky to have several little places like this where we can go to dine without feeling we are overspending. And nice to change out of our house clothes, have a little walk and chat with people we know.

Tomorrow I'm going to tackle making osso bucco with garlic mashed potatoes.
    Haven't made that for so long I had to look up a recipe on the web.

Weather here still warm and humid, with a few raindrops and sunshowers from time to time.

Happy Weekend everyone!

SharonCb

• diinohio
    15 years ago

Sharon, I had to go looking for this thread too! That fish looks so good!

Lunch today was spinach quiche

leftovers will be WFD, and dessert World Peace cookies-
    such enablers on this forum!

Di

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OKShaun, I hope that is sugar free light cream on your pie!! I always have Diet Coke with my fries! :)

Dixie, we had eye round a few nights ago too. DH made dinner, and he isn't into pics...I still have a piece left..if he doesn't eat it on sandwiches I will reinvent it, LOL..

Maggie, the cupcakes are adorable...and I love cauliflower. Huge heads here at the farm for 99 cents. Dh isn't crazy about it, so I always look for a new way to make it..Yours looks delicious and LOW cal, HAHA...

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Lots of very nice dinners, too many to comment on, though!

It was a lovely fall day here, so I made brie with green chile soup and corn muffins.

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

We had hamburgers on the grill tonight along with roasted potato wedges and salad.

Tomorrow night friends are coming for dinner. One friend has moved back to the area and we are celebrating him being back home. The menu:

Shrimp with cocktail sauce, crisp veges. w/two kinds of dip
    Individual crab imperial casseroles
    Rice Pilaf
    Lettuce mix w/each persons choice of dressing
    Crusty Bread/Butter

Gooey Apple Cake for dessert. I love this cake. It is strange in that you cook the "icing" into it. I got this recipe from a woman on the Cooking Light Board and it has been a hit each time I make it. Made tonight so that it is ready for tomorrow.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

We had Popeye's Spicy and followed it up with Maggie Moo's.
    We had a 5pm football game and stopped at Popeye's/Maggie's after the game.

Last night was baked potatoes (russet for hubby and sweet for me) ribeyes, roasted orange cauliflower and sauted spinach for hubby.
    I think tomorrow may be crispy chicken sandwiches and fries or pizza.
    Kathleen, you MUST try the World Peace cookies. I think I might make those this week too...
    I think I'm also going to try and make Ann T's maple fudge and caramels cover some apples for teacher gifts. :o)

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I don't usually pipe in, but I read these threads a lot. We had fried chicken, potatoes, homemade rolls yesterday, nothing special, but I made the World Peace cookies for dessert-WONDERFUL. And I made the gooey Apple Cake this week too. My kids LOVE it the first day, but not so much after. It does taste different, just as good, but the baked in frosting changes as the cake gets more moist. A real winner though

• User
    15 years ago

Maggie, Your ice cream cone cupcakes are sooo cute. I bet they were a big hit.

Shaun, I like your idea of lunch. YUM!

Sharon, I could almost be tempted to eat out every day too if that was all it cost.

Di, I love those cookies. Your quiche looks delicious and I wouldn't mind a slice of your quiche for breakfast. For for dessert I'd like a little of Dixie's Gooey Apple Cake.

Here is what we have had for dinner the last three nights. Thursday, hot turkey sandwiches with homemade fries.

Friday night - Parmesan Crusted Halibut

And Saturday night grill New York strip roast.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Great looking food here as always!

It has finally cooled down a bit here so I made cream of tomato soup the other day using the 6-in-1 canned tomatoes and a cream sauce to thicken - quite good. Last night I made Sweet and Sour Chicken using the dark chicken chunks from the Angel Food Ministries box. I enjoyed it and will make the recipe again.

This morning I made up a recipe of the dog's food in my pressure cooker and might make some bread today.

Wish I had some of Ann's halibut!

• bunnyman
    15 years ago

Looks like some nice dinners!

I bought fried chicken from the grocery deli and a cup of green beans. Half the chicken was gone before I got to work and the other half made a snack at break. So for dinner I had a cup of rewarmed green beans and some cashews I had in my pocket. Less then a feast but it was not so bad I won't do it again today.

: )
    lyra

• User
    15 years ago

Always love to see and read what others are eating. It gives me ideas for the weeks dinners which is how this thread came to be so many years ago... a reach out for dinner ideas.

Last weeks dinners were Thanksgiving Day leftovers Tuesday, baked ham with homemade mac and cheese Wednesday, leftover ham and a potato gratin with Gruyere and shallots Thursday, wings and potato skins at the local pub Friday, Sara and I out for Chinese Food last night.

Tonight is lasagna, salad, and garlic bread.

As much as I enjoyed each and every meal the scales tell me this weeks meals need to be a little lighter!

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Company is gone, dishes washing and I'm kicking my feet back. We had a great time. All of us are very full from the shrimp & crab imperial. I had already made dessert (picture above) and told them not to bring anything. Well, one couple shows up with cherry cobbler and another with apple pie! I snapped this photo of shrimnp & veges/dip.

• trsinc
    15 years ago

This is my first time on what's for dinner. Is it ok to just jump in?

I bought a bunch of dried red peppers last week to make Harissa (a red pepper paste - mine is mild). That's what I made this morning. After toasting, soaking, pureeing, and pushing through a sieve I had skins and goop left. So I added a bunch of water and pushed through the sieve again. With that I made enchilada sauce. So... tonight we had chicken (with onion and jack) stuffed enchiladas, topped with the sauce, cilantro, more jack and broiled. Then topped with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream. No sides - I figure we hit all four food groups.

In between making the harissa and the sauce, hubby and I worked in the yard, finished building our arbor that leads to the veggie garden, and I did a few other chores.

Hubby has just finished eating, I've just left the kitchen (not hungry yet) and I'm enjoying having a rest while I type! It's 8:45 my time. I'm kind of too tired to eat tonight. But, they'll be good for breakfast in the a.m. :)

• stacy3
    15 years ago

oooooh, lots of great inspiration here.

Teresa, I'll arm wrestle ya for that halibut!

dixie, that cake looks so great it sent me googling. Is this the recipe?

Gooey Apple Sheet Cake

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cake Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    For the Cake:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1 cup butter -- melted
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 c buttermilk
    2 c chopped apples -- (1/4-1/2 inch pieces)
    1 1/2 tsps ground cinnamon
    For the Topping:
    3 cups powdered sugar
    8 oz. lowfat cream cheese
    2 eggs
    1/4 c oats

Mix melted butter and sugar with a mixer. Add eggs and beat well. Combine the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, mixing well. Fold in the chopped apples. Spread batter into well greased (or sprayed) 13 x 9 baking pan. Mix Topping ingredients and put over cake BEFORE baking. Bake in a 350ºF oven for 40-45 minutes. You can store this on the counter OR in the refrigerator.

marigene, I love your leaf plate - it's quite funny that each time I look at it, your muffins look like they're somehow suspended above it - like they're levitated...

welcome to WFD trsinc! your enchiladas sound great...hope you're enjoying them for b'fast.

Last night, I roasted a turkey breast and we had squash, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and stuffing. I just had half a turkey and stuffing sandwich for breakfast.

This week I am making more of Diane's cabbage rolls - my aunt wants some, and I will freeze some. I'll also be starting prep work for things that can be made ahead of time for the Halloween party on Nov. 1.

Stacy

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Oh yes that halibut looks good doesn't it. And also Dixie's apple cake.....I'll cut and paste your recipe Stacy.
    And lovely presentation of the canapes Dixie.

Welcome to the WFD trsinc...I bet your enchiladas were delicious!

Yesterday I had the best osso buco I've ever tasted....and I made it from a recipe from the web that looked interesting as it used dry sherry and brandy in the sauce. Oh was it ever good! I halved the recipe as I was using two pieces of beef shank (no veal here) about one pound in weight, and I increased the chopped vegetables. We had it with steamed and mashed potatoes, carrots, leeks and cabbage. Now I'm going to also drag out my slow cooker and try using the same ingredients for some other pieces of beef.

Here it is:

New Italian Recipes Presents

ITALIAN OSSO BUCO

Ingredients:
    3 lbs. Veal shanks Note: If you can't find veal, or the cost is prohibitive, you might try lamb shanks. Some recipes say you can substitute beef shanks. Keep in mind, if you use lamb or beef, the meat won't be as "fall off the bone" tender. The wonderful, meaty-vegetable stew taste will be there, however, so it's still worth it. Additional Note: If you use veal, you may want to tie cooking twine around the shanks to keep them from falling completely apart during cooking.

3-4 T extra virgin olive oil
    2 T butter or Butter Buds
    1 red onion, coarsely chopped
    1/2 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
    1/2 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
    3 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
    1 large stalk celery, coarsely chopped
    5-6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    1/3 cup Marsala wine or dry sherry...(I used a very dry sherry)
    1/3 cup brandy
    1 T balsamic vinegar
    2 T tomato paste
    1 sprig rosemary
    4 sprigs thyme
    2 bay leaves
    2 cups chicken broth (homemade chicken stock recipe)
    Veal or beef stock can be substituted.
    Salt and pepper to taste

Gremolata:
    2 T chopped Italian Parsley
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 t grated lemon peel
    1 T lemon juice

Mix in a bowl and reserve to sprinkle over individual servings.

Preparation:
    In a large skillet or Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid, add 2 T olive oil over medium high heat. Season shanks with salt and pepper on both sides, then brown them on all sides. When browning is down, remove the shanks to a bowl to be added back in later.

In the same pan, reduce heat to low and add 2 T olive oil and butter or Butter Buds.

Add the onions, peppers, carrots, celery and garlic. Stir well to coat, then cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. (This will allow the vegetables to release their juices.

Add the Marsala or sherry and the brandy, also the balsamic vinegar. Stir in well, cover again, and let simmer on low for about 6-8 minutes.

Make a "bouquet garni" out of the rosemary, thyme and bay leaves. (Wrap them in cheese cloth and tie with cooking twine.) Add this to the simmering vegetables, along with the tomato paste. Increase heat to medium-high and add the shanks and chicken, veal or beef stock. Stir both in well to mix with vegetables.

When broth is boiling, reduce heat to low again and cover. Cook for about 1-1 1/2 hours. Veal should be "falling off the bone" tender after an hour or less. Lamb or beef might take a full hour and a half to reach maximum tenderness. Falling off the bone is probably not going to happen with lamb or beef, but the meat should be very tasty and quite tender.

Garnish with gremolata, and serve the osso buco with the above-mentioned risotto, or with creamy mashed potatoes.

In keeping with true gourmet cooking, here are a couple of variations for you:
    1. Add either a 14 oz. or 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes at the point you add the Marsala and the brandy.
    2. At the end of cooking, mix 1 cup of sour cream with 1 T of flour. Stir into the osso buco and remove from the heat. (This would give you a German version. Call it German Veal Shank Stew!)

Source: New Italian Recipes

printer version of online recipe.

***************************************************************************************************
    Sharon's Note: I halved the recipe but used 1/3 cup each of onion, celery and carrot chopped very finely into a mirepoix.
    rather than chopping these three ingredients coarsely as called for in the recipe.

SharonCb

• diinohio
    15 years ago

Everyones meals look so good! The seafood is calling me but so hard to get here.

As usual AnnT's are over the top.

trsinc, I hope it's ok to just jump in here I did!

Days here are glorious but frosty at night so yesterday I made chicken noodle soup and corn bread sticks (thanks annie and arley- they came out of the pan perfectly)

Dessert was coconut meringues.

Recipes for Apple Cake and Osso Bucco have been saved, thanks

Di

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Yes, but Di, how did they taste? That's my criteria, I like it when they look nice but they gotta taste good!

Annie

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH