SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy77_gw

Need Direction, redoing LR & DR

kathy77
12 years ago

I have a small ranch home, built in 1949, and lacking any 50's modern styling. My LR is small, 11' by 13' with a cove ceiling. Have a picture window facing west in a square bumpout. The LR & DR have a wide doorway between them with a pointy arch, so I want to do either the same color or coordinating colors on the walls. I'm taking out the LR carpet and having the hardwood floor refinished in natural wood color, and the DR floor as well.

I hate my LR sofa, it was a bad choice, only 2 years old and I now see it's junk, got it at Gardner White Furniture :( Coffee table & end tables are old & mismatched. The only things in the LR that I plan on keeping are the Ikea beech color TV/entertainment stand, and a similar bookcase next to it.

So I don't have to match carpet or furniture in the LR. In the DR I have a dark color Queen Anne DR table & chairs, but that set, inherited, is in poor condition. And I don't think it goes well in my small DR that also serves as the hallway really. Would it be awful to paint it? Should I try to sell it? Someone told me it's worth $7000.00, but I don't believe it.

I'm thinking of getting a Pottery Barn Basic sofa, mostly because of wanting something comfy that will last.

I like for color, blue, teal, and cream. My current sofa is red, and although I am getting rid of it, I like the red more than I thought I would, so I could go with red and what?, not sure. I love blue and white together. I love blue and yellow country french, but doubt I can pull it off on a modest budget in my small LR.

The walls are being repaired the week of Feb 27, so I need to pick a paint color soon. Was looking for a neutral off white with warm tones.

So I am free to do whatever I want, recently divorced so don't have to consult a hubby. And being so free, of course I'm at a loss, which way to go now? LOL

A PB sofa and cream colored walls doesn't sound like much of a plan does it?

Comments (2)