SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Counter to become deeper for DW. What about symmetry?

theresse
14 years ago

Hello,

Our kitchen counter (runs along the length of the room and that's the only countertop we have. There are kitchen doors on either side which are at risk of getting partially blocked should we bring the countertop out too far. Presently - and probably for many years now - the sink sits out further (deeper) than the rest. But now that we're going to put a dishwasher in to the left of the sink, the counter will have to come out to match the depth of the sink.

My question is this: do we just do that and call it good, or should we bring out the same amount of distance on the right side of the sink as well, for the purpose of symmetry? There will be a sense of blocking the doors a little, because if this knocking-out were to happen right next to the doors, it WOULD be blocking it by an inch or two, but my hope is that the eye is fooled since this would happen a couple of feet from the doors.

I was excited about the idea of making the cupboards below the sink 'cuter,' e.g. putting little feet on them and maybe painting them something different. The Shaws 30' farm sink will go there so the cupboard doors will be shorter too which adds to the cute look. But now that the areas on either side of those sink cabinet doors will be brought out to the same depth, the cute thing won't really work, will it? Is that a silly question? Darn!

See link below for a picture that shows a little of what we're talking about, as well as this link which you'll need to paste into your browser please, since I don't know how else to do it:

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/01/before_kitchen_countertopbacks.html?cat=kitchens

The European dishwashers (e.g. Bosch) aren't so much shallower than the rest of them that they could prevent having to knock the counter out, right? I mean the counter is currently 22' deep, I believe, and then is about 24' in depth where the sink pops out.

Thank you so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of the general area that needs to be figured out

Comments (13)