SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davis_mbd

What do y'all think about this house?

davis.mbd
9 years ago

Hello!

This home was last purchased in 2006 for almost 200k, and has been on the market for eight months now as a foreclosure at 109k.

The MLS pictures are uninviting and dark and the interiors are stripped and a little scary... but I know enough about our local vernacular to recognize a dogtrot when I see one. I have always loved dogtrots, I have always wanted to restore an old home, and in my imagination I can see great potential in this house - but I am trying to get a sense for the cost/reasonableness of reaching that potential.

The dogtrot portion has been enclosed and two additions built bringing the square footage to 2450. The whole house has ugly and ill-placed casement windows. I'm guessing the additions/windows/brick fireplaces were mid-century changes, which would match with the property appraiser's building date of 1950 (sorry, but that stone chimney was NOT built in the fifties... I'd guess the original portion was built at the turn of the century or a little earlier).

I have not seen this house in person (it's back in the woods), but do y'all see anything to alarm other than general disrepair? I'm thinking structural issues that would scream "run away." And if not, what do you think might be a realistic range for a reno budget? The appraiser's site does say it has central heating and air, though of course I have no idea re. condition.

This post was edited by davis.mbd on Thu, Oct 16, 14 at 13:17

Comments (18)