SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Sticker shock at the fabric store (and a solution?)

alisande
13 years ago

I haven't made any clothing in years, but I'd like to get back to sewing--and the anticipation of my second grandchild arriving this summer is a good motivation. Also, I thought it would be fun to make matching barbecue aprons for my son-in-law and his two daughters (9 and 11) as a gift for his birthday. So I ventured off to Joann's.....

Another customer told me McCall's patterns were $1.99. I thanked her, but was unimpressed, since that's what I expected to pay. And then I looked at the regular prices. Mon dieu! Whoever heard of paying $13 to $18 for a pattern?? Lots of people, apparently. All the people who've been sewing over the past 20 years, while I was doing other things.

The other customer and I chatted a bit, and she told me that fabric was quite expensive now, too. She said she buys dresses at the Salvation Army--the larger the better--and cuts them up to use the fabric for sewing. This had never occurred to me, although it's exactly how I get the woolen fabric for my rug hooking. It didn't appeal to me for baby clothes, but I thought recycling denim might be an idea (for the barbecue aprons). I wasn't sure how economical it would be, though.

I soon found out. Denim was $12.99/yard! So were the cotton knits I wanted to use for baby clothes. It will cost me way more than store-bought to make my grandbaby a little gown or romper. I'll do it as a labor of love.....but then I'll head over to TJ Maxx and pick up some cute outfits. I do want to make a baby quilt, though.

Getting back to the aprons, I found a size 2X denim muumuu at Salvation Army. At $6.99, it wasn't even half-price (my usual standard for SA purchases). But it looked like a lot of fabric! Turns out it wasn't all that voluminous.....after cutting, I was left with two yards of 36" fabric. I guess it's sort of a bargain, considering current prices, and maybe I'll be able to use it for this project with some creative laying out of the pattern pieces. If not, I'm sure I'll have a use for denim when the baby gets older.

There was a time when I saved a lot of money by making my children's clothes, but now I'm surprised anyone is sewing. Those of you who sew, how are you dealing with it?

Comments (39)

• marie_ndcal
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Even though I don't sew, here are some ideas. Check garage sales, auctions, especially farm auctions. Sometimes the women have bought material to make quilts, but never got around to it. Material now comes from many sources but do watch the overseas stuff. If you have any senior friends live on ranches/farms just ask if they have any material in ceder chests. Many do, but just don't know what to do with it.
    If you travel, check small towns as many have variety stores especially in the mountain area, like Tenn, etc.
    Hope this helps.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

Sign up for JoAnn's Fabrics mailers. The have 1/2 off coupons quite often for 1 yard of fabric.

However, I agree. Sewing clothing is quite expensive these days because of the cost of all the supplies.

• Related Discussions

Shopping Shock, or how I saved 44% by buying online @ JCP

Q

Comments (24)
    I was in JC Penneys last week in their curtain department and had already done my on-line shopping ahead of time so I was aware of the prices. I wanted to see the curtain panels in person before buying on-line. The price was higher in the store and when I discussed that with the saleswoman she said she would honor the on-line price. I then also told her that I had received an email that morning for an extra 20% off anything on-line that was only good between 7am-11am. I was in the store at 10:20am and she said she would also honor that!!! It doesn't hurt to ask...the only risk is to be told "no" and have to go home and place the order on-line. Instant gratification is SO sweet!
    ...See More

Sticker Shock - Undercabinet Lighting

Q

Comments (10)
    I don't know the cost of ours, but can highly recommend them. We have the Kichler linear lighting U/C lights (hooked up to a dimmer) and love them. Seagull and Juno also make linear lighting systems (or they did when we did our reno 3 yrs ago). We had an ongoing problem with some of the bulb/lampholders not lighting up until we jiggled or flicked them. Fed up, I finally called Kichler about it this past fall, whereupon they determined that the problem was likely the older style lampholders (which we had). They sent out the new and MUCH improved lampholders (they actually lock more tightly onto the track, unlike the older style), and I am a happy U/C lighting user. I am very impressed with the company as well, for recognizing the problem, and for sending out new/replacement lampholders (at no cost).
    ...See More

Sticker shock, buyer's remorse

Q

Comments (48)
    Evilbunnie (and I love that name!), I definitely don't think your post was finger-waggie. You brought up some excellent points that I hadn't considered, such as contingencies, the my possibly unrealistic $5k remaining budget, etc. What sealed the deal for me on my decision was when I sat down with my trusty Excel spreadsheet, with this forum's advice in mind and the pricing I'd done on the things I wanted, and laid out a 3-step, 2-3 year plan. Even with doing mid-range components (nothing super expensive, but better than rock bottom), I came up with $17,500 for my total. And that's if everything had gone right. I cancelled the cabinets the next morning. I decided that I simply could not afford to do what I wanted to do with my kitchen. I would rather do a $500 patch job to get me some temporary storage and to knock out the wall to give me more open space, than to spend, say, $10k or $12k and end up with a kitchen that I just wasn't happy with. And truth be told, things always go wrong, don't they? To do what I really wanted to do, it probably would've ended up at $20k if not more. The fact is, I'm 27 and I still have student loan debt. I have a secure job that I love, but that doesn't pay awfully well (I'm a writer for my state's fish and wildlife agency). My budget is tight with a mortgage on one income and this economy is just plain scary. My cash needs to stay in my savings account. Your advice and everyone else's brought me back to earth. And I am SO thankful for that. It's a tough lesson to learn, but we just can't have everything we want at this moment, right? I believe we can have what we want, but slowly and with planning and hard work and good old-fashioned saving money. I am so glad to have changed my mind before it was too late. And how wonderful to be adopted! :)
    ...See More

Fabric Sticker Shock! Any Alternatives?

Q

Comments (7)
    Here's an upholstery yardage chart that shows an overstuffed sectional. It says 34 yards, which sounds about right to me. These charts usually are on the generous side. I started a thread recently about a fabric seller on ebay who often has fabric in quantities sufficient for sectionals: LINK If you need any additional convincing, I got my 25 yards of sectional fabric on ebay for $200, including shipping. It's "Wink" by Unika Vaev and the net price given on their website is $53/yard. I don't know if that's retail or wholesale, but if I'd had to pay that much it would have cost $1325 instead of $200! I love gorgeous fabric. Ebay is the only way I can afford the good stuff. And I pay way less for it than the fabric stores charge for fabric that isn't as good quality.
    ...See More
  • williamsburgjane
    13 years ago

There was an item on news last week about fabrics were really going up because of shortage of cotton to make fabric. I got my shock when I went to buy Christmas fabric last fall. Now I wait till I get my coupons from Joanns or Hancock's fabric store.

• kacram
    13 years ago

I stopped sewing my clothes. It just got too expensive.

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

Absolutely sign up for print mailers and the e-mailed coupons at the Joann's website (in the last e-mail I got from them, there was a 50% off coupon; there are coupons for both their webstore and for in-store).

• OklaMoni
    13 years ago

Susan, sign up for their "specials". I only buy when I can use a coupon from them.

Same with stuff from Hobby Lobby, use a coupon!

Moni

• susie53_gw
    13 years ago

Yep, fabric can be very expensive.. Sign up for the Joann's coupons. You can do it online or in the store. You'll get their flyer in the mail plus ones online. They start a big sale on the 6th. Send me you address and I'll send a flyer to you with the new coupons in it. There are 6 40% off coupons and 2 50% off coupons. It doesn't matter if you buy 1 yard or 10 yards in one cut you get the discount. There is also a book called Fashion Fusion. It is put out by Simplicity. There is a lady in a black and white dress on the front. The book is $2.99 and there are 4 coupons on the back for 40% off and 2 50% off. They are good until June 18th. The book is usually on the cutting counter or around the pattern area. If you ask they will tell you.. Buy the book and then use the coupon for what you are buying.. If your Joann's has red tag ( clearance ) fabric be sure to check them out. There is often good fabrics there, too.

Would you like the towel bib pattern? I'd be glad to send it to you, too. Easy to make. I watch and pick up hand towels on clearance. I picked up 40 of them a short time ago for $2.00 a piece.. I've made all my grandkids them. My girls love them because they can just wash their hands and faces and toss them in the wash. Easy to make..

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

My kids needed fabric for a school project a couple of weeks ago. I ended up donating some of stash because their group couldn't find anything they needed in reasonable prices.

I like to buy clearance stuff when it goes on sale after the holidays. I've found that solid colored tabled clothes are cheaper than buying fabric. I buy them when I can find them for cheap. I let the kids cut them up and use them in their projects for school. They might not work so well for sewing. It would just depend upon what you needed it for.

• woodsy_1
    13 years ago

I haven't made clothes in years, but I sew all of my home decor items. I'm linking to one of my favorite fabric sites. Their home dec fabrics are top notch. I can't see the apparel fabrics being any different.

Congrats on the new grand!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabrics

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

You are lucky to have a JoAnns ours moved out several years ago and now have to go over 100 miles to one. (saved a lot of money tho lol)

• linda_in_iowa
    13 years ago

Alisande, I went to a baby shower over the weekend and the parents had registered at an alternative gift site. They suggested people look at Goodwill, Salvation Army and our local baby consignment shop for items. They also suggested CraigsList. I got the baby a cute denim baseball cap at GW for 59 cents. I also got 10 onesies on CL for $10. The onesies were like new, as was the baseball cap.

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

Susan -
    At least I can help you with the apron pattern. I have an easy one that I've used many times and I always make it out of denim. You can easily embellish the front with your own embroidery or store bought appliques which hold up better in the laundry - and believe me I need to launder my often. I'll check for it and get back to you.

• User
    13 years ago

A couple years ago I was going to buy a pattern and was horrified at the price. It was about $16-18 for a simple thing. It's not worth sewing now at these prices. You have to find fabric at yard sales.

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

When I go to JoAnn's I usually check out the remnant section first. I've found some good buys there.

• vetaal
    13 years ago

Susan -
    You'll, most likely, end up spending more on handmade baby clothes. I do some sewing and I buy fabric on garage sales (sometimes dirt cheap). Also sewing thread: if I can find a box of 40-50 spools for $ 5 it would be a bargain comparing to the store prices, no matter how big of a sale they might be running.
    Patterns go on sale for $1 every couple of weeks - Simplicity and mcCall's, Vougue stays at $3.
    Our Joann runs sale on 1/2 off on red tag fabrics every 2 weeks. Some of those are very nice and after sale you'll end up paying $ 1.5-2.0 for a yard of cotton.
    They also allow coupons from competitors (Hancock, Hobby Lobby and Michael's) to be used.
    I find it easier to shop for fabric the way I shop for food: buy when it is on sale with coupon, not when I need it "now".
    Hope you'll have fun getting back to sewing.

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

vetaal is right....you can buy tons of fabric and at a reasonable price....you have a stash.......you just buy it on sale.......JoAnne's has great clearance fabric at $1 a yard and I buy a lot of fabric at Wal-Mart too.

There are still many many women who sew.......who make their own clothes and those of their children. Lots of great sewing blogs out there too.

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

Forgot this one.....If you have a Hancocks they have decent oriced fabric too.......and big sales. You can also order from these places online.........

• phyllis__mn
    13 years ago

My girls and I used to sew everything we wore, it seemed. I'm apalled at the lack of patterns in what we used to term "misses" styles. Lots for little teen-age styles, but believe me, I don't want that! Hancock is good for sales, as I discovered last fall.....I bought fabric that will make about five new tops, for around $50.00. Now if I just get the ambition to make them!

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all your helpful input! I expected to see a bin of clearance fabrics at Joann's, but it was empty because they were doing inventory.

I signed up for Joann coupons a while ago (Michael's and AC Moore, too), and brought them with me to the store. But of course they allow only one coupon per purchase. Since I don't live nearby, I'd like to pick up numerous things while I'm there. I also have the March coupons and flyer, but thanks anyway, Susie.

All the fabrics I saw were made in China. The pretty cotton prints for quilting look like they have a low thread count; I was surprised that the quality wasn't better. At least it wasn't what I remember from ages ago.

Our Walmart sells fabrics, but no cotton knits. I've bought cotton prints from them--similar to Joann's. Now they're charging the same price as Joann's. They have a clearance bin, which is usually good for a chuckle because you wonder who could possibly want some of this stuff, it's so ugly. I'll keep checking it out, though, just in case. They have an abundance of fleece, which would be fun to use at some point.

Veta,thread was another shock. I was remembering good, cheap thread available everywhere. I must be very old!

I hadn't thought to check yard sales for fabrics. I used to be quite the yard sale fan, but haven't gone in past couple of years. This could revive my interest! I used to have my own fabric stash, saved from way back, and it included some lovely double-sided flannels from a top children's clothing manufacturer (I forget which one). But we made the mistake of storing it in the barn. The "critter proof" container turned out to be no problem at all for the mice......

I'm good for patterns, thanks, as I bought several each for baby clothes and aprons (how optimistic of me!) when they were on sale. I'm interested in the towel, bib, though, Susie, and I'll email you my address. Thanks!

Minnie, I can't imagine driving 100 miles to buy anything! That would be like me going to NYC. Great prices there, but it ain't gonna happen. Call me lazy. :-)

Linda, what a neat idea for the baby shower! That sounds like something I'd do (if I'd thought of it). I buy clothes for myself all the time at Salvation Army, but I haven't looked at kids' clothes yet. Our store is rather low-end, which makes the hunt for decent clothes all the more challenging, but we'll see.

Woodsy, thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it.

One more thing: I bought denim at Joann's for the two girls' aprons and asked the clerk to cut two pieces, 1.125 yards each. She said she's not allowed to "custom cut." If a customer asks for several pieces of the same fabric, she has to add up the total and cut one piece. This is something else that's new to me. She said it's because customers return fabric all the time, and they can resell a large piece easier than a small one. I can't imagine returning fabric unless there was something wrong with it. I wonder what excuse these people give?

Thanks again, everyone!

Susan

• User
    13 years ago

This MIGHT help..but you decide...

Here is a link that might be useful: discount fabric

• OklaMoni
    13 years ago

One more thing about JoAnns coupons: Hancocks here in the OKC area at least... accepts JoAnns coupons!! Which was very nice as Hancocks was 10 miles closer to me where I lived before.

Moni

• susie53_gw
    13 years ago

Susan, have you asked if you could use more then one coupon? We can use as many as we have with us as long as we purchase the same number of items. Also our ladies will ring things up separately for us to be able to use a coupon. I'll get the bib pattern copied off for you..

Do you have the new flyer that started on the 27th? If not, I have an extra one I will send along with the bib pattern..

Susie

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't ask, but perhaps I should. The cashiers at Michael's used to allow more than one coupon, but no more. They said the management cracked down on it.

I'd appreciate your extra flyer--thanks! I sent you an email; let me know if you don't get it.

• scraphappy
    13 years ago

I pretty much quit making my own clothes years ago in favor of quilting. I heard the rumors about the price of cotton fabric going up. Although I probably have enough fabrics at the present time to last me another lifetime or two, they are coming out with such pretty new stuff! Hard to resist!
    I shop the sale bins at the fabric stores, and use coupons, and just this past weekend went to a "quilter's swap" where those who have too much, or want to get rid of unwanted fabrics from their stash, can rent a space and sell - kind of like a garage sale. I wish now I had picked up more - sure don't need it, but it was definitely the right price! A well-known quilter (Bonnie Hunter) has written several books about repurposing thrift-store clothing for her patterns and quilts, and I've also done that at times. Alot of good quality 100% cotton in some of those XXXL mens shirts.

As for patterns, I'm keeping all my clothing patterns - most of them are pretty much classic styles. One old, old coat pattern was $5.00, but a more recent one I bought a few years ago was $16.95!!

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I kept my patterns, too, Scraphappy, and was looking forward to making one of the sweet little sleepers I'd made for my babies......but it turns out the mice got into those, too--in the house! I need to have a talk with my cats......

I'll keep my eye out for those XXXL men's shirts!

• tinainky
    13 years ago

I've bought fabric from fabric.com several times, and have been mostly pleased with it. They have constant sales and clearance prices and it can take hours to look at what they have. The thing I don't like about buying fabric online is the touch factor - you just never really know if its what you want unless you can run your hands over it.

I always buy fabric when its on sale or clearance, and have quite a stash. My husband has learned to not ask "what are you going to make with that?". The answer is usually "I don't know, but its a great price!".

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I used to sew everything. Buuuuuuuuut....I can buy name brand clothing at the thrift store for "cheap". I taught myself upholstery last year. This is still doable. There's a local hole in the wall store that has a HUGE mark down/discontinued rack....$1-$2 a yd fabric. I purchased 12 yards of printed linen for $2 a yd!!!!! I purchased a designer fabric, left over from a bolt a decorator ordered...for $1 a yard. Then I went to Joanns Fabrics to make the lumbar pillows. I spent as much on the lumbar pillow fabric as I spent on the whole chair!!!!!!! Yikes!

I purchsed a couple yards of fabric at the thrfit store and stashed it.

Walmart here has a dicount rack, $1.50a yd(I see you already tried that)

I've been talking to other sewers online. One lady shops store on Ebay and gets gorgeous fabric and great prices....I book marked it, but haven't tried it yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay fabrics recommended to me...

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention; Hobby Lobby. I purchased fabric there...

• susie53_gw
    13 years ago

Susan, I didn't get the e mail.. Be sure and ask about using more then one coupon. On the coupon it reads Limit one coupon per one regular priced item. As long as you are using a different coupon for each item you should be ok to use more then one. I'll send you the flyer along with the pattern.

Susie

• susie53_gw
    13 years ago

Susan, I sent you an e mail.. They also have Simplicity patterns on sale for $1.99 starting the 6th.. Their Snnuggle Flannel is wonderful. It comes on sale the 6th for $1.99 a yard. It is usually $5.99 a yard.. I made 12 blankets and took them to the hospital nursery. I am working on some more to take this weekend..

Susie

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

I never pay full price for patterns if they are Simplicity or McCalls or like that. The stores put them on sale all the time and some places have them 1/2 off all the time. Also, Ebay and Etsy are a good source for patterns. And there are a lot of free patterns on the internet now, for craft things.

I've been paying $8-$10 a yard for quilt-shop quality cottons for years, so that's nothing new to me. The stuff I found at WalMart was always inferior to the fabric at quilt shops, they start out with a different grade of cotton. Same with the quilting fabrics at Hancock's and Joann's and Hobby Lobby. The cotton isn't the same and neither is the process they use to print it. You can feel the difference and you can see it, too, sometimes, by holding it up to the light. If I can see every thread by just looking at it, it's like cheap, low thread count sheets- I don't want it.

I don't make any of my own clothes anymore, it's impossible to get a good fit and it's too expensive to end up with something that either doesn't look right or feel right when wearing it. I need to be able to try things on.

• pixistix
    13 years ago

I don't sew clothes for myself anymore - only crafts/household decor. I do sew for my 2 1/2 yr. old granddaughter, but judiciously . . . they outgrow clothes so fast and you can get them so cheap now - much cheaper than I can sew them, so I only make very special or unique things for her. This winter, I made her a couple of animal-print fleece coats with black fur trim that get comments every single time we go out the door!

My Joann's store has a rack of flyers right inside their door, and every one has a 40% off coupon for a 'cut' of fabric - as much as you want, as long as it's not on sale. Once I use my mailed coupons, I can go back as many times as necessary and use another flyer coupon. When I have time, I look through the pattern books and make a list of the patterns I want, then wait until they go on sale for 99 cents to 1.99 . . . which they always do, within a few weeks or so.

I really miss our Walmart fabric section, so I'm pretty much at the mercy of Joann's . . . although we have a factory a half hour away that makes worldwide draperies, bedding, etc. They have an outlet store that sells end rolls of all their high quality decorating fabrics for next to nothing. I have made lots of valances, pillows, etc with their fabrics for a few dollars.

I also mix and match pattern pieces to get a new version of something . . . it's true, sewing isn't what it used to be (cheap), but with a little effort, you can still "get your project runway on" and express your creativity without breaking the bank :)

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I just read the Hobby Lobby ad...they have Simplicity patterns for .99cents this week, limit of 10.

• azzalea
    13 years ago

Unfortunately, Walmarts are really iffy on fabric--so many have discontinued carrying it. And it seems that individual stores can have vastly different clearance prices. I'm lucky--the closest WM to my house still has fabric, and they always have a HUGE selection of discontinued fabrics for .70 to maybe 1.50. I rarely ever pay more than that for fabric, and I sew all the time. Not clothes--they're too much trouble. But I make a lot of quilts, gifts, wall hangings, quilted checkerboards. Now, I'm using up some of my extra stash of fabric (remember, "she who dies with the most fabric wins"!) to make bibs for hospice patients. I was appalled by the babyish style of the one given to my aunt, so I've been making stylish ones--that look like vests or are decorated, etc. But I digress.

I never buy patterns--with a degree in fashion and design, they're a waste of time for me.

But here's what I wanted to tell you. It's the most economical way to buy fabric. Sheets--preferably on sale. They're perfect for quilt backs because you can avoid having a bulky, unattractive seam(s). The fabric is just fantastic for making smocked dresses and pinafores--I used to have a bit of a cottage industry doing that, and I used sheets for fabric, almost exclusively.

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't know you had a degree in fashion and design, Azzalea--good for you! I wanted to be a fashion illustrator when I was a teenager.......I didn't start sewing until much later. Thanks for the tip about sheets!

Nicole, we don't have a Hobby Lobby here, but Jo-Ann's had the same sale a few days ago. Sorry to say I missed it.

I'm off to Jo-Ann's tomorrow with a long list, clutching my coupons. (Thanks again, Susie53!)

• susie53_gw
    13 years ago

Have fun, Susan.. I'm going into our Joanns today, too. I want some of the sale flannel. Our Joanns and Hobby Lobby are just down the street from one another. I check out the Hobby Lobby clearance fabric, too. Their fabric is a little pricey but do have good deals sometimes. Our Hobby Lobby only allows one coupon, too.

Susie

• Sally Brownlee
    13 years ago

if you ever get to Lancaster county...there are lots of fabric stores - especially around the New Holland area.

I found this blogger talking about my favorite - Goodville Fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: goodville

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Did you get some flannel, Susie? The flyer said Cuddle Flannel was on sale all week for $1.99/yd., but my Jo-Ann's said no, it wasn't on sale. Maybe selected stores?

Cozy flannel solids were on sale for $2.50, and I picked up a couple of pieces: one in pale, soft yellow and one in a light "Seedling Green."

Oh, and they didn't know what I meant by "neck ribbing." The bib pattern calls for a piece 3.5 x 14"--is that cut from a larger piece of rib knit fabric? That's what the clerk suggested, but I thought I'd ask you before I bought any. Thanks!

• susie53_gw
    13 years ago

Susan, their snuggle print flannel is on sale this week for $1.99 ( on flap inside front cover)and the Cozy Flannel Solid ( pg 4 at the top) is $2.50. I don't know why they don't have all the flannel on sale at the same time. The solid was $1.99 a couple weeks ago. The snuggle is really nice flannel. It really washes and stays nice.. I think it is just to get you in the store in more then one trip.

And yes, the ribbing is the rib knit fabric. It usually sells by the inch. I buy several inches at one time and use one of the coupons. It comes in all colors.. It also comes in ribbed or smooth. I have used both. I usually use the white or tan color.

Inside the front cover of the flyer is a flap that folds out that has the snuggle flannel print advertised for $1.99. Check your area online and see what it says.

If I buy 10 things and have 10 coupons they always let me us 19 coupons.. Now far away is your Joanns??

Susie