SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frizzle_gw

'Daddy, we have a probwem.'

Frizzle
16 years ago

...was what my 4 year old said down the steps to my husband yesterday.

I, in my ultimate brillance decided to do something about the tiles around the upstairs tub yesterday. The grout was cracking and had popped out in some spot so I had my little scraper and was making sure all the loose bits were out so I could regrout. (4yr old was "helping" with his own scraper too!)

Um, yeah.

One tile was a little wiggly so I kind of pushed on it a bit to test it....

fwooop

RIGHT THROUGH THE BACK WALL!

Crap! After a little exploration it seems the tiles were added to some sort of drywall-ish NOT cement backerboard material. The wall was rotten as all get out, there was mold on the BACK side of the materials and the tiles just fell into your hand as you touched them.

get what project we get to tackle now?

We called our contractor guy to come take a look and tell us if it's a DIY or if we need to call someone. (He's great, he'll be honest.)

Right now we have about 45 tiles out and nothing under but bare stud walls. I'm guessing we'll have to take the entire thing down and start fresh. Fortunately (depending on how you look at this mess) only two of the tiles were broken when they fell, the rest are all but clean on the back. You could hardly tell where the mastic or adhesive was on them!

We could reuse them. We'll see.

I love my old house.

I love my old house...

Comments (10)