SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
druidclark

Energy Audits

DruidClark
18 years ago

Will try to keep this short, but said last week in a semi-related thread that we'd had an energy audit on our house and it was the BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT ON THIS OLD GIRL!

There is an assumption that replacing drafty old windows is the best way to weatherize a house. Truth is, according to the Deparment of Energy, that heat loss through windows is something like 10%, whereas heat loss through walls is about 30%.

To test this, our auditor (among other things) set up a big old blower on the front door. When it was turned on, the house air rushing in through all the leaks repressurized the house. This test proved out the theory, btw, that it's not all about the windows. We have some big holes (fireplace and access to attic, but also no insulation in the walls).

The cost of the audit was about $250 abd will include a computerized analysis of where to spend our dollars.

The ahas for me, where that (1) fiberglass insulation is not worth much. It's glass, therefore, air makes its way through the fibers easily, unless the insulation is pink to pink (paper backing facing the two spaces) so that there is an impermeable barrier. blown in cellulose, whereever possible is a better type of insulation and much more eco friendly. This Old House has an article this month on alternative insulations. Haven't read it yet, but it looks useful.

(2) Isolating the attic and cellar from the main living space will also greatly reduce heating bills. Our auditor recommended not even using the attic and insulating the heck out of it. This is much more doable in a modern house that's truss built, but I need at least some attic storage space. Basement wise, the void between the joists next to the sill plate should be filled.

Etc., etc., on the information gained, but this is getting too long.

Long story shortish, you can google the DOE for lots of links, or contact your local utility and ask for energy audit information, including the blower door test.

The DOE does have a do it yourself site, which is somewhat useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY energy audit

Comments (23)