SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sable_ca

72-year old bathroom remodel

sable_ca
18 years ago

We are about to embark on a necessary rehab of our front bathroom. Our house was built in 1933 and is rather Spanish revival in style. I have two questions (and more later).

First: I had always thought that I'd replace or cover the floor. However, the other day I looked at it again and wondered if we should keep it (it's original). It's a standard one-inch white hex tile with occasional black hex inserts. It is not cracked or damaged in any way and has never even remotely leaked. The white tiles have, however, dulled a bit. Now I think that I can live with this if it means being true to the house. Can anyone think of any reason why we should not keep this floor? Any suggestions as to how to clean it (I've never used anything but the most mild soap and water)?

Second: the tub surround and bottom half of the walls are covered in white subway tiles with black trim, also original. They are deeply cracked and chipped in some places and must come down as there is no way to repair them. We will retile the surround, but I don't want to put new tile on the walls. I don't like the black and white motif on the walls, and in general am not fond of the tile look on a wall. I would like to resurface the bottom half of the walls with beadboard. Does this sound reasonable as to style? I love the look of beadboard and it's certainly being shown a lot in catalogs and shelter magazines. I would paint it a warm off-white.

I should add that we'd like to hold down expenses in this room, as there's so much else to do in our personal This Old House. Also, the room is very small and has an odd shape. The fixtures can't be moved and the footprint has to stay. The most I can do is to make it as true and charming as possible.

All suggestions are deeply appreciated!

Comments (19)