SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perel_gw

Fixing up original 50yo aluminum windows

perel
18 years ago

I have a 1955 Cape Cod with the original aluminum windows. There are also aluminum storms/screens over them; I don't think they're original to the house, but they don't look out of place and the house does need storms.

I very much do NOT want to replace our windows. However, they need a good bit of maintainance, and most of what I've seen about fixing up old windows is written for old wood ones.

Here's what I'm thinking needs to be done. Am I missing anything? Would window/glass companies be the best ones to talk to about all this, emphasizing that I am *NOT* asking for a replacement-windows quote?

- Replace all missing/broken panes (picture window storm pane and a few regular window panes and storm panes)

- Clean all glass inside and out (there is a LOT of grime on the outside and between the windows and storms; getting to most of the windows is ladder work and I'm not comfortable on a ladder)

- Remove all branches/vines from window area (again, ladder work - ivy has made it under the storm panes on a few windows)

- Clean exposed aluminum (I'm not sure what the best way to do this is)

- Repair all damaged screens (possibly change out all screen material for the "catproof" kind)

- Caulk and seal with clear silicone; eliminate all drafts from window area

- Replace all broken window latches (a few are missing)

- Lubricate all window slides, etc. (a few are sticky or don't latch in the up position correctly)

- *possibly* apply thermal/reflective film to windows. I need to figure the cost/benefit on this one.

Did I leave anything out? Should I be thinking about new aluminum storms in the same style as the existing ones? The windows themselves aren't worth changing out IMO.

Comments (4)