SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Repairing a big ceiling hole with new lath and plaster?

bayareafrancy
16 years ago

Hi all,

I just had a new furnace and ducts put in. One of the installers took a little mis-step in the attic, and his foot went through the lath and plaster. The resulting hole is about 1ft by 3ft (a bit wider than 1' in places). My husband insisted that they repair it with lath and plaster, and they said ok. They claim their contractor is experienced with lath and plaster (we'll see about that--he isn't coming until Thursday).

My question: we won't pay in full for the heating job until our ceiling is fixed (but we'll pay the majority). The heating guy made some comment like "that's fine; the celing will be fixed on Thursday." But it *won't* actually be fixed on thursday, right? The original plaster is 3/4" thick. I'm assuming that such an amount has to go on in layers, and takes a while to dry. Is that right?

So, about how long will this repair take (so we can explain to them why they aren't getting the rest of their money this Thursday)

Also, if this guy is experienced with plaster, should texture matching be easy? The original texture is rather gritty (lots of teeny tiny lumps--like a precursor to the modern popcorn celiling!).

Thanks so much for your help!

Francy

Comments (4)