SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
potterstreet

Renovation Novice Seeking Advice, Pretty Please

potterstreet
12 years ago

Hello to all,

First, I'd like to thank everyone on these forums as I have been trolling them for three months and have been illuminated on any number of subjects. I love that folks are so sharing with their experiences and knowledge.

First, a little background. We bought our very sweet 1890 Victorian six years ago. We live in a lovely old Revolutionary War town and our house is in the historic district. It's a three story, skinny but very charming house. We've had a lot of work done to the exterior including an entire new roof (they took the old one down to the rafters) and an insanely labor intensive historical restoration paint job which basically consisted of removing every speck of paint from the house and starting anew. The crew took months, but did a fabulous job.

Luckily, the inside of our house is in pretty good shape. I painted every room, but all in all, it was okay - with the exception of the dated kitchen, which, though sort of sweet with its fifties style knotty pine cabinets, really needed a lift. We're going with some really gorgeous distressed black cabinets, a marble counter top, white subway tile, cork floors, a copper sink and a copper ceiling. We have great Southern exposure and big windows which overlook our nice yard with a beautiful restored old shed from the mid 1800's and then a block away, a two hundred and fifty year year old beautiful old Revolutionary War Tavern. The view is nice, worth the price of the house really!

The kitchen is basically an L but we've worked a 42" peninsula into it to give me more room to work. There are four doors. I'm a serious cook so this renovation is really exciting!

I'm basically looking for some ideas for high end cabinet hardware, lighting, a faucet and some paint color ideas.

For the hardware, I am considering copper to tie with the ceiling and the sink. What do you folks think of that? Also, can you suggest a good hardware manufacturer?

For lighting, I am considering some black metal pendants, very old school.

The faucet is giving me a headache because I want a double handle and my husband is moaning about having two handles. Mind you, he's a lovely guy, but this will have no impact on his life. He doesn't cook at all. In any case, I'll wear him down on the type, but what do you think about the color or finish. Black, antique bronze?

Finally, what color would you be considering if you were in my place? Farrow & Ball sells a color called Dorset cream, which is a warm, rich cream. Our kitchen is the heart of the home and I want it to be warm. Any ideas? Benjamin Moore has a color called sweet butter that is similar, but I really like Farrow & Ball and might splash out on it.

I realize I've thrown a lot out here. Thanks for any & all ideas! Again, I have really appreciated going through the forums!

Jane

Comments (11)