SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginabmg

Design advice pretty please!!! Almost ready to give up!

ginabmg
14 years ago

Begging for advice please! My kitchen is 22 feet long and 12 feet wide. I am using 9 feet for eat-in area (wonderful gathering spot - don't want to give that up), so that leaves me 12 x 13 for the kitchen. I currently have a 6 feet peninsula with upper cabs that runs parallel to the eating area. We want to gut the whole kitchen so I have a blank canvas to work with.

I have met with three different KD's who all want to put an island in my kitchen. As many ways we lay the blue tape out, my husband and I just don't feel comfortable with this. Sink run on one side and refrigerator/with pantry on other side, cooktop at one end and eating area at the other end. With 24 inches of cabinet/refrig on either side, that leaves 8 feet in the middle. No matter how narrow we make the island, it doesn't leave much walking room around it and I don't see how a 2 foot wide island (one KD suggested 21 inches) running down the middle would be attractive or useful. Seriously would it be that awful/wrong to have a nice 34 inch peninsula at the end of the sink run and maybe a 34 inch square movable (?) island in the center of the work space?

Sorry this is so long and that I can't post a diagram. I would love any advice the experts can give me. What started out as fun/exciting (DH is telling me to do whatever I want - this is a special 10 year cancer free gift from him) has turned out to be a headache and stressful instead of fun. I am so sad right now I am ready to give up and live with the crappy cabinets....

Comments (19)