SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzie_nh

Colored trim with white vinyl windows???

lizzie_nh
12 years ago

This is not really an "old house" question, but I figured this forum would be the best place to get advice as it's sort of a "new old house" question.

I currently live in a new (post-2000 Cape) in New Hampshire, on "old" land (lots of historic stone walls and cellar holes in the woods, etc..) Unfortunately, everything about the house is modern (vinyl siding, vinyl shutters, vinyl windows.) I know, I know. I was not around when this house was purchased by my husband. In any case, there's nothing I can do about all the vinyl right now... it would be prohibitively expensive to replace the siding and windows when they are all new and in excellent condition, and at least the exterior color scheme is classic - white with black shutters.

To my question - the vinyl windows are double glazed with those faux muntins set between the two panes of glass, making the windows look like classic six over six divided light windows. I'm not a big fan, although from a distance they look fine. The issue is that the windows and "muntins" are white and cannot be painted. This is fine right now because all of the interior and exterior trim is also white, so although it's not exactly historically correct, we still have a reasonably traditional look.

However, I am interested in adding "period" elements to the house - wide pine floors and other things to bring it at least somewhat more in line with the 18th century Capes around here. I am a big fan of white or cream walls, with trim and windows painted in a period color - a light olive/sage green, or yellow ochre, etc.. Unfortunately, while I can paint the trim, I would not be able to match the window frame and muntins. Would it look extremely odd to have the walls white or cream, the trim a color, but the windows white?

If this is extremely misguided, I won't be devastated. I'm pleased with the classic white trim look, too - it's clean and cottage-y, but it's more of a post-WWII Cape look than an 18th or 19th century Cape look.

Comments (9)