SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_g_in_ma

Where do you shop? Let's make a resource list!

Sharon_G_in_MA
19 years ago

I have a '20s Colonial and most of the furniture in the stores and most of the kitchens and baths in the magazines just wouldn't work in my home. In particular I can't stand the foofy, overly carved hugely scaled pieces that seem to be increasing in popularity. Now in a Victorian they might be perfect (on a smaller scale), but for me and my home they are not.

I find myself repeatedly drawn to the simple lines and medium scale in stores like Restoration Hardware. It is such a cliche but I go there for inspiration again and again!

For lighting, if I don't go to Resto or Rejuvenation Hardware or maybe Pottery Barn I head straight to ebay, especially for chandeliers.

In my mind, because my home has such inherent (but clean-lined) detail, the last thing I want in it are pieces that take away from that. To me the big foofy furniture is better suited for newer homes that have less character and need a focal point.

A little crystal on a chandelier and a little bit of Louis (either XV or XVI), with everything else fairly simply lined, seems right for me. I seek balance in color, texture and materials.

What about you? Once you're done fixing it up, what do you put in it? And where do you find it?

Comments (46)