SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackcats13

feeling overwhelmed - long and detailed

blackcats13
15 years ago

Normally I am the type to figure out what needs to be done and "just do it", even when it's something I don't want to do. But now I'm feeling paralyzed more and more often, there's so much that needs to be done, and so much that builds on other things, etc. So I need a set plan that I can go to, can I get some advice on a plan?

Some background. We just bought a new to us house built around 1920 in Chicago. We both have decent jobs, and we purposefully bought a house that left us with a little $ left over after the bills every month. We have some cc debt, not a HUGE amount, I think around 10K, all around 10% interest. I know this is kinda personal, but it's relevant. We both have college debt. Our cars are paid off, but old. So far no sign of trouble, but I'm holding my breath (we have 1 mandatory 2 - 3 hour car trip weekly). I have a small amount of medical bills from back trouble this summer. We have DSL but not cable or satellite. Eating out will be a rare occasion now that we've mostly settled from the move. I've already worked out most of a budget plan for mortgage and monthly payments, but will need to put more towards the cc for my own peace of mind.

I still have to be very careful of my back.

Still a lot of unpacking to do.

In no particular order we need to: Reside (not terribly urgent YET), new tear off roof (no leaks yet but ASAP, and expand already there dormers if that is possible), rip out concrete on one side of house and re-grade then waterproof that basement wall from inside (preferably soon), gut and redo the upstairs bathroom (not currently usable for reasons we haven't determined) before the downstairs bathroom becomes unusable (it also needs a gut), replace vent hood above stove, in the basement sister some beams and add a little support (DH can do this himself for not too much $), more insulation in the attic, drywall back stairwell where insulation is and probably put more insulation in actually, turn upstairs kitchen into master bedroom (involves hopefully removing wall separating orig house from add on so the room is a little bigger, or somehow adding a window if not), either replace rotting stairway outside in front of house or (our preference) add small front porch. Oh yeah, electric prob needs some work eventually. We don't have AC, and don't have the best air flow through the house due to the angle it faces and some stupid picture windows. The furnace is going to need to be replaced sometime in the next few years. Plumbing needs work, probably best to replace it all, but that isn't necessary yet.

Things we want to do: if there is room in that master also add a tiny bathroom with shower and sink (it will be on the other side of the wall from a current bathroom), wash/prime/paint EVERYTHING, tear up carpet and hope wood floors don't need lots of work (they don't seem to), clean and repaint exterior siding until it can be replaced to make it less ugly, there are 2 huge picture windows to replace with double hung - preferably not vinyl, add patio door and small deck off kitchen in back (currently have to go out a door, downstairs and out another door to access backyard - not great for grilling), plant a garden in back and flowers in front, finish stripping gunk off kitchen cabs so I can paint them and not have a paper towel wrapped around each handle because I'm so grossed out by touching them.

Things that will NOT be DIY: roofing, siding, plumbing, maybe electric (DH informally trained already), adding windows. Everything else DIY, unless further research determines it to be out of our ability.

We have no real savings, but are planning to put a very small amount every month into a "high" interest rate savings account that I already own, just so we are putting something away. We are both contributing to our 401K up to company match. We've been wondering lately if that is wise due to markets. I know that one is a personal decision, but throwing it out there anyway. And here's a big one - if we are going to have kids, we'll need to get started in the next year or so, as we aren't that young anymore. If we do have more then one kid we'll need a bigger car. And I can't be a stay at home mom because I'm the bigger paycheck AND the more stable job.

Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle this? Or even what you would do? I'm not adverse to seeing what someone else would do and how it may or may not fit my situation. I've already got the prayers going to every god I know and my grandmother that nothing goes so seriously wrong that we end up a bankruptcy statistic LOL I also haven't lost my sense of humor.

Comments (13)