SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kakapo_gw

Basement wall repairs / waterproofing

Kakapo
18 years ago

I have a 150 year old Greek revival home (in Connecticut) and I am in the process of sorting out the basement -- building storage, making a workshop and laundry space, and generally tidying it up (we bought the house "as is" and despite hauling out a huge amount of trash and eBay treasure, the basement is still a bit disorganised).

The basement is in reasonably good shape -- it smells damp in the summer, but this seems to be due to condensation from the exposed water pipes. There is no obvious water damage and a concrete floor.

The walls are made of large, roughly shaped stones, and most of them have clearly been "waterproofed" at some point. Some of the motar between the stones is in bad shape, and the waterproofing compound (some sort of skim-coat like stuff, with a rubbery paint on top in some places) is crumbling into dust.

Before I put in shelves I want to clean this up, remove the crumbly material and recoat the walls. This is mainly preventive -- the lot is basically flat, but there is good drainage away from the house. However, if the previous owner went to the trouble of coating the walls it seems likely there was trouble at some point in the past.

So after this long preamble, here are my questions:

1) Does anyone have any criticisms to make of this Quickrete page (to provide a point of reference) and the coating it mentions:

http://www.quikrete.com/diy/ WaterproofingConcreteandMasonry.html

1a) Is there an "authorative" reference on this topic?

2) Any special comments as applied to rock/ stone basements, rather than masonry.

Presumably, I don't have to worry too much about using a "modern" mortar, instead of a soft lime based product, since large stone blocks aren't going to flex much....

Comment (1)