SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secsteve

Our Buddy has left us

secsteve
11 years ago

As I write this, the tears are flowing freely and I'm not ashamed to say so.

Back in November, Buddy was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease. He was put on medication for it and was doing fine, as you can tell by the picture of him I posted with the Christmas village.

He'd been doing fine until Monday. Monday evening he suddenly lost his appetite, developed a fever, had difficulty breathing and was completely exhausted.

Today, the vet discovered a large, rapidly growing cancerous tumor in his throat and concluded that there was nothing humane to do except to end his pain. We could have tried a steroid drip in an attempt to reduce the swelling and inflammation, but it would have just delayed the inevitable.

And so, Buddy has left and, for the first time in over 30 years, we are dog-less. Both George and I feel like our hearts have been ripped out. Everywhere we look we see him.

Needless to say there is a big empty spot in our hearts tonight.

Over a year ago, he suddenly decided that the back yard wasn't the right place to do his business and we had to go for walks 3 to 4 times a day. Not only did he lose weight, but I also lost 15 pounds. I promised Buddy I'd still walk every day like we had done for the past year. But it won't seem the same without him stopping every few feet to smell whatever new smell there was.

Comments (52)