SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Cooking With Coffee . . .

13 years ago

I spent this weekend helping a friend rebuild about 600 sq ft of deck at an old house deep in the forest of coastal Northern California. Very fun.

We ultimately had 8 or 10 guys, plus families. Reclaimed the old decking, old-growth redwood, 20 foot lengths with zero knots. Some of us stripped the decking off the demo'd joists, removed nails, ripped 1/2'' from each edge, planed all to clean wood and uniform thickness, while others tore down the old structure, installed new joists on the new posts and beams that had been put in under the old structure, blocked, taped, started installing the reclaimed decking, etc.

Lots of sweaty manly stuff, interspersed with espresso breaks - pinkies out, boys! - under the dripping redwoods, and some hearty meals - although sometimes there was contention for electricity: what's more important, the electric stove or the tablesaw?

Anyway, on Friday, before the big group arrived, it was just me and another guy. Due to a miscommunication, we thought we would be on our own that night, with no food other than what we could make. Tom had been at the house for 3 days, working and subsisting on a jug of milk and a package of luncheon meat. Brrrr. So I went to the local store and got stuff to make a basic beef stew. Which I made on the stovetop, low heat for 5 hours, and a bottle of beer and a 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce. The idea was a real gut-bomb he-man sort of stew, lots of potatoes and carrots and big hunks of falling-apart beef.

Which is where I made the mistake. I can be impulsive and experimental. And, full of macho ''real men eat anything'' delusion, I tossed in 1 cup of coffee.

Arrgh.. Coffee gets bitter when it is simmered for 5 hours, dummy. I did everything I could to salvage it - tomato sauce, more onions, sugar, cream, butter, more sugar - at one point I was convinced the stew would be inedible.

Fortunately, our hostess arrived that evening, along with about 10 other people, and made us all a tasty chicken Dijon. But, loath to waste my beef, I ate some of my ill-starred coffee stew. Surprise - it was pretty good. The bitterness was gone, the sauce had turned into a sort of creamy-smoky-sweet-savory stuff. Interesting.

Does anyone cook with coffee? I mean, anyone intentionally and thoughtfully cook with coffee in a pre-meditated manner? Any interesting coffee-cooking recipes to share?

Comments (12)