SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
home4all6

It's the 'Return of the Awkward Kitchen!'

home4all6
12 years ago

Hello GW friends! I have been away for a bit, as we had to focus on some other house issues, but now I am back and hoping to get my kitchen sorted out, with your helpful input.

We are planning to meet with some architects about the changes we will need to make to our basement stairs/landing and our powder room's location, among other things. If those two obstacles can be removed, our floorplan will look like this:

And just to review, I will tell you more about our home and our family. This is an old house, 1908, in the midwest. Stucco sided, 2 story, and the kitchen was an addition many, many years, ago, probably had been a porch or unfinished room of some sort. There is unfinished basement below and a bedroom above.

Our kitchen was updated, maybe late 80's, by adding on cheap oak cabinets to try to match the older and prettier oak cabinets that were already there. The old cabinets are big and spacious, but breaking and falling apart. The newer cabinets are crappy and completely falling apart. We have bought all new SS appliances in the 5 years we have lived here.

The kitchen is an entity unto itself in this house, completely cut-off from the rest of the house. To get to the kitchen from the LR, you need to take a good 20 steps and make 3 tight turns through 24" doorways. It's crazy.

Here is our current layout:

But there are things I like about my kitchen. IT's got a good layout. I love that we can all eat-in there--and we do, almost all the time.

And there are a lot of us--we are a family of 6, with young children, a 7-yr old, a 5-year old, and 2-year old twins. Because the kitchen is so cut-off from the house, we tend to congregate in there, for homework, puzzles, games, eating, painting, playing, etc. I can't watch the kids if they are in another room and I am in the kitchen, and I am always in the kitchen, prepping & cooking a meal or cleaning up from one. I cook because I have to, but I bake often because I like to.

So, I am offering up a blank slate. Please help me come up with the best possible use of this space.

I need:

~ a door to the deck along that wall. I currently have a glass sliding patio door. I am willing to change to a single door.

~ windows out to the backyard. Ideally I'd like windows around that whole corner.

~ good storage area for homework, papers, art supplies, etc.

~ I tried and tried to fit a banquette in this space, but I don't' think it can happen! I'd like to fit in as much seating as possible--6 would be perfect, but I think I'll be pushing it to get 4, right?

I am really hoping to get what we want/need without adding on. Is it possible? Can it be done? My photobucket has lots of my ideas, but I'm not sure if any are any good? Here is my latest, just to give you an idea.

(I think if you click on these floorplans, you get to my album?)

So, please, if you have the time, will you consider this kitchen and tell me what YOU would do with this space? I'd really appreciate it, as we begin this slightly terrifying journey into home remodeling/kitchen updating.

Thanks soooo much!

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of my house

Comments (15)