SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawnp_gw

The decorating treadmill

dawnp
13 years ago

I think I've been looking at too many blogs because now I am starting to hate my house!

Seeing all these blogs with the "Pottery Barn look" - painted furniture, white slip covered couches etc etc is driving me nuts. While I really do like that look (It probably wouldn't bother me if I didn't like it) I am frustrated that my home is feeling so "dated" (sorry) already.

We built our beautiful home in 2005. So, because it was popular at the time, much of it is decorated in "tuscan" colors - golds, olives, and brick reds. Particularly my family room.

When I got married in 1988 - I had peach and colonial blue - lots of oak, hearts, and ruffles. Next it was the jewel tones - burgundy, hunter green, and navy with lots of brass. So then when we built this house, I headed for the next current look.

I swear I will never again buy expensive rugs or furniture that follow a trend. I envy those like Palmimpset who do not do make this mistake!

I can freshen up the artwork in my family room, get a new coffee table but I'm stuck with the upholstery and rug for now. I'll post the room here for help down the road.

Any advice or comments? I really want to learn how to get a more timeless look.

Comments (44)